Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 15 Jul 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Type II Diabetes Meals

My DH has just been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. We know the principles of controlling blood sugar but can any Dibbers share their diabetes friendly meal options and recipes. He's a big meat lover but eats most veg and salads too. Has a sweet tooth that we are working on, but trying to focus on the things he likes that are low or very low sugar.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Stir fry without noodles, just the meat & stir fry veg with some 5 spice etc but not the sauces as they tend to be full of sugar.

Salmon with roasted Mediterranean veg. Using frylight

Make a spag bol from scratch (i like quorn rather than mince) or chilly with cauliflower rice

Chicken, bacon & avocado salad
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Stir fry without noodles, just the meat & stir fry veg with some 5 spice etc but not the sauces as they tend to be full of sugar.

Salmon with roasted Mediterranean veg. Using frylight

Make a spag bol from scratch (i like quorn rather than mince) or chilly with cauliflower rice

Chicken, bacon & avocado salad
Just to add, combating that sweet tooth is so hard! But it can be done so hopefully he can stay positive. Get past 3 days with no sugar and the cravings will vastly reduce.
Good luck x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Probably just proper homecooked food, as my mum says and not ready meals, frozen or prepared. That way you know what's in it.

Also watch any 'low fat' products. These are usually filled with sugar to make them taste nicer.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

He really likes sweet & sour. Does anyone have a low sugar / sugar free recipe. Obviously the jars and takeaways are full of sugar. I don't like it so have never tried homemade but would make him a batch of sauce for the freezer if I got a suitable recipe recommended
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

If your on Facebook check out
Keto beginners with keto Kev
Loads of recipes and advice
Old 16 Jul 20, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My husband was diagnosed 6 months ago. For a treat he will have sugar free jelly with blueberries. Small bowl of homemade popcorn. Strawberries and fresh cream.
He eats a lot of stir frys meat with stir fry veg. Chicken salads. Meat and veg.
It's been v hard but he is determined! He was over weight so weight is coming off now which hopefully will help too. His daily bloods are good back for blood test in a few weeks time so hopefully that will be good too.
Best of luck x
Old 16 Jul 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
My husband was diagnosed 6 months ago. For a treat he will have sugar free jelly with blueberries. Small bowl of homemade popcorn. Strawberries and fresh cream.
He eats a lot of stir frys meat with stir fry veg. Chicken salads. Meat and veg.
It's been v hard but he is determined! He was over weight so weight is coming off now which hopefully will help too. His daily bloods are good back for blood test in a few weeks time so hopefully that will be good too.
Best of luck x
Thank you for sharing your husband's positive story. Mine is feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment and it's good to hear of someone doing well
Old 16 Jul 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I have borderline Diabetes and I am weat intolerant so no sugar no weat but I can make most things just by replacing the ingredients ie normal flour with say rice flour or potato flour sugar with surgar subtitle. I eat meats fish if I like something sweet i will make it myself.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Reading with interest as was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I've been put on mediction but can't stop the sweet cravings, I've been waking in the night either feeling sick or hungry, I just can't get my head around it atm 🤯
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List