Old 22 Sep 10, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Alone at last in San Fran & California Mini Road Trip

Hi all - was not sure whether to trip report or not for my next hol but I get so much out of looking back on them, that I decided to indulge myself and hope other people get something out of them as well.

This trip is the first nearly two week holiday that J and I will have had - we have been seeing each other for 18 months now - where did that time go? So far - we managed a 10 day road trip to Slovakia, when we had only known each other 2 months - mad or what? and one week in Zakynthos last September.
Since then we did Route 66 with his three daughters and one of their boyfriends, which was great and then a long weekend in Barcelona with friends.
Hence the title - I think by now, we know that we will get along fine, he drives and I direct operations

Anyhow - here is the plan:

Friday 1st October
- fly to San Francisco via Zurich! We are using J's Star Alliance miles and therefore can only use certain carriers. We tried to get Business, but they only allocate a certain number of seats for using airmiles and we were out of luck No problem for me as Swiss Air economy is fine, but J has long legs and is worried about cramp. I'm sure it will be ok.
Stop press - J rang to enquire about availability in Business for the umpteenth time and they actually had 2 seats - so we are now flying out Business as well - it only cost £40 to upgrade, plus £40 to cancel the other seats and tax. J had to use more of his airmiles, but thankfully he had enough
Arrive locally around 5pm and head for this place for 4 nights:

This is the (Best Western) Hotel California - I kid you not! Generally good reviews on trip advisor, it's near Union Square. We are only sleeping there anyway and hoping for a room upgrade as J has a Best Western Diamond card.
This is what one of the rooms is meant to look like:

First day (Saturday) we are doing the early bird tour of Alcatraz, figuring that we will be up at the crack of dawn. Then we may do some of the bus sightseeing tour - we got discount vouchers when we were in Barcelona for 'partner cities' and San Fran is one of them. Stroll around dinner and probably an early night.

Sunday 3rd October - more sightseeing and general city exploring. Want to do a Blues club in the evening if we can.
Updated - we have booked dinner and the show at Biscuits and Blues, one of the best blues clubs in the city supposedly. Looking forward to this one

Monday 4th October - J will need to do some work and then we are not sure...

Tuesday 5th October - pick up hire car from midtown then head to San Jose, about 40 miles away, where J has a trade conference (and the initiator of the whole trip). He will look round and network, not sure what I will do. Need to read up on 'things to do in San Jose'!
Evening head to Santa Cruz and booked into the Babbling Brook Inn here - recommended by a work colleague and again reviewed well generally. We are here for 2 nights and I have booked a four poster bedroom overlooking the water wheel

It is meant to be only a short walk to the seafront and pier (where some of the Lost Boys was filmed)

Wednesday 6th October - J may need to go back to conference for a short while. If not, explore Santa Cruz and area. Night at Babbling Brook again.

Thursday 7th October - set off down the coast Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur - overnight at any motel we fancy when we have had enough.

Friday 8th October
- visit here:

Hearst Castle (which I had never heard of before we planned this trip - J wanted to go and now, so do I)

Overnight ?

Saturday 9th October - head over to Yosemite National Park, we have booked in the Yosemite Bed & Breakfast for 2 nights. This only has 4 rooms and books up quickly. This is the view from their deck:

We plan to spend one and a half to two days exploring Yosemite.

Monday 11th October

More Yosemite? and then head over to the Napa Valley where we are booked into the Holiday Inn Express for our last two nights.

Tuesday 12th October

Tour as much of Napa as we can and visit a couple of wineries/vineyards. We have been recommended Duckhorn and Silverado, so will start with those.

Wednesday 13th October

We have to have the car at the airport before 11am and then our flight leaves around 3pm. We are flying Lufthansa via Frankfurt (!) BUT we did manage to get Business coming , it is overnight and they have the true 'lie flat' beds.

Thursday 14th October

Arrive back in Manchester - hopefully with lots of new, fabulous memories and still all loved up

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 09:46 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 10, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post

sounds good, have a great time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 10, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds lovely, can't wait to read more.
Old 22 Sep 10, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sounds like a really intersting trip, I hope you do a full trip report on your return as there are a few places on your route that I'd love to see.
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 10, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like a fab trip, look forward to reading your trip report on your return
Old 22 Sep 10, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds great
Old 23 Sep 10, 06:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinders Mum
Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Cinders Mum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14
sounds wonderful Sue... and WOW, I cannot believe it's been 18 months either, that's really flown in, and I have to say I am so very happy for you. You deserve happiness xxxx

HELEN KNOWLES
GOLD PERSONAL TRAVEL COUNSELLOR

T: 01205 804340
E:helen.knowles@travelcounsellors.com
http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/helen.knowles

Travel Counsellors Trust Protection on Every Part of your Booking. ATOL Bonded.
Cinders Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Cinders Mum View Post
sounds wonderful Sue... and WOW, I cannot believe it's been 18 months either, that's really flown in, and I have to say I am so very happy for you. You deserve happiness xxxx
Aw thanks Val - you may be hearing from me quite soon, realistically looking at a booking for 2012 though!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sound like a wonderful trip Sue. Loking forward to reading all about it.
JoJoBell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 10, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List