Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 12 Sep 17, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Help with recipes for cooking apples...

My two trees have got an abundance of fruit this year and with the forecast winds I am going to have to pick them and bring them in before the storm forecast for us knocks them to the ground.

Problem is my freezer is full up, it's still got loads of stewed fruit from last years crop.

Any of your thoughts, suggestions and recipes /instructions would be fabulous.

Thank you...
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Ooooh, I came on here thinking to say, I had to do the same this year but I just stewed them and then froze the results! Oops, sorry, I'm not a lot of help then, am I!

I do love shoving a bag of frozen mushy apples and juice into a casserole dish with some chopped, chunky veg and cubed pork. Cook realllllllllllly slowly for hours and hours and it is delicious!
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Ooooh, I came on here thinking to say, I had to do the same this year but I just stewed them and then froze the results! Oops, sorry, I'm not a lot of help then, am I!

I do love shoving a bag of frozen mushy apples and juice into a casserole dish with some chopped, chunky veg and cubed pork. Cook realllllllllllly slowly for hours and hours and it is delicious!
Oh sounds delicious and good when stuck for time...

I like pork loin steaks, Cooke them then add a spoonful of apple sauce and put a piece of cheese on top and grill them. Serve with baby potatoes and salad, yummy!

Going to try yours though, sounds fab. Thank you
mousettes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Have you thought about having a go at home made cider? It isn't that hard and you can make a press out of wood.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Have you thought about having a go at home made cider? It isn't that hard and you can make a press out of wood.
Not one drinks cider, we hardly drink any alcohol but thank you... wonder if you could do an apple vodka? I'm more likely to drink vodka.
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
But that would be illegal

Is it legal to distil spirits in the UK?

It is illegal to manufacture spirits in the UK without a distiller’s licence which is required under the provisions of section 12 of the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 and this includes manufacture for “own/domestic use”.
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

allrecipes/recipe/24335/apple-butter.aspx

I made this apple butter as it reminded me of Yoders Amish Restaurant in Sarasota. I will have to make some more it's nearly all gone!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
But that would be illegal

Is it legal to distil spirits in the UK?

It is illegal to manufacture spirits in the UK without a distiller’s licence which is required under the provisions of section 12 of the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 and this includes manufacture for “own/domestic use”.
See how little I know about alcohol lol... I thought you bought cheap vodka and put chosen fruit in it for a while to flavour it... I know nothing!
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mousettes
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anna-marie View Post
allrecipes/recipe/24335/apple-butter.aspx

I made this apple butter as it reminded me of Yoders Amish Restaurant in Sarasota. I will have to make some more it's nearly all gone!
Oh wow, that looks tasty, I love cinnamon too so that could be worth a try. Thank you
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mousettes View Post
See how little I know about alcohol lol... I thought you bought cheap vodka and put chosen fruit in it for a while to flavour it... I know nothing!
I suppose that would be acceptable. Just don't try creating it all from the raw ingredients.

Although adding apples to vodka won't really use that many apples up in reality. Unless you want to make a gazillion gallons that is