Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Robbies-tackle
Excited about Disney

Living in Edinburgh we have no choice to go indirect unless paying stupid money with Tui during the school holidays.
Our preferrred option is edi-Lgw-tpa or edi-lhr-mia with around a 2 hour transfer time in London. Touch wood we've had no issues.
Our other options are:
via Dublin to Orlando which is great as clear immigration in Dublin.
Direct from Edinburgh to either New York or Chicago then clear immigration there. Only done the NY route once but got severely delayed on the way back due to a storm on the Eastern seaboard.

So lots of options. This year we're going to Fort Myers in April so Edinburgh to Miami via Heathrow then in September we're going to Toronto then Chicago to see ds - Edinburgh to Dublin then onto Toronto, driving down to Chicago, then home via Dublin

Indirect is honestly fine and I hardly ever even look at direct prices. Miami flights are £249pp using some Avios and Toronto multi city flight is £402pp cash.

I hope this helps
Robbies-tackle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bandofox
Helping Mickey

Depending on the season I'd avoid new York and Chicago ect as they can get really bad snow and ice.

We have changed in Atlanta, New York, Washington and Mia all were ok but I would definitely allow 3 hours as a minimum.
I always check when the next flight is just in case we miss ours

Also used Jacksonville, Tampa and Mia then driven to Orlando.

At Easter we are flying to mco direct but connecting to Atlanta 2 hours later as we are touring Georgia. It's a bit tight but we know the airport and there are flights every hour just in case.

In August we are changing in Philadelphia both ways.
bandofox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

MAN KEF MCO
Via Icelandair with a change at Reykjavik
The flights are still running in Sept.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

We are flying MAN-DUB-MCO so we preclear customs and immigration in Dublin.

We are actually doing the Manchester to Dublin leg the day before, staying overnight at Premier Inn and then Dub-Mco the next day.

Worked out far cheaper than flying direct from Manchester.

But yes, I would either land in the US to clear immigration/customs there or fly into Dublin and do it there.
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WendyWilson
Imagineer

WendyWilson's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We're flying MAN-ATL-MCO in October this year. We've done this leg a few times now, ATL is a great hub airport and very well organised. Just make sure you have at least 2 hours between flights as immigration can be very busy but it is very easy to do and it means you arrive at MCO as domestic so no need to do 2nd bag drop. Prices were reasonable.
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
100% the change in the US, I would hate to have to change in the UK then have all the hassle of MCO immigration!

By changing in the US you will arrive in Orlando as a domestic flight and breeze through.
Totally agree, anything to avoid MCO security and layout.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Toff Princess
Getting Excited

Toff Princess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 21
I'm going to go against the grain and say do option 1.

Personally, i am one of those people who likes to get comfy on a flight. I would hate to settle down watch a film or two and then have gather my stuff to change and have to re-settle. For the first leg of the flight in option 1 I wouldn't even kick off my shoes!

Also £75 per person is a nice disney dinner and a few lovely souvenirs. Why throw it away for an easier immigration line. I mean the day is wasted anyway its a long-haul flight.
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I find Orlando one of the worst US airports to clear immigration so I'd choose the Atlanta connection as getting off at Orlando and grabbing your bags and heading straight out is vastly preferable to landing and then getting into a queue.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post

I read a thread the other day about indirect flights and was interested to read it was so much cheaper. However after checking a few different flight search engines, for various times of year, I found very little difference in price, most was £20 saving for a six hour longer journey.

If your incentive is avoiding Orlando immigration however, then fly into US and transfer domestically.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List