Notices

View Poll Results: Is it a good idea and would you chose it ?
Yes 150 70.42%
No 48 22.54%
not sure 15 7.04%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 16, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I personally think it would be a nightmare for parents with young children who already struggle to stump up the money for holiday cover.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Why not make the 6 week holiday into a four week holiday and put the extra week onto the May and the other onto the Oct. That way working parents wont have to find more holiday cover than they already do and holiday choices will be tripled by giving two extra times that you can have two weeks.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
TORIMS
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
It doesn't mean that the parents get an extra 2 weeks holiday and we would just end up paying out for another 2 weeks holiday club so I don't see how it would benefit anyone except those that currently take holidays at these times anyway and currently pay the fine.

Jue
x
I agree with you! Giving kids an extra 2 weeks off is a nightmare for fulltime working parents like me and DH. Its hard enough trying to fit in all the school holidays and inset days and days off for polling days now!
All this would mean to me is that I'd have to fork out another few hundred quid for holiday club at another time!
Vicki x

Apr 1998 Rodeway Inn International drive
Oct 2000 Quality Inn Anahiem, Navy lodge Coranado & The Rio Las Vegas
Apr 2005 Formosa Gardens & Toronto
Dec 2007 Newport Bay DLP
Feb 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Aug 2014 2 weeks SSR (1 night HRH)
TORIMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TORIMS
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
Why not make the 6 week holiday into a four week holiday and put the extra week onto the May and the other onto the Oct. That way working parents wont have to find more holiday cover than they already do and holiday choices will be tripled by giving two extra times that you can have two weeks.
Totally agree with this!
Vicki x

Apr 1998 Rodeway Inn International drive
Oct 2000 Quality Inn Anahiem, Navy lodge Coranado & The Rio Las Vegas
Apr 2005 Formosa Gardens & Toronto
Dec 2007 Newport Bay DLP
Feb 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Aug 2014 2 weeks SSR (1 night HRH)
TORIMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bayshore
Imagineer

Bayshore's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I read that article too.

They said they would review after 1 year to see if it suited parents, also mentioned the possibility of having 2 weeks of school based camp for the extra weeks they were closed.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me.
Bayshore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
Because doing that would interfere with the GCSE exams which are most of May and June .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Bayshore View Post
I read that article too.

They said they would review after 1 year to see if it suited parents, also mentioned the possibility of having 2 weeks of school based camp for the extra weeks they were closed.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me.
What about school staff?

For teachers 20 minutes a day eats into meeting time, marking, planning. Many go home a few hours after school finishes as it is. What about winter when it gets darker & unaccompanied children walk home?

Who will run the school camp?...yeah school staff. What about their holidays or childcare?

Adding weeks to early & late existing holidays & shortening the summer holiday will only benefit those people who can afford to go abroad & not the majority of people whose holiday is spent on home turf.
Old 20 May 16, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bayshore
Imagineer

Bayshore's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I'm presuming the staff voted on the new timetable missy E?

Any sports camps run in school near me are run on a voluntary basis by staff (they run themselves as a private enterprise) or local sports clubs. There is no onus on anybody to run a camp during their holidays.
Bayshore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Extra weeks at May and Oct half term would not be good due to busy times at work for me. Childcare would also be more cost too. I think if it was a few extra discretionary days for school to choose on individual basis. Our primary and secondary in catchment tend to match pd days so would be ok sibling wise.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by missy E View Post
What about school staff?

For teachers 20 minutes a day eats into meeting time, marking, planning. Many go home a few hours after school finishes as it is. What about winter when it gets darker & unaccompanied children walk home?

Who will run the school camp?...yeah school staff. What about their holidays or childcare?

Adding weeks to early & late existing holidays & shortening the summer holiday will only benefit those people who can afford to go abroad & not the majority of people whose holiday is spent on home turf.

Yes exactly what I said further back, Obviously on here most people go abroad but that's not true for the vast majority of people in England.

The summer holiday season is short enough without taking 2 weeks away from it.

As for school camps well I can't see that happening here given we have no breakfast/after school clubs never mind a holiday one.
The local nursery does collect kids under 7 from the school but that's it.
A couple of teachers do clubs like gardening & art a few times a week till 4pm but I cant see many teachers being willing to run a school camp.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread