Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 4 Jun 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

You've got a friend in Me(d) - Day 6 - Day at Sea and a magical moment

Day 6 – Day at Sea and a magical moment

I woke this morning around 8.30am will Ollie coming into the room with a hot chocolate for me. A pretty good wake up.

He had attempted to go to the group cycling this morning, but apparently the class was full. ‘Apparently’ he had bumped into cruise director Leslie and had a chat about a photo opportunity this evening we could go to. I was a little suspicious, but I went along with it.

I got ready and we went for a nice leisurely table service breakfast at Lumiere’s. We knew we wouldn’t have too many opportunities for a sit down breakfast with lots of early starts coming up in the next few days.

I had a chocolate milk and Ollie decided to join me.

They came around with a selection of pastries. I had a chocolate twist and a chocolate muffin. There’s definitely a theme here…

Ollie started off with a Mango Mountain Hike - fresh blend of Mangoes, Honey, Granola and Low-fat Yogurt, while I happily tucked into the pastries.

I then went for French Toast and Pineapple Stack - Layers of French Toast and Grilled Pineapple, topped with Strawberry Coulis, Maple Glaze and Fruit salad.

There are at least two different types of fruit on my plate, so totally healthy right? This was really tasty and incredibly sweet.

Ollie went for the Traditional Eggs Benedict - Toasted English Muffin with Grilled Canadian Bacon served with Poached Egg topped with Hollandaise Sauce, grilled Roma Tomatoes and link Sausages

I tried to convince Ollie that this would make a nice feature wall in the lounge.

After breakfast, we went to check out the animation classes in the promenade lounge. The Mickey class was already underway, so we watched the end of that class.

Next up was Goofy.

I’m not particularly artistic, but I think mine came out respectably. Maybe it’s more Pluto than Goofy.

Here’s what it was meant to look like.

I think it would be nice if they had special paper with a Disney logo on the side, a bit like at the animation classes at Hollywood Studios.
We headed to the shops next for a look and goofed around trying on some silly hats.

We decided to buy a few things we had spotted, particularly some of the Med specific merchandise.

We bought a Med cruise photo album.

A med magnet for the fridge.

A Christmas decoration for us.

A Christmas decoration for my parents.

The cutest romper for our nephew.

I spotted a few other potentials, including a nice bag for my mum for Christmas, but decided to think about it.

We stopped for some drinks on deck before heading to Movie Quotes trivia in O’Gills.

Wow this was difficult. We scored an appalling 10 out of 25.

I really enjoyed the trivia sessions during the cruise though despite our appalling scores. They were giving out rice krispie treats which was a nice surprise.

Our next stop was lunch. Although we’d originally planned a sit down lunch, after a later breakfast we decided on cabanas instead. We still needed something decent as we had mixology coming up! There was plenty of choice – lots of different curries today. It was all really tasty.

Nice view for lunch

Dessert was rocky road ice cream and cookies. I broke the cookie up into pieces to make a sundae type creation.

We headed down to Keys for mixology next.

Andy was running the class and he was great, really informative and funny.

We sat opposite a brit couple and had a chat about their previous cruises before getting started.

There was a group in the class from Brazil who were a bit loud but good fun.

We made 5 different drinks, all using different mixing methods. (There were a couple of drinking games as well)

Our table was set up before we arrived. Apparently on the Dream and the Fantasy the class is a bit more interactive, but we still enjoyed this.

Here most items were bought around to you and alcohol poured, and we mixed or added soft drinks.

On the left is a Dr. Pepper cocktail and the right is a double crown.

Next up was a mojito to be muddled.

This was a ratatouille. This was the nicest I thought. It contains St Germaine Elderflower liquor, which Ollie really liked so I got him some for Christmas.

Last up was B52, a layered shot. I’m not a fan of coffee flavoured things, but did my duty and downed this one anyway!

Some of the alcohol involved…

Overall the class was really fun and we plan on doing one again next cruise. I thought for $20 it was good value. The class was supposed to be an hour, but lasted closer to an hour and 20 minutes. We got all the recipes on a sheet to take away.

