Notices

Old 11 Sep 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Cha cha View Post
There's a post on the other animal thread, that says all cats are fine and accounted for, so, good news there 😊
That's great news!
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Robbies on Islamorada, where you could feed tarpon, has been wiped out. I'm after news of the conch on inn, if any one has any please let me know.

Not got a return booking, but Mike and Cindy are wonderful hosts and I hope they are ok
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Chocgirl93
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by BigSkip View Post
Robbies on Islamorada, where you could feed tarpon, has been wiped out. I'm after news of the conch on inn, if any one has any please let me know.

Not got a return booking, but Mike and Cindy are wonderful hosts and I hope they are ok
Robbies on Islamorada! I had read about this place on lots of tourist guides.

Hope your hosts from a previous stay are okay?
Chocgirl93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smudgester View Post
Hi all,

As above really. Searching the 'net today, suggests that Key West remained relatively unscathed but what about the rest ?

Seems a bit churlish to ask this question but we have seafront accommodation booked at Seafarer in Key Largo next Easter [ yes, I know it is a long way off ] and, to a layman's eyes the rooms don't look the most substantial of structures.

Slight panic is setting in with the OH (and myself to some extent) about what to do. Don't obviously want to start emailing the resort at this stage but what if we do need to start re-planning and rebooking ?

Anyone got any ideas/advice ?
We stayed at the Seafarer in June and loved it. Have been thinking about it and the other places we stayed on our road trip, especially Marathon and Key West. Check out my trip report. Do hope it's not too badly damaged, their beach area was lovely - as was the room and grounds. Sure by Easter they will be back up and running.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Link to the Sun Sentinel latest report issued at 1:30 am, September 12, 2017 on the Keys. touch.sun-sentinel/#secti.../p2p-94579885/

And here's a link to CNN latest report on ravaged Florida Keys which was updated 0402 GMT September 12, 2017

edition.cnn/2017/09/11/we...rma/index.html

I've pasted part of CNN's report below.

Southbound lanes of the 113-mile-long US 1, also known as the Overseas Highway, will remain blocked until the state Department of Transportation can guarantee the integrity of bridges along the highway, said Monroe County Administrator Roman Gastesi.
An initial assessment suggests a portion of the highway on Lower Matecumbe Key has been damaged, and a Florida Department of Transportation crew has been dispatched, said Jeannie Cann, an FDOT coordinating officer.
Marathon Councilman Steven Cook was providing live updates via Facebook about his effort to get home from the mainland Sunday, but the updates stopped in Tavernier, about 25 miles from the coast. Marathon Fire-Rescue was also providing updates as it made its way west, but it, too, stopped updating Facebook after declaring Sunday evening, "We have made it to Tavernier."
Councilman John Bartus of Marathon, about 65 miles from the mainland, called Irma's aftermath a "humanitarian crisis" and urged all evacuated residents to stay away until officials can remedy some of the destruction and rescue those who ignored the mandatory evacuation order.
"PLEASE - don't try to return to the Keys until you get an official okay," Bartus said on Facebook. "The first responders and crews on the scene are adamant that the Keys cannot handle any more people until they can assist the ones who are there and in need."

Edited at 05:28 AM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
newbi
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Does anyone have any news on The Buzzards Roost in Key Largo? We love it there but it must have been so vulnerable :-(

Also, any ideas how Theatre of the sea in Islamorada is? Those poor animals 😭
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by newbi View Post
Does anyone have any news on The Buzzards Roost in Key Largo? We love it there but it must have been so vulnerable :-(

Also, any ideas how Theatre of the sea in Islamorada is? Those poor animals 😭
Theatre of the Sea - car park under water - no idea further than that.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
newbi
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks BigSkip, hopefully they don't have much more damage xxx
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smudgester
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
We stayed at the Seafarer in June and loved it. Have been thinking about it and the other places we stayed on our road trip, especially Marathon and Key West. Check out my trip report.
Will do

Do hope it's not too badly damaged, their beach area was lovely - as was the room and grounds.
The beach area was one of main reasons why we booked with them

Sure by Easter they will be back up and running.
Here's hoping.
smudgester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoobyRay
Gone all Goofy

There was a guy that was streaming from the Gas station in Islamorada whilst Irma was approaching that went offline on Saturday. He was staying put so that he could serve the emergency services after the storm had passed over. Hope they are ok there
ScoobyRay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List