Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Sep 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 16 - It's a Long Way Home!

Day 16: Friday 15th September 2017

Trip Index here

Our final day. We again managed a lie-in until the alarm went off at 09:00. We had secured an extra hour in the room until 13:00 thanks to being a Hilton Honors member, and with most of the packing completed by 11:00, we took the chance of a final breather, brew and view of the bay from our balcony.

Fast forwarding to 13:00 where we availed ourselves of the express check-out, and the plan being a final hit in the Cheesecake Factory to get one last decent meal before 11 hours of airline food and comfort!

Arriving at the Cheesecake Factory, there were quite a few people waiting for a table, but we were seated in 10 minutes. Choices were pasta for Alex, an omelette for Ho, and the lunchtime sized Meatloaf for myself. Ten minutes later, our server re-appeared with an apology that the Meatloaf was unavailable. A further perusal of the menu lad me to order the Korean Cauliflower and Blue Cheese & Pear Flatbread - another great decision as our server was back again to let me know the Flatbread was unavailable. Feeling somewhat brasses off at this point, I ordered the Quesedilla and asked for the Cauliflower dish to be cancelled. A short time later, my order appeared... together with the Cauliflower dish. Needless to say, this was returned!

So what should have been a relatively relaxed lunch meant that we were now clock watching as we had been made aware that traffic to SFO could be quite heavy, and we were planning on leaving around 14:30. Eventually at 14:50 we got back to the Hilton where we retrieved our baggage from Bell Services, who hailed us a cab. The traffic through the City Center was not unexpectedly heavy, and just as we set off from the traffic signals, the tailgate of the cab flew open and two of our cases landed on the road. Having recovered the cases, our entry onto the freeway was immediately halted by queues of traffic. This continued most of the way to the airport, where we arrived at 15:45.

The upside of this late-ish arrival was that baggage drop was empty, and we were through in a matter of minutes. Security was a breeze thanks to us travelling PE and being priority cleared, so we still had 45 minutes to kill in the terminal before boarding commenced at 16:45. Boarding commenced on time, with PE being full and Upper Class almost full. We pushed off right on our 17:30 departure time, and with little in the way of airport congestion, we were taking off 10 minutes later.

As I hadn't slept too well last night, I decided to try and get as much sleep on the flight as possible to try and combat jet-lag, so the watch was set to 01:30 (UK time) and I made myself comfortable... and woke up around 07:30 having missed dinner and most of the drinks services! I kept dozing until breakfast was served around 75 minutes before arrival, which was actually 30 minutes early. Our early arrival however meant we had to wait 10 mins for the previous flight to vacate the gate, but we were still some 15 minutes early de-planing.

And with a remarkably (for Manchester) quick passage through border controls/immigration, and the baggage team co-operating as well, we were phoning the car parking company within 30 minutes of disembarking the aircraft. They arrived after 10 minutes, and despite congestion around the Trafford Centre area on the M60 (due to rugby at Salford's ground), we were home with the kettle on a few minutes after 13:00.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

How frustrating on the food front!

And on the suitcase flying out of the taxi!

You managed well to get so much sleep on the flight!

So what is next!?

And thanks for sharing!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Thanks for reading Mel. Frustrating at the time about the food, but in hindsight only a minor glitch!

Have to admit, I must be built for cheapness as I also had a great sleep on an economy flight from the Middle East to Paris. Unfortunately, I can't see the two ladies downgrading in the future!

We've already booked a week in Sorrento next May, but nothing sorted for the summer... yet.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Thanks for reading Mel. Frustrating at the time about the food, but in hindsight only a minor glitch!

Have to admit, I must be built for cheapness as I also had a great sleep on an economy flight from the Middle East to Paris. Unfortunately, I can't see the two ladies downgrading in the future!

We've already booked a week in Sorrento next May, but nothing sorted for the summer... yet.
As I get older I find I can sleep better! I managed most of the flight on an overnight Dubai- Frankfurt flight! Though we only ever fly economy!

Italy is so lovely! It is my kids' choice for next summer!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Most annoying at the Cheesecake Factory, otherwise a reasonable travel home day!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Just caught up with the latter part of your report. What a great trip
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Well, I should have been doing some work, but I enjoyed reading your trip report instead.
I will return to this at some point to jot down hints and tips.
Thanks for sharing.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Thanks everyone for reading and hopefully something helpful in there as well.
Old 3 Apr 18, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
a great trip report, fab pics. thanks for sharing x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Thanks for taking the time to read it - glad you enjoyed.