Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Sep 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile D i y

We have recently returned from our second Florida trip. Both times we booked via Virgin.

Had no idea there was a West Coast planning section on the DIBB. We are now thinking this is where we would like to go next. Maybe in April.

We are not sure whether to book via a provider or to try DIY. Bit nervous about planning it ourselves. We can be more flexible if we book ourselves, is there a big cost saving?
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
If you book hotels using a site like Booking.com then you can get most hotels with no cancellation fees, and you can make late changes if you need to.
For our up-coming trip we are visiting 5 or 6 locations so have chosen each hotel based on free parking, some have breakfast, some close to town, some further out, all booked on Booking.com
We booked the flights and car-hire through Virgin
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, this is my first visit to California and I did get a few 'package' quotes. Would have probably needed to remortgage to go LOL. I have therefore gone the DIY route. You need to like research and planning though, I love both! It does take a lot of effort but I am really happy with my plan for next year and the prices I am paying. Booked a fly drive through BA yeserday so just a deposit to pay which I put on a credit card just in case of any issues (so extra protection). All my hotels are being booked on cancellable rates, most with no payment up front (although needed to pay 1 night deposit for Yosemite). The hardest bit is deciding where you want to go and for how long! But well worth it (IMO). Happy planning.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

It can be a bit daunting when you book DIY the first time but I find we can get a much better deal booking flights and accommodation ourselves. Even when we go to WDW we booked our flights separate to our disney package as I find it generally saves money.

You can still book your flydrive as a part package and then you are just making hotel reservations and any sightseeing thing you want to prebook.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

Thank you all. I have had a look at Booking.com and that looks really good. Think that diy is going to be the way to go. Exciting - thought I wasn't going to be on the DIBB much anymore when we got back! Looking forward to planning again.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Expedia, and Travel Republic all often have good deals as long as you book rates that you can cancel, which we do all of the time. Apart from being cheaper you can chop and change days if you do diy. Read as many trip reports as you can to get a good idea of what you fancy, and happy planning. We love the west coast.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

Do you think April would be a good time to go? We found this year that August was too hot for us in Florida. I think it is less humid though on the West Coast in August? We are tied to school holidays.
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

We choose to go August as we are tied to school holidays too and we get more dates to play with in August as oppose to the 2 set weeks at Easter.
We started going to back to the West Coast as Florida in August is too humid and stormy for us. It can depend where you want to visit though. August can be too hot for places like Death Valley and Palm Springs but good for San Francisco, San Deigo, Anaheim and other coastal areas. Yosemite is a tricky one as April you can still have snow and some road closures but on a dry year some of the Waterfalls can dry up in August as they rely on snowmelt.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

Hmm, more to think about! Thank you.
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
West Coast has very little humidity.

Don't limit yourself to just Booking.com.. look at all sites like Travel Republic, hotels.com, expedia etc as rates vary between them all.

I'm off next week to North Carolina, I originally booked with Booking.com, found it cheaper direct so cancelled and rebooked and then 2 weeks ago found it cheaper still on Travel Republic so cancelled and booked with them.

DIY is always cheaper for me, VH packages are ridiculous money. But its also far more flexible, we go for 18/19 days and I often chop and change my plans and hotels.. I've even been known to do it whilst over there, I couldn't do that with a package.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List