After the class we had a quick dash to our frozen meet and greet just after 3.15pm in Animator’s Palate. We were the penultimate family in the queue and it didn’t matter that we were a few minutes late. The wait was maybe 15 minutes or so. I think we were the only all adult party there!

Anna, Elsa and Olaf were meeting together. I only booked the meet to have my picture with Olaf!

Meeting face characters can always be a bit awkward. Maybe this was a bit less awkward than normal due to the 5 drinks we just had! I got a big hug from Olaf

Edited at 06:48 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

We headed back to stateroom after this for a shower and to get presentable for formal night.

While getting ready we opened a bottle of cava and had some choccies.

We headed down to the atrium for the Captain’s reception. There were photo opportunities with the captain (although with a very long line) and other photo opportunities with nice back drops.

There were some free drinks available, including wine and some cocktails. I went up to get two glasses of white wine, and the person serving asked me if I was over 18. Rather than trying to prove it, I said ‘Actually, I’m 25, but thank you’, picked up the wine and just walked off! I rarely get Ided now, so I do appreciate it!

We headed into the show around 6.15pm. Tonight’s show was Twice Charmed, an original twist on the Cinderella story.

I enjoyed this, a bit pantomime-y in places but really good fun. The evil fairy godfather character was particularly good.

The show finished around 7.30pm and Ollie took me up to this ‘special photography’ session he had mentioned earlier.

We went up toward deck 7 forward, as far as we could go. A crew member, Emanuella, met us as the entrance to a ‘crew only’ door. We walked through a clearly back stage area out towards deck 7 forward.
It was a lovely location with a view of the ocean as far as you can see, just as the sun was starting to go down.

A cast member was having their photo taken, then it was our turn.
I handed over my key to the world card and we smiled for some snaps, as the photographer was directing us further away from each other.

Ollie then got down on one knee, produced a beautiful ring from his pocket and asked me to marry him.

I of course said yes and gave him a big hug and kiss. I couldn’t stop smiling!

My new super sparkly ring was a perfect fit, which is very impressive considering I never wear rings. (He went all ‘engineer’ and did some calculations to work out the size – and was spot on!)

He later said he wasn’t sure if there was a correct knee, so copied Prince Charming from the show earlier.

We then looked up and saw the team on the bridge waving and giving us a thumbs up!

Ollie had done such an amazing job. The planning started before we were on the ship and he managed to find a few moments once we were on board to sneak away and check that everything would go as planned.

He really had planned the perfect moment. He knew that I’d never want a big public proposal. This felt like it was just us (and a few Disney cast members of course!). Arranging the photographer was such a lovely touch. I liked that he proposed early on in the cruise, so we could enjoy the rest of the week as a newly engaged couple.

We thanked Emanuella and Maya (the photographer) profusely and made our way over to Palo.

We checked in for our reservation, but asked if we could have a few moments. We wanted a few minutes outside just with each other, after everything that had happened.

Ollie seemed a bit more relaxed than me, but he’d had several months to get used to the idea – it was all new to me!

We were just chatting on the deck by Palo, and when we turned around we saw that Maya had been snapping away. She had found us by chance and said she couldn’t resist getting some more shots. The sun was setting now and we got some great shots on the back of the ship. She was a real sweetie. She also gave me back my key to the world card that I had forgotten to take back earlier.

Eventually we headed back inside to Palo. I was quizzing Ollie with questions throughout the meal – I had so many things I wanted to know, including how he had planned everything. The relaxing meal was more like an interrogation session

:We met our server Sylvester from India. We still talk about him now. He was very over the top in his compliments and was gushing. He kept telling us we looked ‘like a picture’. Every time I said ‘thank you’, he responded ‘no, thank you’. Cutie.

We started with bread basket and ordered two glasses of prosecco. I was clearly a bit distracted and forgot to take photos at the start of the meal.

Sylvester made us up a plate of antipasti with meets, cheese and vegetables (but no olives, yuck).

