Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Feb 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
HobosMum
Very Serious Dibber

We did three weeks as well, but started in Toronto before flying onto Calgary. We then picked up a hire car and spent 8 days in the Rockies then flew to Vancouver. I can't add anything to what everyone else has said. There is so much to see, we did a wildlife tour whilst in Banff, pick up was from the Fairmont Hotel and we spent a couple of hours being driven round looking for local wildlife, didn't see any bears but the guide was very knowledgeable.

You'll have a fab time, we're planning a return visit as once is just not enough.

Happiness is being with my horse
HobosMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Boat trip on Maligne Lake was wonderful- would recommend
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for all the advice and hints - the more I look into things to do the more I realise a repeat trip might have to be on the cards.

So far we have pre-booked -

Calgary Stampede
Horse riding in Banff
Banff Gondola
Columbia Icefield - decided to do this on the drive to Jasper
White water rafting in Whistler
Sunset whale watching from Victoria
Butchart Gardens.

Just waiting to book the following -
Peak to peak gondola
Sea to sky Gondola
Royal BC Museum
and still looking at Vancouver things to do at the minute as well as having a look at the Maligne Lake cruise to Spirit Island.

Planned lots of stop offs for hikes/waterfalls etc... and will be looking to hire some bikes, canoes, do some frisbee golf and hot springs along the way too. I’m sure a few other bits will get booked in too.

We’ve done the Toronto side but this is our first trip to the west and really looking forward to it. To be honest we loved Canada when we went before and I’m sure this time will be no different - roll on July!

Edited at 07:17 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds great what you have booked so far .We did Miette hot springs whilst in Jasper. We saw loads of wildlife on drive there and our first bear!

Recommend hiring a bike in Vancouver and going around Stanley park. We also spent a day at Capilano suspension bridge and grouse mountain. we used public transport and it was a great day out.

Have a wonderful holiday!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of time in Banff and jasper, but I'll tell you what we liked when we did our road trip in 2016.

Banff -
gondola (do the walk at the top)
Johnston canyon
Paddleboarding on Johnson lake (need to pre book this)
Via Ferratta climbing at mount Norquay

Lake Louise-
Lake Louise hike to tea house
Moraine lake (climb the rock pile)
Lake Louise gondola

Emerald Lake (hire a canoe on here - half the cost of lake Louise)
Takkakkaw falls (near emerald lake). Hike to the water.

Ice fields parkway - took us 7 hours to get to jasper. Not because of the traffic, but because of the stops. Check them out on the parkway website. We stopped at Bow lake?, Peyto lake (5-10 minute walk to viewpoint), sunwapta, Athabasca falls. On the drive back to Banff (after our jasper stay) we did a guided ice walk on the glacier. Do not walk on the glacier without a guide - there are crevasses and deep canyons that you can't necessarily see.

Jasper I'd recommend a wildlife tour with Joe Urie. Check out trip advisor. It was great value, and we saw loads of wildlife including bears.
Also, miette hot springs, the tramway (hike at the top), and maligne lake.

We liked Earls for food in Banff and Jasper, and there is a great pizza place in Canmore called Red Rock pizza. It's tiny, but great.

If you have a spare few hours in Calgary, try out the luge at the Olympic park, and go shopping at Crossiron Mills mall (nearish the airport).

We did all the above in two weeks, plus fitted in rafting, and a visit to radium hot springs/mini golf.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Just catching up with this and will take some notes from your plans, plus the advice you’ve received from others.

We’ve got 3 nights in Jasper and 5 in Banff, and also weren’t sure whether to do the ice fields on the travel day between the two or as a separate trip. I think I’ll be waiting until I’ve done a bit more planning, and see where I’ll have a spare few hours.

Edited at 12:28 PM.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of time in Banff and jasper, but I'll tell you what we liked when we did our road trip in 2016.

Banff -
gondola (do the walk at the top)
Johnston canyon
Paddleboarding on Johnson lake (need to pre book this)
Via Ferratta climbing at mount Norquay

Lake Louise-
Lake Louise hike to tea house
Moraine lake (climb the rock pile)
Lake Louise gondola

Emerald Lake (hire a canoe on here - half the cost of lake Louise)
Takkakkaw falls (near emerald lake). Hike to the water.

Ice fields parkway - took us 7 hours to get to jasper. Not because of the traffic, but because of the stops. Check them out on the parkway website. We stopped at Bow lake?, Peyto lake (5-10 minute walk to viewpoint), sunwapta, Athabasca falls. On the drive back to Banff (after our jasper stay) we did a guided ice walk on the glacier. Do not walk on the glacier without a guide - there are crevasses and deep canyons that you can't necessarily see.

Jasper I'd recommend a wildlife tour with Joe Urie. Check out trip advisor. It was great value, and we saw loads of wildlife including bears.
Also, miette hot springs, the tramway (hike at the top), and maligne lake.

We liked Earls for food in Banff and Jasper, and there is a great pizza place in Canmore called Red Rock pizza. It's tiny, but great.

If you have a spare few hours in Calgary, try out the luge at the Olympic park, and go shopping at Crossiron Mills mall (nearish the airport).

We did all the above in two weeks, plus fitted in rafting, and a visit to radium hot springs/mini golf.
Thanks for all this information - between Banff and Jasper we’ve got nearly a week and have planned a few of your tips in.

Booked the Gondola in Banff and also we will do Johnston Canyon, Lake Louise (plus hike) Moraine Lake and horse riding that side. In Jasper I’m going to book Maligne Lake cruise and we’ve got the Icefields sorted. Hopefully hot springs, canoes, waterfalls and some other outdoor activities will get done too.

Just waiting on the tickets for the luge in Calgary. We did debate the bobsleigh but the cost on the travel insurance was very expensive so we are going to do the zip lining instead.

Pizza place sounds great - we’ll definetley make a stop here too.

Thanks again for all the info, really appreciate it all.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Just catching up with this and will take some notes from your plans, plus the advice you’ve received from others.

We’ve got 3 nights in Jasper and 5 in Banff, and also weren’t sure whether to do the ice fields on the travel day between the two or as a separate trip. I think I’ll be waiting until I’ve done a bit more planning, and see where I’ll have a spare few hours.
There is loads to do - just a struggle trying to fit it all in as it all looks amazing. Happy Planning and enjoy your trip.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Old 11 Mar 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HobosMum
Very Serious Dibber

Have a look at whale watching trips for Vancouver, it was definitely one the highlights of our trip and we felt so priviledged to be so close to them.

Happiness is being with my horse
HobosMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Banff restaurants.. having just got back..

Toulooloos for breakfast... people were happy to queue outside even at -15! Or Melissa's- just as good but toulooloos just win as they did a big pot of tea rather than just a cup!

Dinner - Park distillery... outstanding but you'll have to book, Elk and Oarsman great specials and Banff Avenue Brewing co.

I've done trip advisor reviews on the above plus Earls (downstairs) and St James Gate Irish pub.

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List