Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Some help please

It's been 2 years since I was on this side of The Dibb! We had a Florida trip planned for October this year but have cancelled, we decided we would have a west cost trip next year instead with a stop for 4 days in New York. I have been to LA and Vegas before but with friends this trip will be with family which includes 2 teens.

There will be 7 of us, me & my daughter, mum & dad, brother & nephew & my uncle.

When I went to LA 4 years ago I stayed in the east Hollywood area, in a hotel called Hollywood Hotel but I can't seem to find it on my search.

Where would you recommend to stay? We will be doing six flags, Universal, Warner Bros's tour, walk of fame etc. Not looking for any where too expensive. We are also doing Disney will it be best to change hotels?

In Vegas we are looking for things to do with the kids. Thinking of staying in the Excalibur, has anyone stayed there? Is it ok for kids?

Thanks for your help.
princessmiya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessmiya View Post
It's been 2 years since I was on this side of The Dibb! We had a Florida trip planned for October this year but have cancelled, we decided we would have a west cost trip next year instead with a stop for 4 days in New York. I have been to LA and Vegas before but with friends this trip will be with family which includes 2 teens.

There will be 7 of us, me & my daughter, mum & dad, brother & nephew & my uncle.

When I went to LA 4 years ago I stayed in the east Hollywood area, in a hotel called Hollywood Hotel but I can't seem to find it on my search.

Where would you recommend to stay? We will be doing six flags, Universal, Warner Bros's tour, walk of fame etc. Not looking for any where too expensive. We are also doing Disney will it be best to change hotels?

In Vegas we are looking for things to do with the kids. Thinking of staying in the Excalibur, has anyone stayed there? Is it ok for kids?

Thanks for your help.
Hi I need to start work in a bit so dont have much time right now to reply fully.

Take a look at my 2 Disneyland / LA threads and I'll get back at lunch time and reply properly.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1173260

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1173389
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1

Thanks for your help.

Hi there stayed Excalibur 2 times as with a lot of hotels there a prize arcade in the hotel all so torment of kings . Inworld all so take a look at circus circus there a pleasure dome in there with rides and things all so if you can take a look at the Nixon museum for something a bit different the mob museum a good place to go there all so the high roller wheel . Happy planing
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Hi I need to start work in a bit so dont have much time right now to reply fully.

Take a look at my 2 Disneyland / LA threads and I'll get back at lunch time and reply properly.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1173260

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1173389

Thank you, I think finding the hotels in LA is going to be the hardest part of the trip planning!
princessmiya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Hi there stayed Excalibur 2 times as with a lot of hotels there a prize arcade in the hotel all so torment of kings . Inworld all so take a look at circus circus there a pleasure dome in there with rides and things all so if you can take a look at the Nixon museum for something a bit different the mob museum a good place to go there all so the high roller wheel . Happy planing

I did the tournament of kings when I was in Vegas 2 years ago it was fun, I have suggested we do this when we go. My dad isn't in to heights so not sure we will end up doing the high roller but I will try and convince him to go up the Eifel Tower as I missed out on doing this last time.

I think the Excalibur will be a good fit, we can get the newer rooms for not very much money. I was looking at the MGM due to the pool but it's just too big and I think I prefer to stay on the other side of the strip as I feel it gets the sun longer haha.
Old 16 Jun 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post

If I’m honest I think Excalibur is quite run down and shabby .
What about NYNY? We always travel with children and haven’t had any issues staying in quite a few of the hotels .
MGM is great but big , cosmopolitan is lovely but quite young and trendy but this time we are trying the Mirage which is great for kids
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
If I’m honest I think Excalibur is quite run down and shabby .
What about NYNY? We always travel with children and haven’t had any issues staying in quite a few of the hotels .
MGM is great but big , cosmopolitan is lovely but quite young and trendy but this time we are trying the Mirage which is great for kids

I stayed at the Mirage two years ago, it's a lovely hotel but I want to try other hotels on the strip. I have heard that the pool at NYNY isn't that good. We would be getting one of the upgraded rooms at Excalibur. We also don't want to spend a lot on hotels as we will be needing 4 of them. We are only there for 4 days as well, if we was going for longer I would probably look else where.
Old 16 Jun 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
princessmiya
Excited about Disney

Looks like we will be staying at Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn for the Disney part of the trip.
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Where would you recommend to stay? We will be doing six flags, Universal, Warner Bros's tour, walk of fame etc. Not looking for any where too expensive.
How are you travelling around? Are you hiring a car?

