Notices

Old 1 Jun 09, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
merkat
Apprentice Imagineer

The Journey

We are having to work on Wed 26th Aug, then when finished pack up and drive down to Heathrow (not looking forward to this but but thought i will probably be excited to care!)

We are then checking into Travelodge Central (2 rooms at £19 per night) must ring up and try and get them connected or at least next to each other.

I am still indecided wether to keep the car at the point and get meet and greet parking for the following morning or to park it on the Wed night then get shuttle/taxi to airport? I think i'm leaning towards meet and greet! Any thoughts?

We will prob just grab some food, is there anywhere near by (ie walking distance like a TGI's etc that people know of?if its too late prob just grab some food there or on the way) have a few drinks and try and sleep shouldn't be too hard after a busy day at work and long drive i wouldn't have thought!

Next day up about 6am showered and aim to be at airport for about 7am flight is at 11.15am, plan to do OLCI the day before we leave home fingers crossed so bag drop then go and explore, heard good things about the Terminal Virgin fly from.

Take off about 11.15 on VS007 Virgin Atlantic Airbus and land in LAX 10.5hours later i think

Local time there is about 14.35 great just in time for rush hour!

Old 2 Jun 09, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds good so far I'd really like to do this trip just got to convince the rest of the family.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

It could eb a good thing you are working the day before, that way you have something to keep your mind occupied rather than be spending the day bouncing of the walls with excitment, though you'll probably still do that anyway if you're anything like me
We still haven't (well I haven't) decided what we are going to do the night before either stay in a hotel at heathrow, stay at home and drive there in the morning, or just get a taxi that morning. Although we live in London, we live the other side of Heathrow so its either sdrive through central London or on the M25 both of which can be a nightmare drive with traffic, and i like staying at the airport the night before because i ts good to know we are actually there and can't get stuck in traffic and miss our flight.
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 09, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We are travelling to Heathrow to day before aswell, but on a Saturday rather than midweek. We are going to drive up first thing in the morning and go to Thorpe Park for the day. It's the only option living so far away isn't it?! We are staying at The Pinewood Hotel in Slough and for £170 we get bed & breakfast for 1 night, 23 days parking and taxi transfers so we're really pleased with this price.

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 09, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
merkat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracyh View Post
We are travelling to Heathrow to day before aswell, but on a Saturday rather than midweek. We are going to drive up first thing in the morning and go to Thorpe Park for the day. It's the only option living so far away isn't it?! We are staying at The Pinewood Hotel in Slough and for £170 we get bed & breakfast for 1 night, 23 days parking and taxi transfers so we're really pleased with this price.
I know i live quite near you and have never flown from anywhere apart from Manchester, slightly nervous (the unknown) and have heard terrible things about traffic in London, but we will leave Northwich (after picking my friend up) about 7pm so hoping the traffic won't be that bad, do you know how long it will take? x
Old 8 Jun 09, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Originally Posted by merkat View Post
I know i live quite near you and have never flown from anywhere apart from Manchester, slightly nervous (the unknown) and have heard terrible things about traffic in London, but we will leave Northwich (after picking my friend up) about 7pm so hoping the traffic won't be that bad, do you know how long it will take? x
Don't worry about the traffic in London, it isn't really THAT bad and you won't have to deal with it anyway. If you're coming from Cheshire do you come into London from the M1? you'll end up straight on the M25 towards Heathrow and won't be coming near central London and i'm sure the roads will be quite quiet by that time anyway
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 09, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
How exciting! You'll love California i'm sure, it's a very different experience to Florida but in many ways I enjoyed it more and can't wait to go back. Don't feel too disappointed about NY, there are always future US trips to visit it and from my experience of being a California first timer there is sooo much to do there that adding on a city on the opposite coast could potentially be very tiring and incur more travel time that could be spent enjoying your hol We're doing NY and Boston this year before Orlando as the flight is only 3 hours, maybe that's something you could consider for a future trip?
Ooh just noticed you mentioned Northwich! I'm originally from Frodsham and my family still live there... Small world! We did a connecting flight from Manchester to San Fran then Vegas to Manchester so no experience of travelling to London for a flight but i'm sure you'll be fine

Edited at 10:14 AM.
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 09, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

You have little over month to go now, how exciting

So what other plans have you made? what will you be doing with your days in San Diego?
Old 14 Jul 09, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
merkat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sarah84 View Post
You have little over month to go now, how exciting

So what other plans have you made? what will you be doing with your days in San Diego?
I know can't believe it still to do is:

get money
do esta's
do API's
get tickets
get car hire!

phew not to big a list compared to the first one! i have been mental busy which explains my lack of pre trippie!

In SD we will be shopping, beaching, going to seaworld, going to San D Zoo, Exploring the centre and old town and La jolla.

I am still wanting to book one night somewhere in San Diego thats more central but not decided where?

What about you any last min additions or you all done!?

So excited!±! x
Old 14 Jul 09, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Originally Posted by merkat View Post
I know can't believe it still to do is:

get money
do esta's
do API's
get tickets
get car hire!

phew not to big a list compared to the first one! i have been mental busy which explains my lack of pre trippie!

In SD we will be shopping, beaching, going to seaworld, going to San D Zoo, Exploring the centre and old town and La jolla.

I am still wanting to book one night somewhere in San Diego thats more central but not decided where?

What about you any last min additions or you all done!?

So excited!±! x

Ooh not much for you left to sort out nwo then.

-We still got more dollars to get
-Book our hotel in SD which will be in the downtown/gaslamp area, booking this through hotwire atm they have rates for a 4* in Gaslamp for $110 a night which I have figured out is the Westin Gaslamp which i'd be happy with ut going to hang it out just a couple more weeks hoping it may come down a bit more, but im happy to pay that price
-Got to get my travel insurance and i think we are done