Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Aug 18, 02:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 19 - Boston and Harvard-MIT

Now first of all I have a confession to make. I don't actually like Boston. I went there for a week in 2009 when J was on a course there. I don't know why but it was just a city that I didn't click with. That is the main reason why we didn't base ourselves in Boston for the last few says of the trip. Only O really had a desire to go to see Harvard and MIT. So that is why we went today!

So as usual, we were awake early. We all had our usual breakfasts and were out of the door at 7.45am.

Our airbnb host had suggested we drove to Quincy Adams station where there was a big carpark and catch the MBTA train in. Everything we wanted to do was on the red line as was Quincy Adams.

The journey to the station took about 45 minutes. The carpark was signposted off the motorway and we parked on the 7th floor. Parking was $7 for the day.

The train ride in took about 30 minutes - and cost us $2.75 each which I thought was very reasonable.

After buying a map with info on from the tourist office (it cost $3) we set off on the Freedom Trail - I thought this would be a good way for us to see the sights. The trail is easy to follow as there is a red brick trail on the ground.

We walked through the common. This is the oldest public park in America.

This led us to Massachusetts State House. The dome is coveted in gold leaf! Thus building is still used, having been built in 1798 to run the state.

We went inside Park Street Church. Inside it was very modest.

Next stop was King's Chapel Burying Ground. This was Boston's first burying ground. The headstones seem to figure skeletons and skulls. Very strange but interesting to look at.

We walked over this mosaic. This marked the original Latin School - the oldest public school in America. The school is now located near Fenway.

Next up was the Old State House which has stood as an emblem of liberty for over 300 years. It was at the centre of events that sparked the American Revolution.

The next stop was Faneuil Hall. We walked through here to Quincy Market.

This was still quite quiet.

We decided we needed a break. Breakfast was a long time ago!

There were lots of options.

J went to get the adults coffee.

O got a pineapple and banana smoothie.

F got a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery.

After the break the kids wanted to go into Polo Assn. O got a t-shirt and F got two polo tops and a pair of jeans.

We walked through the Italian part of town.

And arrived st our final destination- Paul Revere House. Built on 1680, it is the oldest remaining building in Boston. We decided not to go in. It was getting hot.

We chose not to finish the trail as we wanted to do a tour at Harvard.

We went back to Quincy Market to eat.

O had fish and chips. J and F had falafels wraps, and I had a fried spinach rice ball. It was all ok - nothing special but filled a hole b

We then got the train to Harvard in Cambridge.

We booked to ho on the 1.30pm tour. This cost $36 - F wad free. Our tour guide was a student, Leila. She was very good - informative but not waffly!

We went round the Yard. All freshers are housed here in their first year.

This is John Harvard. Or rather what they think he might have looked like. He donated funds which transformed the then New College into Harvard. All pictures of him were destroyed in a fire.

The library was funded by a grieving mother whose husband and son were lost on the Titanic.

Interestingly, one of the conditions of her donation was that the outside of the building could not be changed. So when it was expanded, it was expanded downwards. So all you dan see if the tip of the iceberg ...

We finished up at the shop where both kids got t-shirts. O really enjoyed the tour. As did J and I.

F tolerated it for her brother!

We caught the train down to MIT - where O would love to study. No tours available - we found that they only do one or two a day as not do much interest!

We spent a good hour in the MIT Coop - O found a book on computer science. F found the wifi so was happy.

Wd left J and F here while we walked to the museum.

This building is part of MIT - not sure if it is really truly hideous or genius!

The museum was mot about MIT but more exhibits from past alumni. We went round it but were not that impressed.

We hotfooted it back to the others and did the morning's journey in reverse! We walked about 14km so were glad to get seats on the train.

At home I made pasta. We are all too shattered to go out again!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List