Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Confused with flight options.. Which is best..

Hi everyone

So I never booked when I saw the 'right' price and now I am kicking myself!

Anyway... We are now considering flying indirect for the first time and I am a little scared / worried / confused on what our best options are.
Has anybody ever done any of these and can tell me if any of them are stressful / not ideal etc.

1st Option - MAN - HEATHROW - MCO (cheapest option - £400 pp)

or

2nd Option - MAN - ATL - MCO (for an extra £75 pp each)

Not really what answers I am looking for but maybe just some reassuring stories please that it's not actually that bad flying indirect and is worth the money?!
Thank you!
Old 16 Feb 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

It is not that bad flying indirect and can be worth the money. I would do it every time but DW not a happy flyer.
Old 16 Feb 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
It is not that bad flying indirect and can be worth the money. I would do it every time but DW not a happy flyer.
Okay thank you! I'm worried in case one flight is delayed and then we miss the other etc.

What's the recommended amount of time to have in between flights?

Sorry this has already probably been asked 100 times
Old 16 Feb 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

If your journey is bought on a single ticket, then it is the airlines duty to get you there.
If you buy your tickets separately, then unlucky!

For what it's worth, I very much prefer indirects if my arrival layover is 3 hours or so and it is in the States. This gives me time to clear immigration and customs and thus, on arrival at destination, its straight to baggage pick up as you have flown an internal flight.

On the return route, an hour is fine as long as you are staying 'airside', a little more if you need to change terminals and do security again (without your hold baggage as you don't see it).

Given your options and prices, I would do Man-LHR-MCO. Cost is king!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

I'd go for option 2 and change in ATL.

Whilst it can be easy, it can be equally frustrating getting between Heathrow & Gatwick.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kat90
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Is the second leg of the MAN - HEATHROW - MCO flight definitely flying from Heathrow and not changing to Gatwick? I don’t think you can fly to MCO from Heathrow. Someone correct me if I’m wrong!
kat90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cantcook View Post
I'd go for option 2 and change in ATL.

Whilst it can be easy, it can be equally frustrating getting between Heathrow & Gatwick.
Good point. Atlanta it would be!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Originally Posted by kat90 View Post
Is the second leg of the MAN - HEATHROW - MCO flight definitely flying from Heathrow and not changing to Gatwick? I don’t think you can fly to MCO from Heathrow. Someone correct me if I’m wrong!
You're right! Oops. God that sounds like a bit of a nightmare having to travel between the two.

Sounds like we will be flying indirect with somewhere in the US then

I will look for at least 3 hours going there too, thank you! This has made me feel a little bit more at ease.
Old 16 Feb 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
100% the change in the US, I would hate to have to change in the UK then have all the hassle of MCO immigration!

By changing in the US you will arrive in Orlando as a domestic flight and breeze through.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wheety1621
Excited about Disney

We're doing Man-Heathrow-gatwick-orlando but we are doing the man-lhr the day before to give us time to get to Gatwick (it's on a Saturday so shouldn't be too bad) and then gives us a relaxing night in hotel at Gatwick all ready for travel day the next morning. We're Essex based so on return, we'll be dropping the Lhr-man flight and leaving at Gatwick.

So apart from having to get a cheap coach/train up to Manchester day before, we're practically getting direct flights for £525pp in August this year! Super happy 😁😁

Edited at 06:14 PM.
wheety1621 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List