Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 Feb 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

SEND Register, Yes or No?

I realise this isn't really a planning question as such, so please move if necessary.

My 11yr old was diagnosed with Asperger's last year, and has been having some extra support in school. I've just received a letter from the SENCO to say that they are undergoing budget cuts and as my child has been coping well at school they plan to remove her from the SEND register.

I don't know whether this is a good thing or if I should object?! With a fairly recent diagnosis this is all still quite new to me and I'm hoping someone could give their opinion please?
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, did they say that they are going to stop with support too? I thought that with a diagnosis school received extra funding for the pupil (this is what my Dd old school told us) and if so that money should be for her support. Is she in Primary or Secondary?

I would fight to keep her on register, I don’t know what difficulties your Dd may have but my Dd age 13 with Aspergers was very good at masking (a trait for girls) and suffered extreme anxieties and sensory problems which escalated considerably when she went to Secondary school.
Old 6 Feb 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I was led to believe also that my daughters school gets extra funding for children with an SEN diagnosis, like you've said Tilly we were told something along those lines. I'd also be wanting to keep your child on the list, my daughter also has aspergers ( she's 9 ), school often gives her the routine she craves so she does come across a lot as intelligent , well behaved , happy but my daughter is very good at mimicking other girls behaviours and masking her behaviour at school, it's often a different story at home when the pressures of the day are released.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If she's eleven I presume she's in Y6, SATs in May and then senior school September. All very stressful for her and could have adverse effects on her.
Also if she's on SEN register it will alert Senior school to her needs before she starts.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sasperella View Post
If she's eleven I presume she's in Y6, SATs in May and then senior school September. All very stressful for her and could have adverse effects on her.
Also if she's on SEN register it will alert Senior school to her needs before she starts.
Very good points... my daughter doesn't do her sats until next year and is already fretting
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Geojen75
Gone all Goofy

It is a slight myth that schools get SEN funding based on a child's diagnosis. This would only happen with a child who had been given an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). This could include extra funding from the Local Authority.

A child who has any diagnosis may/may not then be on the SEN register. If they are on the SEN register they may/ may not need extra support or help across the school day (Sensory Circuits before school all the way to 1:1 support). These may/ may not cost money.

In terms of Finance - each school has a dedicated SEN budget. However it is not equivalent to the number of children on the SEN register in most authorities. It is worked out by a number of other factors.

If it is better that your child stays on the SEN register to flag her up as someone needing extra support (which may not cost any money) then ask for this.

Just playing devil's advocate but the local secondary school to here takes children off the SEN register at entry unless they have an EHCP! This doesn't mean they don't get extra help, it is just because they have too many children to administer to. Extra help still takes place etc.
Geojen75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone. I think I need to ask what support she will lose if she is taken off. Yes she's in y6, already horribly stressed about SATS as unlike many ASD kids, she really struggles with certain subjects (maths in particular). We're in a 3-tier system so she's in her 2nd year of middle school.

And yes, she masks extremely well and school just don't understand the trauma of getting her to school in the mornings, or the fallout at home if she's had a bad day - they think she copes with everything very well.

I'm finding it all very puzzling as school originally asked me what they could do to help DD - I have no clue to be honest! I thought they would offer various things, or might have observed areas where she could do with support, but it seems unless I ask for something, they won't offer. The ASD diagnosis was only 5 months ago and we were literally just left to get on with it!

I appreciate the replies, thank you.
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NLB View Post
I realise this isn't really a planning question as such, so please move if necessary.

My 11yr old was diagnosed with Asperger's last year, and has been having some extra support in school. I've just received a letter from the SENCO to say that they are undergoing budget cuts and as my child has been coping well at school they plan to remove her from the SEND register.

I don't know whether this is a good thing or if I should object?! With a fairly recent diagnosis this is all still quite new to me and I'm hoping someone could give their opinion please?
What would concern me is that the primary reason for being taken off the register should be the child, not budget cuts! Having been through education system a long time ago with my older children i would be very wary of coming off any register of list. Just be very aware of 'slipping under the radar' should additional support be needed in the future, you may have to start again! I would be saying to them that actually as your child is at a transition stage it might be something you would consider in the future but not presently. X
Old 6 Feb 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by NLB View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I need to ask what support she will lose if she is taken off. Yes she's in y6, already horribly stressed about SATS as unlike many ASD kids, she really struggles with certain subjects (maths in particular). We're in a 3-tier system so she's in her 2nd year of middle school.

And yes, she masks extremely well and school just don't understand the trauma of getting her to school in the mornings, or the fallout at home if she's had a bad day - they think she copes with everything very well.

