Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Sep 17, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Flying into Miami, help please

Seriously considering this for next August to keep the costs down. How long is the drive, is it pretty straight forward? I'm comfortable driving in the US but it's me and DD12 DS13 so just me driving.
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

The drive from Miami to Orlando takes about 3-4 hours along a very boring, straight road. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to drive the full distance after a long flight but I know other Dibbers have done so. We stayed for a few days in Miami but if you want to head up to Orlando I would suggest driving part of the way there then staying overnight and taking advantage of the early first morning and then drive on up.
On a positive the immigration in Miami was super quick compared with Orlando, we were through in less than 15 minutes!
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Jo2
Having Dinner with Goofy

That all depends on how early you land, we did it 2 years ago and are doing it again next week, the drive isnt too bad, however I would recommend the turnpike if you are on your own as it is more like one of our motorways and has service stations, driving up the 27 is dark for long periods and you have to stop in the small villages for breaks. It should take around 4-4.5 hours. Also a good tip is to get speedy car hire pick up that will save you long queues in there too.
Old 22 Sep 17, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dg141
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Worgie View Post
The drive from Miami to Orlando takes about 3-4 hours along a very boring, straight road. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to drive the full distance after a long flight but I know other Dibbers have done so. We stayed for a few days in Miami but if you want to head up to Orlando I would suggest driving part of the way there then staying overnight and taking advantage of the early first morning and then drive on up.
On a positive the immigration in Miami was super quick compared with Orlando, we were through in less than 15 minutes!
hi we booked after finding great deal and was looking at staying near airport then driving next day to orlando
but i am also thinking of driving part of the way and booking a stay halfway. has anybody got any recommendations for a halfway stop
thanks
dg141 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We flew to Miami this year and doing it again next year. This year we stayed in ft Lauderdale for 3 nights. This time we are staying at the Marriott at the airport with hubbys rewards points and driving up early the next morning using the us27 which is right next to the airport. We did the is27 this year and it was fine. Just under 4 hours, no traffic, really easy drive and enjoyed seeing the rural towns you travel past. Plus it's free, the turnpike adds on around $20 each way.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dg141 View Post
hi we booked after finding great deal and was looking at staying near airport then driving next day to orlando
but i am also thinking of driving part of the way and booking a stay halfway. has anybody got any recommendations for a halfway stop
thanks
Honestly I'd stay at the airport as you are so tired after travel day, wake up nice and refreshed the next day and get on with the drive. That would be my preference after doing it this year.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jo2
Having Dinner with Goofy

The reason i suggested the turnpike was if you were travelling that evening, on your own with the kids. Its a well lit road etc, we have done both and there are pro's and cons to each just depends on time of day as traffic will differ on both however toll road is generally a clearer run and as I say more well lit.
Old 22 Sep 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

We did it last summer and it was good. Think the best way to do it, especially if you get into Miami any time after 5pm, is to stay overnight on the outskirts of Miami and then drive up the next morning as you can make good use of your early waking. Spend your time in Orlando and then maybe come back down to Fort Lauderale or Naples for a few nights beach time before you go home.

The only proviso to add would be to consider the day and time you are flying into Miami. You do not want to be driving very far in Miami around rush hour. We used to live there and avoided it like the plague around rush hour - many of the drivers are crazy...
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

we also found a great deal in to miami this time round and i have also done the drive many times, its not a bad drive using the turnpike about 3-3.30 hours if you don't want to stop, once did it via the i95 but but just took longer and not that much more interesting.

I've never done the drive straight after a flight before so cant recommend either way and this time we are staying in Hollywood fort lauderdale for a couple days before we drive up but driving straight back down and catching flight so will have more of an idea then.

the only thing i would say is for me it would all depend on what time my flight is on the way out as i don't sleep very well on planes especially with a toddler so if it was something like a 6AM flight where i had to be in airport for 3AM with an indirect flight i probably would struggle to walk to baggage let alone drive, but a decent afternoon flight direct with a good nights sleep i would probably give it a go especially if i didn't have any kids in tow

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I am happy to drive up the Turnpike after flying as long as I get there preferably before midnight. There are only 3 service stations between Miami and Orlando.