Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Feb 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
The manager may be waiting until he has spoken to the impudent check-out staff before contacting you. However, they should have kept you up to date if that is the case.
Give it till tomorrow and then take your case further by contacting customer care.
I don’t like the current trend of staff engaging with customers about their purchases- what I buy is my business and does not need approval from anyone.
That was not impudent , it was downright offensive and any manager worth their salt would be on to the customer straight away to assure them they would be investigating further.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
louvb
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That is awful! You were better than me tho I would have got into a blazing row! You certainly need to complain in the strongest possible terms. But don’t forget you’re a lovely person inside and out xxx
louvb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
The manager may be waiting until he has spoken to the impudent check-out staff before contacting you. However, they should have kept you up to date if that is the case.
Give it till tomorrow and then take your case further by contacting customer care.
I don’t like the current trend of staff engaging with customers about their purchases- what I buy is my business and does not need approval from anyone.
When I worked in the lingerie section of m&s, once a month we were monitored on the tills (a manager stood behind us with a check board) and if we didn't comment (although positively) on the customers purchase we would be marked down. I felt so awkward doing it as it was obviously mostly bras and pants!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
When I worked in the lingerie section of m&s, once a month we were monitored on the tills (a manager stood behind us with a check board) and if we didn't comment (although positively) on the customers purchase we would be marked down. I felt so awkward doing it as it was obviously mostly bras and pants!
That's totally OTT! Have they considered that customers might not want you to comment on their purchases (especially underwear)? Probably not, M & S execs seem to be losing the plot.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
That's totally OTT! Have they considered that customers might not want you to comment on their purchases (especially underwear)? Probably not, M & S seem to be losing the plot.
There's nothing quite like folding someone's pants while trying to make conversation while your manager is watching the transaction. Bet the customer enjoyed it as much as I did...
Something along the lines of "well these look very comfy" holding up a pair of pants!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Crystaljordan
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moody230 View Post
A bit of a long one but not sure what to do about it?

Whilst shopping at my local Sainsbury’s store last night I was repeatedly humiliated and judged for the contents of my shopping basket by the checkout assistant. This was in front of a large queue and my 8 year old son. I purchased a Slimming World magazine which was the first item of a basket load on the conveyer belt. The sales assistant said ‘you do know it’s just a magazine and won’t work?’ he then scanned a ham and pineapple pizza and said ‘so why you buying a pizza with a slimming world magazine and held it up? i said ‘it’s for my son’s tea’ and pointed at my son who was standing next to me, he then held up the pain au chocolat’s and said ‘what about these?’ i replied ‘actually their for my daughter’s breakfast.’ He then lifted up the croissants and said ‘i suppose your gonna say the same about these’.

I’ve never felt so humiliated and embarrassed in my life! He made another derogatory comment about buying the magazine, but at this point I genuinely cannot remember what it was and just wanted to get out of there. I left the store physically shaking and reduced to tears.

What the sales assistant also failed to recognise is not only is it none of his business what I choose to purchase, but my 8 year old son who witnessed the incident has been gastrostomy fed via a feeding tube since birth, and a result has a very limited diet. If he wants to try a pizza, I am more than happy to buy him one and should not be humiliated in front of him and other customers for doing so.

On returning home I contacted the store and asked to speak to the manager, I was informed he was not in so I was put through to the assistant manager. He took my number and said he would inform the store manager about what had happened and apologised. He said the store manager would call me back today. No surprise, he hasn’t.

The only outcome i’m seeking from this degrading experience is that other people are not judged and humiliated in the way in which I was for buying a slimming magazine. The sales assistant may have thought he was being funny, but the tirade of abuse in front of a large queue lasted several minutes, in which the only look on my face was one of embarrassment and still he did not take this as a cue to stop.

I now feel too ashamed and embarrassed to set foot in the store.

A mum of two, slightly over weight size 14, but who’s judging?!
Probably just trying to make you feel that you didn’t really need to be buying that magazine, maybe ?, they are booked on these ‘putting people first’ courses in their line of work, and maybe he was just trying to make you feel better as a customer, that you didn’t really need that magazine, yeah, maybe judgemental of him but I’m sure he didn’t realise, and no it didn’t really need to happen, yes, I get where you’re coming from, it didn’t work, just made you feel worse, but I’m sure he wasn’t actually wanting to upset you, probably the opposite and thought you might take it as a compliment, was he youngster ?, just saying, my own son is very complimentary and non judgemental, he will always try to say the most wonderful things to people to try to make them happy without thinking it through thoroughly, however I’m really sorry that you felt that way, I’m sure he will be mortified once he’s learnt the error of his ways...xxxx
Crystaljordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
There's nothing quite like folding someone's pants while trying to make conversation while your manager is watching the transaction. Bet the customer enjoyed it as much as I did...
Something along the lines of "well these look very comfy" holding up a pair of pants!
Isn't it ridiculous!

"Ooh, thermal! Nothing like warm cheeks!"

Chatting to customers about their new pants is not where M&S' business succeeds or fails. I imagine it makes them feel they're being proactive; they just haven't thought it all the way through. They have better things to work on.

As the OP's experience shows, it's better to be friendly and polite and make neutral small talk.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Originally Posted by Crystaljordan View Post
Probably just trying to make you feel that you didn’t really need to be buying that magazine, maybe ?, they are booked on these ‘putting people first’ courses in their line of work, and maybe he was just trying to make you feel better as a customer, that you didn’t really need that magazine, yeah, maybe judgemental of him but I’m sure he didn’t realise, and no it didn’t really need to happen, yes, I get where you’re coming from, it didn’t work, just made you feel worse, but I’m sure he wasn’t actually wanting to upset you, probably the opposite and thought you might take it as a compliment, was he youngster ?, just saying, my own son is very complimentary and non judgemental, he will always try to say the most wonderful things to people to try to make them happy without thinking it through thoroughly, however I’m really sorry that you felt that way, I’m sure he will be mortified once he’s learnt the error of his ways...xxxx
Seriously?

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
That was not impudent , it was downright offensive and any manager worth their salt would be on to the customer straight away to assure them they would be investigating further.
Wow - bit touchy there.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I am very much in the camp that i think people get offended too easily these days BUT this is outrageous! I am sitting here getting annoyed for you. I would totally take this to Head office, the cashier was so out of order it's untrue 😠😠.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread