Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I graduated uni last year, but I worked around 30 hours a week over the 3 years that I was there. I usually worked late shifts after uni and full day weekends. My mum couldn’t support me financially and I had to pay to live at home so it was sort of a no choice situation. Worked out well for me though. Everyone in my uni group worked too.

Edited at 07:21 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My DD is at uni and she has a maintenance loan as well as her tuition loan. She also gets a bursary as my income qualifies her for that. In the holidays she works with a friend who is a photographer at graduation ceremonies so some sumner and Christmas work. I give her £50 a month. This is enough for her. She is studying English Lit so has a great deal of reading to do which takes up a lot of time. Also her timetable doesn't lend itself to working either full days in the week or shifts. I'm if the opinion that she's there to study and it's hard enough without her having to work too.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I graduated uni last year, but I worked around 30 hours a week over the 3 years that I was there. My mum couldn’t support me financially and I had to support her financially by paying half the rent and half the bills. I usually worked late shifts after uni and full day weekends. Everyone in my uni group worked too.
My daughter is in her final year of applied criminology and goes to a local University. She works sometimes up to 40 hours a week at our local Primark.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I worked about 18 hours a week whilst at uni (full time, taught masters degree) in a job related to my course. I did a pharmacy degree and worked in Boots as a dispenser. That work experience wasn't obligatory but really complimented the course as I got experience with the public.

I think managing the workload of uni, going to work, learning to budget etc. made me more motivated to succeed and I worked hard. I had some friends that were given spends from their parents and didn't have a job but they didn't appreciate it.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m in my last year of uni and have had a job, over summers I’ve had two jobs to make as much as I possibly can.

Currently studying law and working as a paralegal ☺️
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

I did french and German at uni and worked 3 jobs, 1 in New look, 1 in a bar then would go on to a nightclub. I went to uni in Nottingham so loads of students there. My parents didn't have extra money to give so for me if I wanted extras or money to go out, I had to earn it myself. It depends on what you are studying though I think too.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Our son is at university studying to become a nurse.
He has a part time job at McDonalds where he can pick up shifts as and when, and tends to do one shift per weekend just for a bit of spending money (He lives at home so will graduate with no debt. We are in Scotland).
If his placements span over weekends he will not be able to pick up a weekend shift but can at short notice nip in for a few hours through the week if he has no pressing revision etc.

However, he can also book himself as many shifts as he'd like when it comes to his time off between terms and in the summer break.
He knows he is lucky to be able to do this It's not a glamourous job but it suits his circumstances perfectly.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by JudgeJ26 View Post
My daughter is in her final year of applied criminology and goes to a local University. She works sometimes up to 40 hours a week at our local Primark.
Well done to her! The hard work all pays off in the end. I managed to save up enough to get a mortgage after I graduated, it’s worth it.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

DD didn’t work first year but had worked from age 14 and managed to save quite a bit. She did Camp America first and second summer (think she spent most of what she earned the first summer travelling after camp) She work for the uni (admin intern I think) during her second year 4 hrs a week minimum but often pick up a few extra hours for the department she worked for. She then had a years placement and is now back for her third year and now working for the uni again (admissions intern) for her department she really enjoys the work hours vary and she can do some work from home. She has found working for the uni is really flexible and great experience for her cv.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

Both my kids had jobs but they were lucky they were not set days or times. My daughter worked in a bar and was able to fit it in around studies and more importantly (to her) the uni socials. My son worked for his uni as an ambassador which meant helping other students and being available for open days etc.
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List