Notices

Old 28 Dec 16, 02:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 6 Intrepid and Top of the Rock

I had a good night's sleep - as did everyone! All that walking makes you tired.

This is the view out of our window The builders start at about 8am which doesn't is bad I think though it is the most complained about part of the hotel.

We had the usual breakfast - waffles and bagels!

We managed to leave at about 9.15am and headed out via subway to Times Square - the nearest station to our destination.

First stop was the Cake Boss bakery. Not much of a queue. Despite it not being that long since breakfast both kids managed a cupcake.

F (who is s big fan of the Cake Boss) thought they were ok but her frosting is better!

O hoovered his down - as 15 year old boys do!

Next stop was the Intrepid - an aircraft carrier that had been decommissioned in 1974 and can now be found on the Hudson River.

As with most of these attractions there was an airport type security screening.

Once on board, we headed straight into the ship.

We first of all watched the film about the ship. We felt that this could have been a lot more detailed - it seemed to focus more on justifying the USA's military actions than actually telling us about the ship and living on it.

The ship is very impressive - we enjoyed exploring all the corridors off the main areas that housed the backbone of an operational ship. It was amazing how little room they had to work in and the complexity of all the systems.

On the top deck there were lots of examples of the different military planes used by the US Air Force over the years. For plane geeks this was fascinating.

There was also an option to visit one of the Space Shuttles but as we had been to KSC last year we decided to skip this.

There is also a BA concorde but as we see one every day we didn't bother! The kids also remembered going on one at the Aircraft Museum in Seattle. It did look tiny compared to the ship!

It was now lunch time. I had done my usual research and had come up with West Gotham Market - what a find.

J had a veggie burrito with guacamole. He said it was delicious.

The kids both had veggie burgers in steamed buns (and fries! ). Again - a big thumbs up.

I had a spicy shrimp taco. It was lovely.

Everything was freshly cooked in the various stalls. Total cost (including 2 fountain drinks and 2 ice creams) was about $70. Totally worth it.

We then had a fair trek to the Top of the Rock where we had timed tickets for 3.35pm.

As everyone was tired and we were early we got ourselves a Starbucks and spent a good 45 minutes resting our weary limbs.

Getting up to the top was a quicker experience than the ESB - I guess having timed tickets means they know how many people there will be!

The time had been picked so as to see the sunset. In reality, it could have been 20 minutes later.

As the sun was starting to go down.

It had been warm today - 15C so although we needed our coats it wasn't bitterly cold.

As the sun got lower!

And lower!

And the Central Park side - which isn't as spectacular and, of course, the sun was setting on the other side!

We headed back - thankfully we missed the queues going down! We got the photos as my dad had asked for a family photo and we weren't going a good job of getting one!

J picked up a soup as he was still full after his lunch. The rest of us shared a large cheese pizza that we had delivered. It was surprising nice - just a shame they forgot the garlic knots!

I think it will be an early night as everyone us tired!

Todays numbers:
20,417 steps (about 15.5 km)
Subway rides: 2

Edited at 03:24 AM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 28 Dec 16 2:19 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi Another great day.

I have been following your trippies each day remembering my trips to NY. I was there late November - early December this year.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip!
Twinklestar1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
lfcnut
Very Serious Dibber

We are enjoying reading your reports and getting ideas for our 1st trip in September

New York 2017 Dubai 2018 Cancun 2019
lfcnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day
Brilliant views from the Top of the Rock

Joan
Old 28 Dec 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Fantastic views at the end of another great day.
Old 28 Dec 16, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twinklestar1 View Post
Hi Another great day.

I have been following your trippies each day remembering my trips to NY. I was there late November - early December this year.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip!
Thank you

Originally Posted by lfcnut View Post
We are enjoying reading your reports and getting ideas for our 1st trip in September
I hope it is of some use! It is certainly a bustling city!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day
Brilliant views from the Top of the Rock

Joan
I love the views from TOTR! We were so lucky it was sunny! Best weather there has been so far!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Fantastic views at the end of another great day.
Thanks Jackie

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Lovely sunset photos from TOTR.

We've never visited the Intrepid, but it sounds really interesting. Might have to add it onto the list to visit next time.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 16, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Gosh what beautiful clear skies again! Love the look of all your food today, will have to remember that market and have a look for it. The steamed buns look incredible.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 17, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Top of the rock views amazing, we never made it up there, we did empire state instead, (we only had three days)
That pizza looks good, I remember eating at Johns pizzeria, just off times square, and the pizza arrived and was as big as the table!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List