Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Easter or Jul/Aug for west coast

Hi all, planning west coast for 3 weeks next year, I’ve been planning jul/Aug but wondering if I should consider Easter time, can anyone offer any advice on difference in flight/hotel prices, weather, anything really?😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again would definitely stay to summer if you plan Yosemite. This year tioga pass opened 15 th June , last years it was 1st July after they cleared 25 foot snow drift. Earliest opening in the last 20 years was the first week of May
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again would definitely stay to summer if you plan Yosemite. This year tioga pass opened 15 th June , last years it was 1st July after they cleared 25 foot snow drift. Earliest opening in the last 20 years was the first week of May
Hi thanks for reply again, we definitely want to get the best from Yosemite so a good reason to stick to the summer months then😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’re planning next year, and have decided on 2 weeks at Easter. We can go back again and do Yosemite, as we can’t fit it in this time. I was also concerned about the heat in August in Vegas and the Grand Canyon. We tolerate Florida in August but are in and out if AC most of the day.
Old 23 Jun 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again have a quick search for tioga pass images, some great photos of snow ploughing etc
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

The weather is glorious in July/August but probably a lot cheaper at Easter
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We did Easter in 2018 as we were not bothered about Yosemite (which we knew to be marginal on weather. The trip report link is in my signature. The weather was absolutely lovely as we moved from SFO to San Diego then back up to LA to come home. Reasoning for Easter.
1. Price
2. Hoped for smaller crowds as not strictly in season. (That proved true).
3. Had heard that you get smog over LA in the summer.

This March we were due to go again.. SFO-Monterey-Pismo- S l Obispo- fly to Seattle-Renton-Vancouver. We achieved good prices (imho) throughout.

We are now booked for August.. Phoenix-Pima-Tombstone-Hollywood-Pismo-San Simeon- Monterey- SFO. To our great surprise, the prices were pretty much the same as we have encountered on previous Easter trip and attempted trip.

What I do know from research is that whilst you can expect good but not overly hot weather on the West Coast in August, we were very fortunate with the weather we got in the Easter of 2018. Crowds , Smog and stuff? I will hopefully find out in August!
What I do know is that it will be blazing my hot in the Arizona desert.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We did Easter in 2018 as we were not bothered about Yosemite (which we knew to be marginal on weather. The trip report link is in my signature. The weather was absolutely lovely as we moved from SFO to San Diego then back up to LA to come home. Reasoning for Easter.
1. Price
2. Hoped for smaller crowds as not strictly in season. (That proved true).
3. Had heard that you get smog over LA in the summer.

This March we were due to go again.. SFO-Monterey-Pismo- S l Obispo- fly to Seattle-Renton-Vancouver. We achieved good prices (imho) throughout.

We are now booked for August.. Phoenix-Pima-Tombstone-Hollywood-Pismo-San Simeon- Monterey- SFO. To our great surprise, the prices were pretty much the same as we have encountered on previous Easter trip and attempted trip.

What I do know from research is that whilst you can expect good but not overly hot weather on the West Coast in August, we were very fortunate with the weather we got in the Easter of 2018. Crowds , Smog and stuff? I will hopefully find out in August!
What I do know is that it will be blazing my hot in the Arizona desert.
Hi thanks for the reply, I have just read your trip report and it was actually because you went at Easter that I wondered if I should consider it, really enjoyed the report by the way😀
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bazinga 39 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply, I have just read your trip report and it was actually because you went at Easter that I wondered if I should consider it, really enjoyed the report by the way😀
You are very welcome.

The West Coast was absolutely fabulous and as you will have noticed, we missed out on the crown jewel... The PCH between Monterey and Pismo... hence our plans to return!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

I did Yosemite in 2004 in October/November. Tioga Pass road was shut, but you could still do the valley floor, which is outstanding. Was going back in September this year to do Tioga pass, but have postponed to lat May 21. I know it's still sketchy that it will be open, but if not, other routes to get to Reno will be, and the waterfalls should be really good.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List