Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Talking Sevens in Vegas - an Impromptu Trip

Not really sure how this all came about but my trip is just about finalised with 11 days to go

Here's how it all panned out ..

DB works for BA & has 2 staff tickets left that expire shortly. He offered them to DM & DF but they couldn't decide where to go at such short notice. They've been planning a trip to Detroit to visit my other DB but they're currently living in a bed sit above SiL's family Funeral Home business whilst they're house hunting, so that's not an option yet.

At the rugby the week before last DF & I were talking about these tickets going to waste so (joking) I said 'the 7s is on in Vegas next month, I'll go with you'. He jumped at the idea ... unfortunately (for me) DM decided it was a good idea & she fancied a long weekend in Vegas (having spent a couple of days there before) & didn't want to turn down Club Class flights (DB's status entitles him to First but there's no 1st on the LV route ) So my pipe dream disappeared

Some stuff happened at home last week so DB & DF suggested that I might want to book my own flight to get away for a bit. So, before I had time to change my mind - hotline fares were checked & booked at a good price on the same flight as my parents. We were going to book a suite between us but I found a good deal at one of the USA Sevens Partner Hotels on the BA site. DB then managed to get it even cheaper via the staff website so no sofa bed for me - yay!

Flight is not until 3:30pm so I think we're going to drive down in the morning - though I do love to stay over the night before & am currently pricing up some options to 'pitch' .

Purple Parking Meet & Greet is booked (again)

We're flying BA from LHR to LV on Wednesday 9th - parents in Club (hopefully - as the cabin is fairly full) & me in WT

Staying at the Tropicana for 6 nights on the Strip where there are lots of Rugby related events & a shuttle to/from the Stadium. Rooms look nice as it's been refurbished, especially for the price! Pool is closed but apparently it's a bit chilly for swimming in February anyway

I have a mate from our rugby club who is in the Wales 7s squad & he is sorting us out with tickets for the tournament (on the Sat/Sun).

We've had lots of discussions about shows & Grand Canyon trips etc but I've decided that I'm just going to go with the flow out there whilst DM & DF do their own thing.

We're not hiring a car, just planning on using shuttles/cabs etc

We fly home on Tuesday evening so that gives us Thurs/Fri & Mon to explore, eat & drink (I intend to do a lot of cocktail sampling!) when the rugby is not on.

I usually plan for months for Florida so this is a bit of a novelty for me & I might actually finish a trippie for once
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 11, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
A totally different trippie Tracey!

People go to Vegas for many things but I never even thought that rugby 7's would be one of them!

Impromptu trips often pan out to be less stressful so add a few cocktails and this trip will be amazing!

Wish I had a brother who worked for BA!
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 11, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That sounds brilliant! Sometimes an unplanned short notice trip can be the best way to do it - it's exhilarating!

Have a fantastic time.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 11, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Bought my $$s today - ordered from Travelex ($1:56.65) to be picked up at Terminal 5 on Tuesday. can't believe it's only a week away

Who can recommend some nice to try ?

Also would like to know if Giraffe or Wetherspoons is better airside at T5 & if Gordon ramsey's Plane Food is worth splurging on? I never eat the airline food :pop:

This time next week I'll be all checked in
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Edited at 10:57 PM.
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 11, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I've seen a review of Plane Food Tracey, and from memory is was great food but highly priced Definitely different to Weatherspoons!
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 11, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sorry Tracey, no advise on the food or drinks...

Just wanted to say have a blast
Old 2 Feb 11, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I've seen a review of Plane Food Tracey, and from memory is was great food but highly priced Definitely different to Weatherspoons!
I've seen the prices on the website lol. I was thinking more about the 'picnics' they do for the plane. Certainly not cheap but it's almost 11 hours and I really do not like airline food

Old 2 Feb 11, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Sorry Tracey, no advise on the food or drinks...

Just wanted to say have a blast
Thanks Michelle - I think I can safely say that after the past few weeks, a couple of days away will certainly be good for me

Old 2 Feb 11, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlandobelle View Post
I've seen the prices on the website lol. I was thinking more about the 'picnics' they do for the plane. Certainly not cheap but it's almost 11 hours and I really do not like airline food
Compromise? Wetherspoons to fill up pre flight and Picnic to take on? That's my idea of a compromise
Old 3 Feb 11, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post

ooo...you are so lucky. Bet you have a blast.

Hope the rugby goes well to.

Guessing you won't be needing too much help with the cocktails ..just go down the list! Remember what they say..what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Have a fab time & hope you get to relax & unwind.

Can't wait to read the trip report!

Debs
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List