There are 2 options for you
  1. Stay near to Universal Studios or in Burbank area
  2. Stay in Hollywood Area

Having a car will make life easier but its all still doable on public transport / Uber / Lyft as long as you plan and allow for travel time between point A and pint B

These 3 are in Burbank area
  1. Universal
  2. Warner Bros
  3. 6 Flags

There are 2 hotels beside Universal Studios
  1. Sheridan
  2. Hilton

Many people stay at Lowes Hotel which is just behind Hollywood and Highland Mall.

In Hollywood the main things people do are
  • Stars Homes Tours
  • General Sightseeing Tours
  • Hop On Hop Off Bus

The tours all pick up / drop off on Hollywood Boulevard in the general area of Hollywood and Highland Mall/ Chinese Theatre.

Walk of Fame section at Hollywood and Highland Mall
This is were the following are located
Chinese Theatre
Handprints in cement
Madame Tousards
El Capitain Theatre
Mels Diner
Hard Rock Cafe

To me its usually a half day visit. There is a viewing area / photo op spot for The Hollywood sign on the upper level of Hollywood and Highland outdoor mall / shopping and restaurant area.

I usually stay in budget Motels, which may not be to your taste. I stay in very basic but safe places which are near to the Red Line Underground Metro as I don't drive.

If you want advice and a step by step How To Use Public Transport in LA let me know.

We are also doing Disney will it be best to change hotels?
For Disneyland yes its best to switch locations. Disneyland is located in Anaheim, which is about a 90 minute drive from Hollywood.

The majority of people stay at Good Neighbour hotels and motels. Some of the offiste places have a shorter walk to the park entrance than the onsite hotels.

Go to Google Maps. Harbour Boulevard from Ball Road North to Katella Avenue south, is the ideal place to start. Any of the properties along Harbour are walkable to the parks.

If you stay at any of the motels on Harbour Boulevard you can use the pedestrian entrance to Disneyland.

There are more hotels and motels located along W Katella Avenue, between S Walnut Street and The Santa Ana Freeway. If you stay at any of the hotels and motels along W Katella Avenue you would need some sort of transport to Disneyland, either a rental car, Uber / Lyft / hotel shuttle or ART shuttle.

Some people have a specific hotel chain they like to use. The following chains all have properties either on Harbour Boulevard or W Katella Avenue
Howard Johnsons
Radisson
Motel 6
Wyndham
Hyatt
Best Western
Holiday Inn
Marriott
Westin

The main deciding factors should be
Distance to Disneyland
Hotel amenities

The motels on Harbour Boulevard between W Manchester Avenue and W Katella Avenue have the shortest walking distance to Disneyland BUT they have less amenities, basic food options, basic low quality swimming pools.

The hotels along W Katella Avenue, between S Walnut Street and The Santa Ana Freeway are not walking distance to Disneyland BUT have more amenities, good food options, good pool areas.

I have stayed at
Dessert Inn and Suites
Motel 6 Main Gate
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I stayed at the Mirage two years ago, it's a lovely hotel but I want to try other hotels on the strip. I have heard that the pool at NYNY isn't that good. We would be getting one of the upgraded rooms at Excalibur. We also don't want to spend a lot on hotels as we will be needing 4 of them. We are only there for 4 days as well, if we was going for longer I would probably look else where.
Ah that’s fair enough , we have two rooms booked and it soon adds up!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List