Notices

Old 18 Nov 10, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post

California - here we come!

So as a complete change for time of year we are off to the USA in February - (we normally head to Florida anytime September to November). We fancied a change having been to WDW 3 years running - and apart from Harry Potter - not much is new. One of our favourite US cities is San Francisco and I have been wanting to visit the new Disney museum that's opened there. So, after a lot of debate our plan is as follows:

6 nights at the Grand Californian, Disneyland - standard room. This may get upgraded to concierge if funds allow. We looked at using DVC points but as the GC - DVC only has 60 rooms they were all booked. We then looked at a direct cash booking with Disney and TBH the prices were astronomical even if they do include park hopper tickets. So I contacted my friend Linda at Dream Come True Vacations. They are based in Florida and they sponsor a Disney podcast and a website over there. The prices she came back with were a good $900 cheaper than what Disney had quoted. And no, we have no qualms about using a US travel agent for accommodation. This company has been going years and so is as safe as any other can be. DL will be used as a base so some day outs will be organised - always fancied San Diego.
For San Francisco we chose the Queen Anne Hotel. We've stayed there previously when we once booked with Virgin Holidays in years past. It's one of the original "Victorian" buildings that survived the 1906 earthquake. It started out as a large house then eventually became a girls school. To this day it is said to be haunted. Tour groups call by once a week on ghost hunting tours.
Flights will be with Air New Zealand from Heathrow to LAX - they have fantastic prices right now so we'll be going business class. (It includes a free internal flight too).

So, one or two other things to organise like car hire etc but the majority of the trip is organised. 90 odd days to go as I write.

Update 26/11/10

We had booked 6 nights at the Grand Californian at Disneyland for late February. Booked it through a travel agent we know in Florida. Had an email this afternoon to say that Disneyland have introduced a "stay 3 nights get the fourth free" so they had applied the offer to our booking. Now we only pay for 5 nights instead of 6. It saves us $520.
Now that's what I call an early Christmas present.

INDEX NOW ONLINE: http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=485326

Edited at 10:08 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 10, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicki G
Imagineer

Nicki G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Sounds amazing I am very jealous I love San Francisco its one of my favourite places. Have an amazing time

Nicki
Nicki G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 10, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Lots of pics and a trippie when you're ready please. Have a fantastic time.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 10, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Very Jealous, we did California last year and loved it, hope you have a great time, dont forget the trippies
Old 18 Nov 10, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leeds Tink
Imagineer

Leeds Tink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 35
Fantastic. Something to look forward to after Christmas.
Old 18 Nov 10, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sounds fantastic... are you driving along the coast to SF or using your free internal flight?
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 10, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sounds good to me!
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 10, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

sounds fab,thats a trippie i will be looking forward to mo x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 10, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post

First of all we'll be saving $900 on the Disney booking. My OH pointed out I'd got it wrong. Well drive up to S F and then use the free internal flight for getting back to LAX. As we drive up Route 1 we plan to call off overnight at a couple of places. Monterey seems a favourite as we love the aquasrium and especially the sea otters. Half Moon Bay is another potential stop over - if you've never been you don't know what you're missing.

Edited at 10:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 10, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Have I signed off your holiday card?!

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List