Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 8 Feb 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Updating the 'Everything you need to know' thread

Well, I didn't realise it was so out of date! I've been taking advantage of a quiet work day and started updating it .. I've done posts 1-5 so far and it's looking bright and sparkly again with new photos.

As I carry on though, would anyone like anything added, do you have any ideas that would really help the newbies?
Do you have experience of a particularly aspect of Disney Cruises ... cruising with children, cruising with special needs or anything else?

I'd love some more input from those who have cruised DCL before, but also .. for you newbies, what do you need to know from the guide?

Thanks all

Joa
Old 9 Feb 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Thanks for updating the thread, Bats - it was very useful for us!

Just a couple of suggestions:

Post 1 - the video doesn't work for me. Is there another one?

Post 2 - I think you mention this later, but is it worth mentioning that you can have lunch in the MDR which means you're not having to negotiate buffet plus luggage?

Post 8 - Palo is now $30 which you probably know!

Fish extenders - I wish I had known that if you order one from a US seller on Etsy or similar, you will not only pay shipping to them, but you may also have to pay customs. Our fish extender is beautiful and we use it at home every day for storing post, coupons etc - but if I had known it would cost me £60 then I might have reconsidered!

Also I would encourage people, if they join a FB group, to please post on the group! There were so many people in our FE that I knew nothing about, even the names of the children, because they never posted anything. And it would have been nice to have seen posts afterwards thanking us for the FE gifts. Not that we did it for the thanks, of course, but we put a lot of thought into them and it would have been nice to know they were enjoyed.

One idea we did was create a 'treasure map' with a challenge to find something on the ship which began with M, A, G, I, C (guess which ship we were on...). For a prize, we included a little bag of sweets or a pack of those tissues which look like £10 notes.

Also you've been hit by the 'curse of Photobucket' so some photos in various posts need replacing. Maybe ask people if they would like to contribute some? I would!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Special needs was something we really needed to know about with our son. Also I think you helped with a tip to find the rooms with 5 beds as he couldn't sleep in a bunk. Searching for a booking of 5 people to locate the cabins with the extra bed. Something so simple but reduced so much stress for us.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Thanks for updating the thread, Bats - it was very useful for us!

Just a couple of suggestions:

Post 1 - the video doesn't work for me. Is there another one?

Post 2 - I think you mention this later, but is it worth mentioning that you can have lunch in the MDR which means you're not having to negotiate buffet plus luggage?

Post 8 - Palo is now $30 which you probably know!

Fish extenders - I wish I had known that if you order one from a US seller on Etsy or similar, you will not only pay shipping to them, but you may also have to pay customs. Our fish extender is beautiful and we use it at home every day for storing post, coupons etc - but if I had known it would cost me £60 then I might have reconsidered!

Also I would encourage people, if they join a FB group, to please post on the group! There were so many people in our FE that I knew nothing about, even the names of the children, because they never posted anything. And it would have been nice to have seen posts afterwards thanking us for the FE gifts. Not that we did it for the thanks, of course, but we put a lot of thought into them and it would have been nice to know they were enjoyed.

One idea we did was create a 'treasure map' with a challenge to find something on the ship which began with M, A, G, I, C (guess which ship we were on...). For a prize, we included a little bag of sweets or a pack of those tissues which look like £10 notes.

Also you've been hit by the 'curse of Photobucket' so some photos in various posts need replacing. Maybe ask people if they would like to contribute some? I would!
yes that blasted Photobucket! All great suggestions, thank you. I'll add them in .. feel free to send photos Gill! You have my email right?

For FE, it's not a requirement at all to post afterwards about your gifts, it was never the intention of the FE to get thank you's after. I know you didn't do it for the thank you's, but it's not common to get them at all.

Originally Posted by DisneyBride08 View Post
Special needs was something we really needed to know about with our son. Also I think you helped with a tip to find the rooms with 5 beds as he couldn't sleep in a bunk. Searching for a booking of 5 people to locate the cabins with the extra bed. Something so simple but reduced so much stress for us.
I can certainly add that ... how do you fancy writing a bit on how you found DCL with a special needs child? Doesn't need to be war and peace, just little things you may have found useful ... food, shows etc. It must be a different experience if you have additional needs to consider?

Thanks
Joa
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I don't think I have your email, but I'll sort through my photos and see if there are any you might want.

As for FE, I wasn't suggesting it was a requirement to thank people at all. It's just that I spent a lot of time interacting with people on that FB group, and got to know quite a few, but almost all the ones in my FE group were people who never posted. So it was difficult to know whether what we were doing was the right thing. It was more of an encouragement that if you join an FB group, please do post on it so people can get to know you!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List