Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 28 Jan 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

We are on a Fjords cruise in August. What if the railway breaks down? How easy is it to get back to the Port? Only thinking that at least if you book on board that the ship will wait for you.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
It’s extremely likely that there will be passengers on an organised excursion on the same train, but it would be possible to walk back - there are cycle paths running alongside the railway.
If you book an early train this gives you plenty of time to get back.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We did this when we were on the Britannia and decided we would try and book ourselves rather than via the cruise ship. As mentioned it was considerably cheaper to walk to the station and purchase our tickets. We did disembark fairly promptly after docking so we were able to get a choice of time for the train. Also as mentioned the only difference with paying over the odds via the ship is you are walked to the train en mass and directed into one or two carriages. This is one trip we would thoroughly recommend as the ride and the views are stunning.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
We're visiting Flam on our Norwegian Cruise at the end of May, on checking the railway website there is only 1 train with availability on the day we are in the port and that train is really early in the morning, all the others are showing as fully booked... so that combined with us being cruise newbies we decided to book the excursion as we would be gutted if we missed out on it.

I did wonder if the 'fully booked' trains were being held for cruise companies until closer to the time but I'm such a control enthusiast (not freak ) that we didn't want to risk it

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Just looking at this myself, are all the docks near the train station or could we end up miles away?

Also, the website is suggesting a return train 15 minutes later than arrival, is 15 minutes at the top about right?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Just looking at this myself, are all the docks near the train station or could we end up miles away?

Also, the website is suggesting a return train 15 minutes later than arrival, is 15 minutes at the top about right?
There is only 1 dock so you won’t be miles away 😊
We usually stay on the same train for the return journey - just switch to sit on the opposite side to get the different views

Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
This pic should show how close the ship is to the train - the ticket office sits between the 2

Old 31 Mar 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think it depends what time if year you go... we went early Sept... Kids back at school.

Wandered over - literally less than 3 mins after getting off the ship... booked a tour - any tour - and off we went. Every tour had seats available.

We hadn't planned on going so did no research... otherwise we'd have got the train up and walked or cycled down.

It's not cheap but had a great time.

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

What do you mean by a tour? I was just planning on getting train tickets. I can see I can buy them online for 50 Eur vs 80Eur through P&O
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
What do you mean by a tour? I was just planning on getting train tickets. I can see I can buy them online for 50 Eur vs 80Eur through P&O
Sorry - meant tour/trip up the mountain on the train. We just bought tickets and got on - there were plenty of trains departures to pick from but it was early Sept so not as bust as summer months.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List