Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Feb 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Snoobs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Personally I would take about 500 in cash. And get a prepaid card that you can top up. Out £500 on it, Leave the rest in your bank account and top up as you go. That way if your card gets lost/fraud you haven’t lost all your money. We also use our credit cards from home for things like car hire deposits etc so it doesn’t eat into our spends.

This is just an idea though, everyone does it different, just find what works for you xx
Old 14 Feb 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

I love Using FairFX. Have two cards, barely put anything on them in case they get stolen and then just top up via the APP when we go shopping. So easy to use, customer service always been very good. Just don’t use for hotels or restaurants as sometimes take more as a holding payment than the actual bill. Never take more than £500 in cash as not covered by insurance. Also take a CC for hotel and restaurants
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I would split it between a small amount of cash, some on a pre paid card and leave some in my bank and use my credit card.
Originally Posted by KitchCairns2013 View Post
Dr Jumba, that is ridiculous idea - Id take more money to be honest if your averaging $200 dollars a day your going to run out quickly - i'd look about 7000 / 8000 region, specially if in Vegas and you get up to no good enjoy!
Why on earth do you think that it is a ridiculous idea? I only take a small amount of cash and put everything on a couple of credit cards (not a fan of pre-paid, but certainly don't think they're 'ridiculous').

And spending c. $250 dollars each day is quite a generous budget, how and why would they need a budget of over $500/day?

(I've assumed 21 days and 1.4 exchange rate)
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We take a couple of hundred pounds in cash and put the rest on credit card. We already have the cash to pay it off in the bank and we get almost bank rate by using our card... nationwide c.c. (No charge for using abroad either).

These days- or there rarely has been - a time to take it all in cash.

We holiday abroad 2-3 times a year and have yet to find anywhere other than a remote cafe in Iceland that didn't take a card!

Katie

Edited at 09:39 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
gaz316
Excited about Disney

In terms of the FairFX card how easy is it to top up using an app? We all have iphones.

Anyway to get two cards free of charge?

Edited at 02:50 PM.
gaz316 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tangled88
Excited about Disney

We take a mixture of cash and traveller's cheques. We only take traveller's cheques though as we stay on site so we know Disney will change up $200 a night for us. Next year we are staying in a villa so will probably just use our credit card

Hope this helps x
Tangled88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Suzieb01
Getting Excited

Mobile

I am taking $200 dollars cash with around 300 on currency card ( undecided which one to get yet) and will take my cc also
Suzieb01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gaz316 View Post
In terms of the FairFX card how easy is it to top up using an app? We all have iphones.

Anyway to get two cards free of charge?
We got a second card free but had to put a certain amount of money on it-think about £200.
Really easy to top up from iPhone or iPad app. Literally did it whilst in the shop in the queue for the till!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I would split it between a small amount of cash, some on a pre paid card and leave some in my bank and use my credit card.
Originally Posted by KitchCairns2013 View Post
Dr Jumba, that is ridiculous idea - Id take more money to be honest if your averaging $200 dollars a day your going to run out quickly - i'd look about 7000 / 8000 region, specially if in Vegas and you get up to no good enjoy!
I am also baffled as to why that is a ridiculous idea.

I would take a small amount of cash, the equivalent of maybe £200 and I do nothing else. I have never felt the need to get a prepaid credit card, I use my usual cards and accumulate more air miles towards my next flight.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

I took mainly cash last time with some on a pre paid card for our cruise spends

i couldnt get cash out with the card it kept saying the pin was invalid which it wasnt so a good job i hadnt loaded all our money on to it

em