Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 17, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
or not signing in the 1st place £0... any decent agency would/should deal with any issues wihtout a fee

imo of course
I wonder if they charge everyone these fees, or just students :angry:
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
I hoped my renting days were over but then we moved overseas (Australia) for a while. We picked a gorgeous house to rent, spacious, modern with glorious sea views, we loved it. Then we moved in and found that the owner had left this huge antique dresser in middle of living room which meant that our furniture was not going to fit. They said it was too big and precious to move and we would have to live around it. My reply "this dresser will be moved by Friday and if I have to do so myself by taking an axe to it and carrying it downstairs piece by piece then this is how it will happen". Dresser moved professionally next day.

I never attempt to do more than the cursory clean of the house when I move out of somewhere. I have learnt that the agents get picky and demand professional clean anyway. So I demand a professional clean before I move in and am happy to pay for the cost of one to be taken from my deposit when I move out.

Anyway I digress...
We've never had a great experience with any letting agent we've rented off. Last year we were left without heating or hot water for three days in January, at night it got to -3 outside, and nearly the same inside the house! We knew they had been opening our emails, because of mail tracker, and they hadn't responded or answered our calls.

Then I wrote an email threatening to go to the uni, as I knew they couldn't leave us in that cold without heating, and within 3 hours we had 3 handyman, a man from the letting agents, the landlord and a woman from british gas round.

This was all with a different letting agents.

To us it always seemed like we needed to get angry and show them we understood the law to get an answer and be treated fairly, but this time round it seems they don't mind us knowing what they are doing is illegal.

I don't know if we've just had bad luck, or if all students are treated horrendously but its been a bad three years.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I guess there is nothing in your contract to say that you have to pay to 'speak' to them so in my eyes they can't charge you. Are you in the NUS as they may be able to help?

DD has just moved into her first rented flat today she's the other side of the country to me but if there's any problems I'm straight over there to sort them out.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
I guess there is nothing in your contract to say that you have to pay to 'speak' to them so in my eyes they can't charge you. Are you in the NUS as they may be able to help?

DD has just moved into her first rented flat today she's the other side of the country to me but if there's any problems I'm straight over there to sort them out.
I will definitely speak to the uni and see what I can do. Unfortunately just looked at places to rent for as many bedrooms we need, and they are all 'for working professionals only' so we might be stuck.
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
I will definitely speak to the uni and see what I can do. Unfortunately just looked at places to rent for as many bedrooms we need, and they are all 'for working professionals only' so we might be stuck.
Whereabouts are you? Maybe the uni can help too

Sorry I just realised that may sound strange , I'm meaning to give you the names of some good letting agents.

Edited at 04:25 PM.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Whereabouts are you? Maybe the uni can help too
On the phone to them now, seems like they will help
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I would go round there and notify them that you will be involving the police as someone has entered your house without consent and they are party to it by not taking the keys off him in the first instance. Whether he had keys or not is irrelevant. He should not have been trespassing in your property.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I would go round there and notify them that you will be involving the police as someone has entered your house without consent and they are party to it by not taking the keys off him in the first instance. Whether he had keys or not is irrelevant. He should not have been trespassing in your property.
Old 21 Sep 17, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Your students union should have an advice centre which will have housing advice experts. They will be used to dealing with dodgy landlords and agents and they should be able to help.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Just got off the phone with citizen's advice (uni redirected me because of a staff illness) and they think there is nothing I can do about the man in the house. He said it'e been and gone, and now that the locks are fixed it doesn't matter that they were reluctant to change them, or didn't take it seriously.

He did say the charges for calls and letters weren't legal if they charge us for any maintenance, but we can't argue that until we've been charged for it, so it will have to wait.

Feeling a bit defeated, but I understand the letting agents have sorted the problem, with the keys, so I suppose there is nothing that can be done.