Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Feb 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

We are now thinking 2 nights in Newport then on to cape cod 😬

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Our trip in August has changed weekly (if not daily) since we decided to go back in November.

We have now made hotel reservations (although most have free cancellation) and think we will stick with our latest plan not least because a lot of hotels were already fully booked for our August dates especially in Cape Cod, York harbor and the White Mountains.

I think New England is much like planning a Disney trip. Find things you want to do to fill the length of your holiday and accept that a lot will be left to do another time.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

I don't know if I am too late to help but we went to New England a few years back.

You don't say how long you are going for - we went for 11 nights and it was a very busy, but lovely, trip. We didn't get up as far as Bar Harbor.

Here is what we did:

Day 1 - Landed Boston Airport, immediately drove to Kennebunkport (via Portsmouth)
Day 2 - Drive to North Conway, via Old Orchard Beach, Portland and Kancamagus Highway
Day 3 - Drive to Stowe, via Jackson, Mount Washington Cog Railway and Montpelier(capital of Vermont)
Day 4 - visit Stowe, Ben & Jerry's factory tour, drive to Burlington, scenic cruise on Lake Champlain, back to Stowe, visit Von Trapp Family Lodge
Day 5 - Drive to Providence, stay overnight
Day 6 - Drive to Hyannis (Cape Cod) via Newport and Falmouth
Day 7 - Foot ferry to Martha's Vineyard, overnight Hyannis
Day 8 - Drive Cape Cod, including Chatham and Provincetown, overnight back in Hyannis
Day 9 - Drive to Boston via Sandwich and Plymouth
Day 10 - 12 - Boston

Re Stowe - it isn't a big place at all, but it's very pretty and we enjoyed it.

We particularly enjoyed our time on Cape Cod / Martha's Vineyard and as it was early September when we went, the trees hadn't turned so our focus was more on the coast.

We packed a lot in - mainly as the jet lag had us awake at the crack of dawn, and as Americans aren't known for staying up late, we managed to keep the early mornings going and it was amazing how much we managed to achieve.

It was one of the best holidays we have ever done - if you have any more specific questions I will do my best to answer them...
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Thank you for the replies,this is what we have booked
4 nights in Boston staying at the Newbury guest house
1 night in Kennebunk staying at The Port Inn
2 nights in Bar Harbor at Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
3 nights in North Conway at Comfort inn
2 nights in Newport at Bouchard Inn
3 nights in Cape cod staying in the Bayside resort hotel
Hopefully we have chosen nice hotels and good bases for our trip

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fabulous!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We stayed in the Bayside Hotel in Cape Cod and it was great.

It was comfortable and had 2 pools. The staff were very friendly. The thing I enjoyed the most was sitting in the Adirondack chairs by the water's edge after breakfast. We sat there drinking our coffee and watching the paddle boards go by.

We would like to return.
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
We stayed in the Bayside Hotel in Cape Cod and it was great.

It was comfortable and had 2 pools. The staff were very friendly. The thing I enjoyed the most was sitting in the Adirondack chairs by the water's edge after breakfast. We sat there drinking our coffee and watching the paddle boards go by.

We would like to return.
That’s good to know ,the sitting in the chairs drinking coffee sounds perfect just my thing .

Old 23 Feb 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We will be at the Bayside in August - sounds terrific! I can’t wait!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We are visiting this area in August 20-28th.

We have 4 nights in Boston already booked (20th - 24th) and then we want to visit Arcadia / Bar Harbour and also the White Mountains.

What we people suggest is the best way to do this. We were thinking 1 night in white moutains then 3 nights in Arcadia - does that sound OK? Nothing is booked yet for this bit

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Hi,

We are looking into this for next year.
We will have 2 weeks, the plan is we'll fly into Boston and spend 2 nights there, then head north via Salem to Portland for a night, I want to go on a lobster boat trip and eat the lobster we catch. Then head over to the White Mountains for some outside fun of zip wires, mountain rollercoasters for 2 nights etc then south again for some river tubing in Vermont for a night, then to Providence for a night then to Cape Cod for 7 nights probably staying in Hyannis as it is central and has the tacky stuff the kids will like and is close to the ferry for Martha's Vineyard yet driveable to everywhere else...

I'd be really interested in hearing other people's plans too. Want to get a flavour of the main states but cannot see anything worth making the trip to Connecticut for...

Happy planning!
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List