Instead of appetisers, we asked to have portion of the pasta each. We went for

Caramelle di vitello- Pasta stuffed with Milk braised Veal, Pancetta and Porcini Mushrooms
and
Butternut Agnolotti - with Sage-brown Butter topped with Amaretti and Buffalo Mozzarella

I remember the second one being quite sweet.

We had half each and then swapped. I preferred the caramelle. So did Ollie, but Sylvester presumed Ollie preferred the Agnolotti and I didn’t have the heart to correct him.

For mains, Ollie had the Roasted Rosemary-rubbed Rack of Lamb - with Roasted Carrots, Caponata, Olive Oil Potatoes, Rosemary Jus on the side

I had the Grilled Prime Beef Tenderloin - with Pancetta Potato, Sautéed Spinach, Barone Chianti Wine Sauce

I remembered to take photos here. (Clearly the novelty of the engagement had worn off!)

My steak was cooked perfectly medium rare. We found the steak in the main restaurants to be a bit hit or miss in terms of how well cooked they were.

We got bought this cute plate before dessert.

I never know with these if you’re meant to attempt to eat the chocolate message or not? I tried anyway!

Maya, our photographer from earlier, was coming round the restaurant taking photos of couples. She stopped and spent extra time with us and took some snaps.

For dessert, how could it be anything other than the chocolate soufflé? Thing of beauty.

They were also serving an amaretto soufflé, and Sylvester bought us one to share. 3 soufflés between us

:

I continued to quiz Ollie throughout the meal. We also decided that 2018 would be a good time to get married. (Now officially booked for August 2018)

I did say to Ollie that he’s now ensured that we have to eat at Palo during every cruise as it’s now special to us.

We popped back to the room, and had quite the towel animal display. Ollie had left the bag of petals in the room with a note for our stateroom host and a tip.

We filled up our glasses with some cava and took these down to Fathoms to watch Match Your Mate. (Reading it back, it sounds like we drank a fair bit today – it was quite spaced out with lots of food and water honestly!)

Ollie had been trying to persuade me to take part in Match Your Mate before the trip, but I chickened out from volunteering! We sat safely towards the back.

Taking part were two honeymooning couples and longer married couple. Jo, the clubhost was hilarious. The older couple won. The husband didn’t seem too keen to be taking part, but did very well.

After the show ended we headed to Guest Services to pick up our badge. The guy behind the desk said ‘I think I know what you’re after’ and got out a happy birthday button and I lost a tooth button. I’m not sure if he was joking?

Anyway, we asked for our ‘happily ever after’ badges. Like the parks, it’s a shame they’ve stopped doing separate
anniversary/engagement/just married buttons.

It was time to head up to bed, after a long and amazing day.

(And yes, a cruise will be featuring in the honeymoon)

Day 7 – Salerno/Pompeii

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Congratulations, what a lovely memory to have. Did you have a feeling it was going to happen, or was it a complete surprise? X
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 17, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you I was very suspicious as we entered the 'crew only' area, but apart from that it was a lovely surprise. I suppose after more than 8 year together it had to happen eventually!
Old 22 Jul 17, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Congratulations. What a fantastic day.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Congratulations. What a fantastic day.
Thank you It was an amazing day.
Old 13 Aug 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Aaaaand I've gone all soppy now. What a fantastic way to propose.

Can't wait to experience Palo, that food looks delicious.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Aaaaand I've gone all soppy now. What a fantastic way to propose.

Can't wait to experience Palo, that food looks delicious.
He did an excellent job! The food at Palo was delicious - the chocolate souffle is a must.
Old 16 Aug 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I'm torn between the chocolate souffle and the Grand Marnier souffle which some say is better...

Nice problem to have!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I'm torn between the chocolate souffle and the Grand Marnier souffle which some say is better...

Nice problem to have!
Our server was very kind and bought us both the chocolate souffle each and an amaretto one to share. Three souffles between two of us!

The Grand Marnier souffle at Lumieres was also nice, but a chocolate dessert always wins for me