Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile VA paying with miles?

I have enough miles for the outward flight to Orlando, but I can’t work out how to book my return flight. The website says there are no return tickets, but I just want a regular full price seat anyway. Am I missing something? Only used miles & money before. Thanks
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

You can only pay with miles if there are miles rewards flights available. It's not like miles and money where you're booking a regular fare and using miles as a discount. They only release a limited amount of miles fares and it can be hard to find a return flight. Easiest way is to search one way fares using the 5 weeks option. Once (if) you find suitable dates, then book those as a return.

However if you're flying economy, M&M may be a better option anyway as the bulk of an economy fare is fees and taxes which you still have to pay on a miles fare.

ETA: I just noticed you said you have enough miles for the outward. You can't book a return flight partially with miles. You'd have to book a one way with miles and then a separate one way with cash - the latter being ridiculously expensive on most carriers, Virgin included.

Edited at 08:21 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I lost tens of thousand of these points because they could never be booked in school holidays, at least not USA flights for Manchester. Total waste of time for me.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I lost tens of thousand of these points because they could never be booked in school holidays, at least not USA flights for Manchester. Total waste of time for me.
I've 'spent' over 1500000 virgin miles over the last 10 years, all MAN-MCO all at Easter, Summer Hol time and Xmas. You just need to be patient and a little bit flexible when searching.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I've 'spent' over 1500000 virgin miles over the last 10 years, all MAN-MCO all at Easter, Summer Hol time and Xmas. You just need to be patient and a little bit flexible when searching.
Yep I've spent similar amounts and always for Christmas school holidays
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MissCellaneous
slightly serious Dibber

May I suggest calling the flying club? Not everyone there is equally helpful or knowledgeable (not meaning to be mean) but if you get someone good, they should be able to help with what may work best. I got a guy called Simon the other month who found return PE for us with mine and my husband's miles and an upgrade reward, (MAN-MCO) for taxes only. A different employee found nothing for us and knew none of the miles transfer tricks etc. it seems, he could only see what we found online - where there had appeared to be no availability.
Old 16 Feb 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
No need to ever loose miles you just need to use the account and the date will be extended.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all. Miles & money seems to be working out better for us anyway. Didn’t think we could go twice this year but the savings on these flights will really help!
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Dublingirl
Helping Mickey

Definitely give Virgin Atlantic a call. We have alway found them to be extremely helpful when it comes to using our miles. It does help if you can be flexible with your dates.
Dublingirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

You need to make sure there is a return rewards flight available otherwise the return cash flight is usually more than a cash flight both ways, and negates any saving for you.