Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15 Sep 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Seemed to be the big story on UK media as we got a lot of messages asking if we were evacuated.

I was worried the night of hurricane as we had no power in the villa. We were under curfew from 10pm saturday until 2pm Monday in Lake County.

We did enjoy MK Saturday evening though as so quiet. Maybe people didn't go as they thought curfew was already in place.

Got petrol in Orlando no problem. The petrol stations in Sanford were empty on Wednesday. We filled up when we left villa. Thankfully Avis didn't charge us an additional fee for it not being being full as they understood the situation.
We also saved on the tolls as they were all waived.
Interesting about sanford. Fair play to Avis as well. Yeh tolls saved a few $ going back to airport!
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Well there was a fair bit of scaremongering all round wasn't there?

Those of us actually here were often shouted down by people that knew better!
Oh here we go. The bashing people who said you should prepare for the worst thread because the worst predication didn't happen.
Bal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
charleigh08
Very Serious Dibber

We bought plenty of food and water and no problem with getting gas. We were also lucky enough to not lose power. Yes I think this was sensationalised in U.K. my family were scared for me after watching it back in UK. I reassured them that we had a plan and were well informed
charleigh08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have extended family who live in Claremont and they're still without power - been told it should be back on by Sunday.

Looking at the daily update from Dukes, one of the power companies, there's still some big chunks of people offline.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

You're confusing Florida with Orlando. Orlando was mostly OK, I have family near Tampa that are still without power, schools closed, many gas stations empty. Further south was worse. Maybe they're getting sick of people saying all is fine, business as usual?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
Oh here we go. The bashing people who said you should prepare for the worst thread because the worst predication didn't happen.
Not at all. I have an issue with people lying outright to get attention.. Happened a lot.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

There is also a lot of flooding happening still too. An entire over 55 community in Kissimmee has had to be evacuated due to rising flood waters 2 days ago and Lake Jesup is still rising. Authorities are monitoring the I 75, as rising flood waters are threatening to close it.

The worst did happen for some people. Several have been killed using generators inside despite all the warnings.

I'm really glad that Disney is getting back to normal but people are still without power in places and the cleanup elsewhere is going to be ongoing for weeks if not months.

I agree about the media in the UK though, our family was worried sick because of how they reported stuff.
angelbabe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
I was referring to the fact a lot of us said there was food and water and no gas shortage actually and told people where to shop!
It was no picnic being here actually, especially as the power went down just after we were told the eye was headed for us!

Edited at 03:02 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Yes I just think its well off for people to scaremonger when people are already worried.

BTW - are you in villa in Lake Berkley or townhouse? We were there (flew home tuesday) and lost power on sunday evening and it was still out tuesday am. Townhouses were ok but not villas.

Seems the communities next door were also ok. Although I think we saw the electricity substation thingy over by the lake under a few feet of water!

Hope powers back now...
We are in a Villa we were without power for 42 hours! It came back Tuesday evening.
The problem was the big tree that fell down just before the resort entrance! However the landscapers are working their magic and it's all looking beautiful again.
Hope you enjoyed your stay apart from Irma of course.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Seems yesterday's heavy rain in Orlando caused more problems with flooding

It's been a miserable week for those on holiday. Water parks closed, queues for food, fuel and water. Hopefully no more hurricanes this year
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread