Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Feb 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Brummie Parents - Help?

Hello all!

Can any of you lovely Brummie mothers and fathers out there give me some advice?

I am travelling up to Birmingham with my 11 year old son next month. We are staying near the SeaLife Centre - and would be most grateful for:

1. Recommendations for good, nearby (but not TOO expensive) non-chain restaurants

2. Advice on what an 11 year old boy might like to do in the centre of Birmingham (we will not have a car)

MANY thanks for any tips!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

I'm not from Birmingham but we visit fairly often... mainly for girly shopping in the Bullring though, so I'm guessing that is not what you're after!

Bardolino in The Cube is a Marco Pierre White restaurant but does good pizza if he likes that kind of thing. There are tons of other eating places in that area too but most of them are the usual chains I'm afraid.

As for things to do - what about Cadbury World (yum!) or the Geology Museum? I've never been to the museum so can't personally recommend it but it's at the University. I have however been to Thinktank, which is is a science museum and is really good.

I hope you have a lovely trip

Edited as I've just read you won't have a car - public transport is good. Cadbury World isn't right in the centre but you could easily get there by bus.

Edited at 11:16 PM.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

I agree, the Think Tank, The Museum and Art Gallery... there are a couple of indoor climbing centres in the city centre too. None chain restaurants much trickier... but a few recommendations:
digbethdiningclub/
originalpattymen/
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

My DDs really enjoyed the Thinktank as well.
Old 14 Feb 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

If you're going to Cadbury World, take the train. The station ("Bourneville") has Cadbury branding and it's quite cool (in a low key and dorky way!). I always find the story quite interesting from a social history perspective. Plus, I used to live downstream of the factory - we used to love stepping out of our flat into a wonderful chocolate smell!

You could consider getting off the train in Selly Oak for food in the student area there (my old favourite, the Selly Sausage, is still operational I think - loved by B'ham Uni students). Plus Selly has an abundance of curry houses, Birmingham being the Balti capital of the UK at one time.

My kids liked ThinkTank when they were Poot's age, or perhaps a bit younger. It's nice and interactive (though he may not learn new things).

We also very much enjoyed the museum in the Jewellery Quarter - slightly bizarre but an insight into a family run business that never modernised itself (it's "frozen in time" - sounds odd but we found it strangely appealing for an hour!) We quite enjoy strolling around the Jewellery Quarter, too. 10/15 minute walk from town, or you can catch the tram.

I'm not a Brummie Mummy either but lived there for years and still visit from time to time
Old 14 Feb 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I forgot about the Jewellery Quarter Museum. My girls weren't really that interested (despite DH being a jeweller who trained in the Quarter). However Poot sounds like a far more inquisitive child and I am sure you would both enjoy it.
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Lots of great independent places to eat in Birmingham in what is a growing foody scene.

Visiting the independent birmingham website will give you a full list.

Some of my favourites that are child friendly:

In city centre:

Bodega (mexican)

Indian streetary

Original patty men ( Burgers)

The meat shack (Burgers)

Digebeth Dining Club ( lots of street food)

Buffalo and Rye (american bbq style)

Cherry Reds

Urban coffee (Great breakfast).

Plus far too many chinese and Indians to mention.

Jewellery quarter:

Rose Villa tavern

The church Inn

The red Lion ( Great sunday dinners)

The Lord clifden.

The list goes on.
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you all SO MUCH.

I must confess that getting the train out to Bourneville sounds most appealing to me (oink!) - but then I read "geology museum" - and I think I know what Poot (DS) will pick. But I have been wrong before - I'll show him the thread tomorrow and see what takes his fancy. The Jewellery Quarter Museum may be a bridge too far, even for Poot - but he loves the "Vault" at the NHM in London...so maybe. Going to have to Google the "Think Tank"...but it sounds science-y...which is right up his street!

Am greatly looking forward to researching some of those restaurants - it feels like we "should" get a Balti when in Birmingham...but (shh...)...I don't really like Balti(s). Just not sure how I'd tell my (English) husband that we went to Birmingham...and ate at a Mexican restaurant!