Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 28 Jan 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

Universal Studios - disability advice please

Hi all,

DH and I are hoping to visit US and IOA at Easter, mostly for Harry Potter.

DH is disabled and has two false legs meaning he cannot stand up for prolonged periods. Do you think he would qualify for a Guest Assistance Pass, and what do you have to do to get one?

Failing that, we could buy front of line passes, but these don't give you priority for Harry Potter, meaning we would have to queue, so there's no point of that.

We could then stay 1 night at a Universal Hotel - do you still get FOL passes, and would we get priority on the Harry Potter attractions?

Any advice welcomed
Old 28 Jan 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

The HP stuff does now have Express Access - whether purchased separately or through hotel room stay.

Would make sure you check the disability and riding information for Universal - on some rides he would have to remove the prosthetics (rip ride rocket for instance)universalorlando/u...cm37-61732.pdf
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Express passes are now valid at HP rides.

You could ask for the attraction pass for your husband.
you just need to go to guest relations and explain your needs

assistance pass comes in 2 flavors

one will be a card for priority. If the standby line is 30 minutes or less, you get immediate access through the Express Line
if standby line is over 30 minutes you get a return time (you can only have one return time at the same time)

the second type of priority access will be a set number of express passes (I think it's 3 or 6 per day) you can use on any attraction
if you get that kind of pass, you'll need to go to guest relations every morning to get the express passes for the day
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

Thanks everyone
Old 28 Jan 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack&LucysMumy
Very Serious Dibber

Hi
My husband broke his foot a week before we visited Florida in 2015 he was put in a removable boot to support his foot instead of a cast.
We visited guest services on arrival and they gave us special assistance passes and were very helpful.

These passes gave you a time slot to come back to the ride. It was the same amount of time as if we were to stand in the queue. It gave us chance to sit and rest (when he needed) and also have a mooch around the shops or pop on another ride if the queue was short.

He did have to remove his boot on the duelling dragons.
Hope this helps

Louise

Louise
Jack&LucysMumy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

That's useful information Louise, thanks
Old 29 Jan 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I queued up at guest services outside the park to be told the whole party had to be there so stay together. I went inside the park to meet up and we went into guest services there - no queue and they couldn't have been more helpful.
Perhaps if you see a big queue you might be better to go inside. That was Universal studios.
Old 2 Feb 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I queued up at guest services outside the park to be told the whole party had to be there so stay together. I went inside the park to meet up and we went into guest services there - no queue and they couldn't have been more helpful.
Perhaps if you see a big queue you might be better to go inside. That was Universal studios.
Agree with Scotty we went inside to get them in U. Studios the girl even swapped our vouchers for actual tickets as well so we didn't have to worry about soggy a4 sheets all week

Good thing about the pass is that it gives you no advantage to regular park visitors it just means you don't have to queue.

I didn't know about the 2nd option of fast passes for 3 rides. To be honest I think the first option is better.

We need a wheel chair right to the ride and the only fault I have is with some rides (Mummy) it's very dark and navigating a chair to the start point is quite tricky. For HP you miss a lot of the cool castle things as well in a chair.

Still I think they handle the disability aspect quite well (if you can transfer for those that cannot transfer Universal isn't quite so good)

Old 4 Feb 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack&LucysMumy
Very Serious Dibber

Yes we also visited guest services inside the park. They are very helpful.

Louise
Jack&LucysMumy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Never had a problem.
Rock up to HP in my rented scooter and they send you through a different entrane, into a couple of lifts and into a ride.
never needed a special pass TBH
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List