Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Jan 18, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Trip to Portugal

My school friend from New Zealand is planning a trip to Europe and has always wanted to visit Portugal especially Porto and Lisbon probably 1st week of October so we are planning a joint trip.
Rough idea is to fly from U.K. to Porto have a couple of days there then take train to Lisbon stay for a couple of days.
I'd then fly back to the UK and she would travel on to Zurich
Anyone stayed in both places before and are there any 'must sees'
We are planning a city bus tour as a start

Edited at 01:00 AM. Reason: Addition
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Been to Portugal a few times but never Lisbon it Porto. Never given them much thought if I’m honest. However, I saw travel mans 48hrs in Lisbon last week and it looks like a beautiful city and I would certainly consider it in the future. Watch it on catch up - you will get some ideas from that
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

My sister in law lives in Porto (for last 20 years) been there a few times it's a beautiful place. I would do one of the boat tours along the river and a port wine tour of one of the many port warehouses. If you want me to ask her for places she would recommend just let me know.
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Thanks for the reply
The river trip in Porto sounds lovely
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
Thanks for the reply
The river trip in Porto sounds lovely
It really is and the one we went on had food and drinks so look for that one! Porto has a very long beach with so many bars and restaurants on it you cant go wrong. The trams are really good for getting around also. You will love it.
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We went to Lisbon for New Year and had a great time, loads to see and do.

Really easy to get around with the trams,metro and buses you can buy a Viva card for 50 cent then just top up with what you need / daily passes. Daily passes also covered the Santa Justa lift and funicular trams too.

Trip out to Belem is great. The Monastery is beautiful, saw the tower but would prebook and the statue to the discoveries. The custard tarts are delicious and quite cheap.

Alfama is a nice area to explore, very hilly but really lovely and some great viewing areas.

Sintra an easy train trip and definetley worth a look. We ran out of time when we went but loads to do there too. You can add the train onto your daily pass when you go.

A great restaurant we went to was called Bairrices, gorgeous tapas with an all you can eat menu. Great staff we had a really good night there. Tried some stuff we wouldn’t have ordered but it was amazing with some free drinks thrown in and really good desserts. If you wanted more of any food they just brought it.

It’s a beautiful city, we really liked it, you’ll have a great time

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 04:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the info on Lisbon
Old 16 Jan 18, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

We loved Lisbon- it is a great city, really easy to get a round, we did a lot of walking, there are some great viewpoints- we loved the MIRADOURO DAS PORTAS DO SOL, which is in the Alfama district. We also visited the Pantheon and St Vincent Church, we also walked all the way up to the Miradouro da Graca, that was really lovely, you can see the castle and all the way over to the bridge. The highest point that we walked to was the Miradouro da Senhora do Monte- that was just stunning!
disney_l81 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Lisbon is the most beautiful place, I dispair at those who only visit the south. As well the the places mentioned by previous posters I would recommend visiting the tower at Belem, the zoo/aquarium, but above all, sintra. It is a 45 min train journey from the central station at rossio, once you get there it is a wonderland. Pena palace, the Morrish castle, Quinta de regelara (my favourite) moneratt and capuios are the highlights. And you can also take an old fashioned tram to apple beach. My family are from Porto originally, which I haven't visited since childhood but I've been to Lisbon almost every year since birth, it's fabulous and you must try ucal chocolate milk and steak on a stone!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs-Weasley View Post
My sister in law lives in Porto (for last 20 years) been there a few times it's a beautiful place. I would do one of the boat tours along the river and a port wine tour of one of the many port warehouses. If you want me to ask her for places she would recommend just let me know.
I agree, Porto is beautiful. We went last year and we are going again next month.
My hubby does some work with a couple of the universities in Portugal so we usually tag on a few days for a short break, went to Algarve last June too.

Looking forward to going back to Porto. The river Duoro runs through the city which is pretty and lots of shopping opportunities too. Some great hotels - we stayed in NHBatalha booking/hotel/pt/nh-...lha.en-gb.html which was centrally placed and had a fabulous breakfast!
In Porto you're very close to the sea. We drove up and down the coast and spent time on fab beaches with the full force of the Atlantic breaking onto sandy beaches and lovely rock formations.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List