I'm finding it all very puzzling as school originally asked me what they could do to help DD - I have no clue to be honest! I thought they would offer various things, or might have observed areas where she could do with support, but it seems unless I ask for something, they won't offer. The ASD diagnosis was only 5 months ago and we were literally just left to get on with it!

I appreciate the replies, thank you.
My Dd is newly diagnosed too and I was basically given a sheet with a list of websites to google for support! Luckily my Dd is under Paediatrics too as she has Microcephaly plus sleep problems and sensory issues so I do get some support there.

Unfortunately when my Dd went to Secondary school (she was on waiting list for Asd Assessment) although she was put on SEN register and had ed psych report which stated her needs school totally failed her. I battled for nearly 3 years and if I went into detail here you would not believe how they treat her. She was manipulated by her peers who took her dinner money etc, was supposed to have seen school nurse due to sensory issues and not managing her menstrual products (a major issue).

She had social skills lessons which were scheduled for 1/week (she had just 1 in 6 weeks!) every time she went for her lesson the door was locked and no one around (fantastic for an autistic child) and excuses made that they were busy with other things.

She has problems with her joints and physio wrote to school to inform them of strict guidelines with PE - no heavy stamina work, long distance running and extra supervision with trampolining due to co-ordination problems. She received so many injuries in PE as they just did not follow the guidelines and made her participate in all of the above, her Physiotherapist couldn’t believe it.

Finally in September of last year when she went into Y9 the pressure and workload increased in preparation for GCSEs and she deteriorated rapidly. I was going into school repeatedly because her anxiety levels were through the roof, she wasn’t eating and she had reduced her fluid intake to a few teaspoons per day as she didn’t want to go for a toilet break as she was scared of missing work.

She became gravely ill and then to top it off became a victim of bullying which school knew about (and didn’t tell me). I found suicide threats in her diary and went into school for a meeting with SENCO. They couldn’t have cared less, they refused to lessen her workload, said they had lost physio letter, didn’t have time for social skill lessons and when I told them she was now not drinking they just wasn’t interested.

I’m afraid I totally lost it, I took Dd out of school and de registered her and I am now home schooling her. I wish I had done this at start of Y7, she is absolutely thriving and every professional that has seen her since have said that they cannot believe the change in her.

Sorry for the long post, just hits a nerve as we were close to losing her. Be prepared to always have to fight for your Dd as it’s a sad fact that if you don’t she will be overlooked and in my Dd case even when I did fight it made no difference.
Old 7 Feb 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tillyjcm View Post
My Dd is newly diagnosed too and I was basically given a sheet with a list of websites to google for support! Luckily my Dd is under Paediatrics too as she has Microcephaly plus sleep problems and sensory issues so I do get some support there.

Unfortunately when my Dd went to Secondary school (she was on waiting list for Asd Assessment) although she was put on SEN register and had ed psych report which stated her needs school totally failed her. I battled for nearly 3 years and if I went into detail here you would not believe how they treat her. She was manipulated by her peers who took her dinner money etc, was supposed to have seen school nurse due to sensory issues and not managing her menstrual products (a major issue).

She had social skills lessons which were scheduled for 1/week (she had just 1 in 6 weeks!) every time she went for her lesson the door was locked and no one around (fantastic for an autistic child) and excuses made that they were busy with other things.

She has problems with her joints and physio wrote to school to inform them of strict guidelines with PE - no heavy stamina work, long distance running and extra supervision with trampolining due to co-ordination problems. She received so many injuries in PE as they just did not follow the guidelines and made her participate in all of the above, her Physiotherapist couldn’t believe it.

Finally in September of last year when she went into Y9 the pressure and workload increased in preparation for GCSEs and she deteriorated rapidly. I was going into school repeatedly because her anxiety levels were through the roof, she wasn’t eating and she had reduced her fluid intake to a few teaspoons per day as she didn’t want to go for a toilet break as she was scared of missing work.

She became gravely ill and then to top it off became a victim of bullying which school knew about (and didn’t tell me). I found suicide threats in her diary and went into school for a meeting with SENCO. They couldn’t have cared less, they refused to lessen her workload, said they had lost physio letter, didn’t have time for social skill lessons and when I told them she was now not drinking they just wasn’t interested.

I’m afraid I totally lost it, I took Dd out of school and de registered her and I am now home schooling her. I wish I had done this at start of Y7, she is absolutely thriving and every professional that has seen her since have said that they cannot believe the change in her.

Sorry for the long post, just hits a nerve as we were close to losing her. Be prepared to always have to fight for your Dd as it’s a sad fact that if you don’t she will be overlooked and in my Dd case even when I did fight it made no difference.
Wow! So sorry to hear all of this.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List