Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Nov 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

A Not So Scary, Very Merry, Not So Solo, Solo Trip. Oct/Nov 2017. Intro & Pre Travel Day.

Hello dibbers.
Here I am again, after what can only be described as the most amazing holiday to Walt Disney World EVER!
I had been counting down to this holiday for 633 days and had very high expectations for this trip. I am so happy that it honestly exceeded all of them. I had so much fun and there was so much laughter… and lots of tears on leaving day! I have 3 very lovely ladies to thank for making this trip so special who I will introduce a little later.

For those of you who don’t know me. I’m Stacey, 29, a customer services project manager from Norwich. I own my own home, have a dog called Tink, love my family, holidays, food and of course Disney.

Here we are:

Why the title? Quite simple really, I was there for Mickeys’ Not So Scary Halloween Party, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, booked to go solo, but ended up not spending much of the trip solo, and travelled at the end of October, returning home in November.

A very brief explanation as to why this trip meant so much to me…
After getting engaged in WDW in April 2014 to someone who turned out to be narcissistic pathological liar, then breaking up in April 2015, I started to think I could never enjoy WDW again. My parents then invited me to join them on their trip in the October of 2015. Whilst for the most part I enjoyed the trip, I also spent a lot of time disappearing to the loo to have 5 mins alone to cry. On returning from that trip, I realised I did still love Disney and wanted to go back and do it all properly, forgetting the past, looking forward to the future and make a whole load of new memories. My parents were not thinking about a return trip anytime soon (at the time) however they did end up returning this August! and I don’t have friends that can afford or would want to save that much money for a Disney holiday, so…I decided to put my big girl pants on and book another solo trip. I say another, as some of you will know I went to WDW solo in 2012….before my life got turned upside down!

I gave myself plenty of time to save as I was wanting to put a deposit down on my own home within the next 18 months too.

I am grateful to report that everything worked out. With a lot of hard work, determination and sacrifices I was able to purchase my own home, which I am so proud of, and still go to WDW. I did downgrade from a moderate resort to a value just to ease the pressure a little. I would rather stay at a value resort than not go at all.

So, who were these 3 lovely ladies that made this trip extra special? First of all we have Julie-Anne. Now this lady has been one of my rocks the past few years. We’d never met in person but spoke a lot on the dibb and facebook, when I was at my lowest she was always there. She is one of the most genuine, loveliest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and I am so thankful that I can now call her a friend for life. JA was planning to book a solo trip to the mouse at a similar time to me and we started to make plans together. A little way down the line, JA’s friend Vicki was coming along too. Vicki loves her shopping and a drink or 2 or 3…. Haha. Again, a lovely lovely lady. She also has a dog who is her baby. She and JA are very lucky to have each other.
Last but by all means not least, Kylie. Kylie messaged me on the dibb a few months before we travelled. She was going solo for the first time and was very nervous. We chatted for a while and I invited her to join me/us whenever she wanted. I’m so glad I did! She is hilarious! A cracking sense of humour and really doesn’t give a hoot what others think of her. She is also writing a trip report, which I guarantee will be funnier and much more entertaining than mine so be sure to go check it out.
We are all spread about the UK, Vicki up in Scotland, Julie-Anne in Durham, Myself in Norwich and Kylie in Southampton so how often we will now get to see one another is yet to be seen but I guarantee there will be a reunion at some point in the future… or maybe even another Disney trip.

Vicki - Julie-Anne - Me - Kylie

So, that’s me, the why, the when and the who else…so let’s get on with the show.

Pre Travel Day
Saturday 28th October
I was up pretty early, took the bins out, cleaned the loos, (I’d had a proper clean, hoover duster etc the night before) made sure I was happy I packed everything, locked up my case and waited very impatiently for the clock to strike 9.25am so I could do online check in.
Online check in was easy, I got myself a window seat near the exit, in the hopes I wouldn’t be disturbed throughout the flight and would have a pretty swift exit to avoid a long queue at immigration.

My mum arrived at around 9.40am to pick me up. I was spending a few hours with my parents and Tink before setting off to Gatwick that afternoon.
I had mum double check I’d turned everything off and shut all windows etc and then we were off.

I hung around at my parents for a bit watching Disney vlogs on youtube then remembered I needed to pop to the super marked to get a birthday card for my brother (his birthday was while I was away) and some snacks for in the room that night and on the plane. While there I got some lunch for us all – chicken pasta bakes.
On arrival back at my parents my aunt and uncle were there so the few hours we had left to kill went pretty quick chatting to them. Before we knew it, it was 3pm and I was saying goodbye to mum and smothering Tink with cuddles getting ready to leave. By 3.15pm dad and I were on the road to Gatwick.

The drive was uneventful. Dad made me listen to the football for the first half of the journey – bore. But once that finished he let me take control of the radio so I connected my phone via Bluetooth and disney and country music entertained us the rest of the way. We did make a stop at some services about half way for a wee and starbucks.

We arrived at Gatwicks Central Travelodge just before 6pm. Dad pulled in and unloaded my case for me then it was a quick hug goodbye and I waved him off. Check in was very quick. I was asked if I’d like a room on a high or low floor – never been given the option here before. I opted for high and lucked out with a newly refurbished room! Which I’ve since noticed on their website they call a superior room (or something like that) and charge extra for! Winner!

Once I got to my room I gave mum a call to let her know I was there and that dad was on his way back, took the obligatory pics, and freshened up a bit to go and get some dinner.

For Ł35 inc wifi I was well impressed with this room, even had a bit of an airport view. It was huge and I did do cartwheels to demonstrate to the girls on our group chat just how much room I had haha.

I had a 2 course meal and soft drink booked with my room at the hotels restaurant, (Ł13) I figured this would be the easiest option as I was on my own.

I was sat on a table in the middle of the restaurant which was a little awkward…I’d have rather been up against a wall or in a corner tucked out of the way but never mind. I just kept myself occupied with social media and you tube on my phone and was fine.
I had a BBQ chicken Pizza which was really good, a chocolate brownie and munchies sundae which was nice but I was too full from the pizza to enjoy and a diet coke.

I didn’t hang around once I’d finished eating. I grabbed a complimentary drink from reception and went back up to my room. Showered (my only grumble with my room – the shower was not hot enough for my liking, to get any sort of power I had to settle for luke warm water), dried hair etc and got into bed and watched TV. I put X factor on – I never watch X factor, and tonight I was reminded why. Utter load of tosh…of course that’s just my opinion. I don’t remember what time I went to sleep but it wasn’t late. Work had been mega stressful in the run up to this holiday and I was exhausted so with the alarm set for 5am I entered the land of nod with no trouble at all.

Tomorrow – Travel Day!

Edited at 02:30 PM.
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looking forward to reading all about your trip

Read the pre-travel day of Kylie's too and strangely you both said the same thing about eating alone!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
xxSmileyKyliexx
Very Serious Dibber

xxSmileyKyliexx's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Ooo yay! Love that you’ve decided to do a trippie! Can’t wait to read more xx
xxSmileyKyliexx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by xxSmileyKyliexx View Post
Ooo yay! Love that you’ve decided to do a trippie! Can’t wait to read more xx
Yeh, found myself wanting to share all the fun things we got up to so I started writing it last weekend and said to JA not to expect anything amazing. Unlike you, I took no notes so relying purely on memory and all the photos lol. xx
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
xxSmileyKyliexx
Very Serious Dibber

xxSmileyKyliexx's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by stace&tink View Post
Yeh, found myself wanting to share all the fun things we got up to so I started writing it last weekend and said to JA not to expect anything amazing. Unlike you, I took no notes so relying purely on memory and all the photos lol. xx
Ah it’ll be brilliant and it’s always great to read back on my memory is shocking as you know, had to keep asking you what we’d done to write in my phone your photos will be a massive help! Xx
xxSmileyKyliexx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So glad you've decided to do a trip report, looking forward to reading along.
Old 29 Nov 17, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lalalou
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

So excited to read your trippie, been following your instragram and looks like you had an amazing time!

when I went solo last year, I ended up sat next to a table of 10 in mama Melrose! Like you said you just get on with it and occupy yourself x
Lalalou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
chazb
Excited about Disney

Really looking forward to reading this x
chazb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Mobile

Aww I’ve never been called someone’s rock before 😊

Fab start to your trippie, so glad you and Kylie decided to write them 😍

Can’t wait for travel day!

JA xx

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruby_Rach
Excited about Disney

After following your planning and photos and FB and IG can’t wait to read the rest of your triply. Especially your views on Pop, we’re booked for all star sport next year but debating and upgrade
Ruby_Rach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List