Notices

Old 29 Dec 17, 04:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 6 San Diego - Pacific Beach

Well O fell asleep at 7.30pm and the rest of us were out for the count by 8.30pm - what lightweights! Needless to say, we were all awake by 6am!

J went to get us cappuccinos and we made breakfast in the apartment. Raisin toast, muffins and yoghurt were the order of the day!

The apartment is about 5 blocks up from the beach in Pacific Beach - quite a quirky and busy area if the city. Hip some may say It probably wouldn't suit some as there is quite a bit of homelessness and it is a little run down but we like what we have seen. We have managed the day without the car which J needed after doing a lot of driving since we got here!

After breakfast we headed out on a walk. There were plenty of people around - lots of surfers and runners. There is a boardwalk which runs down to Belmont which we took.

The pier here actually houses a motel - how cool is that!

It took us about 45 minutes to get down to Belmont! We had a loo stop and got water before heading back.

On the way back we went on the path on the harbour side - it was a lot calmer though lots of people on bikes.

Once we got back to Pacific beach we went into Urban Outfitters but nothing was bought!

We left the kids in the apartment and walked to Trader Joes to get some supplies in for dinner! On the way back we came across a sports shop that also did second hand stuff. We managed to find two boogie boards - and they will even buy them off us at the end of the week!

We had spotted a cafe on the way back from the walk and decided to go there for lunch. F and I had felafel and salad wraps - delicious!

J had a tuba bowl - also declared delicious.

O had a flatbread. Everything was prepared to order and was a reasonable $32.

F had this for dessert - rolled ice cream!

We ate desserts in the sun - it so feels like it should be August!

After lunch we got our things together and hit the beach!

The three fish donned their wetsuits and had a fun few hours messing around in the waves. I read my new kindle!

It really was a lovely afternoon.

At about 4pm we headed back for showers and rest!

Though I realised the planned dinner was like lunch do nipped out to the local health food supermarket and got some oven chips. We had these with some veggie sausages and yoghurt to follow.

A quick visit was made to the local CVS as I have yet another headache and the paracetamol wasn't shifting it. We got some of the american painkillers but as of now I am still suffering.

I don't think it will be long until bed! Bit of a vicious circle but at least we get the most out of the daylight

Edited at 05:10 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 29 Dec 17 4:06 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a brilliant December day! The beach looks amazing, although as you might remember I would be like you, on the sand with my kindle, definitely not in the water! Lunch looks tasty. When we were at Newport Beach we loved going for our shopping at Pavillions - I suppose a bit like Waitrose - definitely more posh than our usual trips to Walmart.

Hope your headache gets better.
Old 29 Dec 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great day the weather looks lovely

Joan
Old 30 Dec 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Another lovely day The food looked good. Never seen rolled ice cream before! Hope you managed to shift your headache.
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
What a brilliant December day! The beach looks amazing, although as you might remember I would be like you, on the sand with my kindle, definitely not in the water! Lunch looks tasty. When we were at Newport Beach we loved going for our shopping at Pavillions - I suppose a bit like Waitrose - definitely more posh than our usual trips to Walmart.

Hope your headache gets better.
Got rid of the headache eventually! The beach is great! Kids are particularly loving it - so happy we bought the wetsuits with us as the ocean is only about 16C!

Sprouts is great!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great day the weather looks lovely

Joan
Weather is amazing - couldn't ask for more!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Another lovely day The food looked good. Never seen rolled ice cream before! Hope you managed to shift your headache.
Rolled ice cream was a new one for me but F knew all about it - from youtube of course!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

That's a fab day of surf and sun. Shame about your headache though , hope that gets sorted. Food looked lovely ... Rolled ice cream ? That's definitely a new one ! No wonder you are all shattered with the sun and water .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My friend stayed last summer and said there were quite a lot of homeless near her Airbnb. Beach looks great, so does the food. I've had spaghetti style ice cream but not rolled! Hope your feeling better.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely beach pics! Sorry to hear there were a few homeless people near your rental, but glad it didn't keep you from enjoying the location you were staying at. Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach are definitely the most lively beach areas in town lol.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
That's a fab day of surf and sun. Shame about your headache though , hope that gets sorted. Food looked lovely ... Rolled ice cream ? That's definitely a new one ! No wonder you are all shattered with the sun and water .
I had a run of bad luck with the headaches! All sorted in the end

F loved the ice cream!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
My friend stayed last summer and said there were quite a lot of homeless near her Airbnb. Beach looks great, so does the food. I've had spaghetti style ice cream but not rolled! Hope your feeling better.
There were quite a lot of homeless but they seemed to keep themselves to themselves.

I love Italian spagetti ice cream!

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Lovely beach pics! Sorry to hear there were a few homeless people near your rental, but glad it didn't keep you from enjoying the location you were staying at. Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach are definitely the most lively beach areas in town lol.
We loved the vibe of Pacific Beach! And having three fish in the family it was ideal for the beach!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg