Notices

Old 22 Sep 10, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dangallimore
Imagineer

The backup plan pre trip

Hey Guys, this is my first pre-trippy so thought id give it a trial run before our trip next year.

Background: Each year we go away with my inlaws, we go to a place called port gaverne in cornwall. They including my OH have been going here for 20+ year. Over the ridge is a place called port Isaac which has recently been made famous for the Doc Martin series on ITV1.

So the cast members.

Myself - Dan

My OH Lou & DD Sophie (taken on her first holiday here last year)

I dont have photos of my MIL or FIL

oh and our dog ty

I called this The Backup Plan trip as we were ment to fly to florida today but due to some issues with our friends who were coming with us we had to cancel. So the inlaws stepped in and why break tradition.

So, we go for 1 week on the 9th October and we are staying at the same place we have always stayed and the place my OH and her parents have been staying for for the best part of 15 years (first few years they stayed in hotels)

So, our home for the week is a beautiful house sat at the top of the hill with great views of the port and the sea.
(a couple of photos from when we went)

and here is the website for the place: carn-awn
Its own by a lovley couple who live at the end of the drive.

So the week normally just consists of alot of walking, beach walks and such, the MIL loves all the little villages dotted around and spends hours in each shop in them!

We drive down and its normally about 5pm by the time we get there, we'll arive and unpack and i'll set the bedroom up with DD's travel cot etc and we'll nip out to get abit of shopping for tea.

The sunday normally consists of out early with the dog on the port, back for a shower and breakfast. Then we head off to The Jamaica Inn in bodmin for sunday lunch and then a potter around bodmin, normally get a shop in too.

The rest of the week we normally play by ear depending on weather, but we'll head over to port isaac and out with the dog.

So there you have it, my first pre-trippy. Hope you enjoyed the breif read and I'll be back with the trip report in a few weeks
Old 18 Jan 11, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jubileegirl
Serious Dibber

Did you ever write that trip report as I'd love to read it!
We have friends who own a holiday home in Port Isaac and it is beautiful all along that coast. Very different from a WDW holiday but I hope you had a great time enjoying how beautiful the UK is.
jubileegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 11, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'd be interested to read it too, as we've just booked a cottage near Bodmin for a week in July. We've only been to Cornwall once so I need recommendations.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 11, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dangallimore
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jubileegirl View Post
Did you ever write that trip report as I'd love to read it!
We have friends who own a holiday home in Port Isaac and it is beautiful all along that coast. Very different from a WDW holiday but I hope you had a great time enjoying how beautiful the UK is.
Hi,

No sorry, I completely forgot Id put this up to be honest

I have to admit i love it there, its surreal that we have places like this in the UK.

As in my post my inlaws and OH have been going here for a good 20 years now and we always stay in the same place, lovley place. I went for the first time about 5 years ago and fell in love with it. It really is a different type of holiday to WDW but its so nice and relaxing. Its definatly a place / tradition I think we will carry on with our own family. Our DD loved the beach.

Alot of the days were spent around the local beaches with the dog and in the local towns "mooching"

We took trips to Truro, Bude, Falmouth, Tintagel as we do each year.

I have some photos, i'll add to it later tonight if I remember, my memory is pretty bad for my age

Pity we cant afford to go this year as its something I do look forward to, but nevermind WDW will have to do haha.
Old 18 Jan 11, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dangallimore
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I'd be interested to read it too, as we've just booked a cottage near Bodmin for a week in July. We've only been to Cornwall once so I need recommendations.
Definatly go and check out The Jamaica Inn Its a tradition for us to go for sunday lunch here ever time we go. Alos check out the Jail too, thats pretty cool

As I mentioned above, Tintagel is a nice little town, Boscastle too its nice. Truro is the big city down there, Falmouth again is a nice area.

Defiantly check out Port Issac, proper little fishing village.

Loads of beaches about there, alot of dog friendly ones too if your taking a pet with you. Daymer bay is nice.
Old 18 Jan 11, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List