Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Mar 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MargaretMouse View Post
Just been told I’m pre diebetes can anyone recommend some cheap and easy menu, I can have ... I love bread and potatoes and told I have to cut down on this, I’m not keen on fish to be honest I’m a traditional pie and mash sort of woman, so any menu or easy dishes that you think I may enjoy.
I’ve just been informed by my surgery that I am no longer pre diabetic! I’m over the moon!
I did keto cut my carbs right down to 20g a day
Good luck In whatever way of eating you choose
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I personally wouldn’t recommend the more extreme diets, Keto, low carb, fast diets etc. Because you either sink or swim on them, there is little middle ground. Great if you are super committed and can swim, but dieting is so hard for most people.
I would recommend calorie counting for your weight loss, getting an app like mfp to give you a calorie goal based on losing 1lb a week, and sedentary exercise, that’s usually quite gentle and not too difficult to achieve. You’ll start to lose some weight, and feel motivated. Nothing worse than feeling like you are failing.
Within that, I’d try to be as by low sugar as you can. Carbs aren’t the devil, but cutting down a bit will help you fit into your calories. Swap white bread for brown etc etc. Eat lots of vegetables, don’t go crackers on the fruit.
And try to build in little bits of movement, every little helps
Whatever you do I don’t recommend SW in this instance (or ever actually) it’s quite high sugar and wouldn’t be ideal at all
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I personally wouldn’t recommend the more extreme diets, Keto, low carb, fast diets etc. Because you either sink or swim on them, there is little middle ground. Great if you are super committed and can swim, but dieting is so hard for most people.
I would recommend calorie counting for your weight loss, getting an app like mfp to give you a calorie goal based on losing 1lb a week, and sedentary exercise, that’s usually quite gentle and not too difficult to achieve. You’ll start to lose some weight, and feel motivated. Nothing worse than feeling like you are failing.
Within that, I’d try to be as by low sugar as you can. Carbs aren’t the devil, but cutting down a bit will help you fit into your calories. Swap white bread for brown etc etc. Eat lots of vegetables, don’t go crackers on the fruit.
And try to build in little bits of movement, every little helps
Whatever you do I don’t recommend SW in this instance (or ever actually) it’s quite high sugar and wouldn’t be ideal at all
Sorry I have to disagree
Like any change in eating it takes a bit of getting used to and people as you say sink or swim
Keto isn’t an extreme diet infact it’s a way of eating healthily, originally for people with epilepsy as it helped reduce seizures
More and more health professionals are advising people to go on low carb
Low carb is the way forward health wise for everyone whether they are overweight or not
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
Low carb is the way forward health wise for everyone whether they are overweight or not
I definitely don’t agree with that part sorry. I do agree it can and does work for some people, but drastically reducing food groups can be extreme, especially to those newer to dieting etc.
I understand you need to adapt, but the key is finding something you can stick to. For many that might not be staying away from potatoes etc indefinitely.
My brother runs marathons, my ex is a triathlete, my husband is an event rider, huge chunks of my friends are group fitness instructors teaching 15 hours a week of classes on top of a day job (this was me too once upon a time) all of these people are healthy, all of these people eat carbs.
All I’m saying is that it may well be the way forward for some, but far from everybody
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Newly diagnosed T2 here as well. I’ve cut out most carbs - where I crave them I try to use whole grains as they digest more slowly and have a lesser effect on sugars. I’ve not gone very low carb but aim for about 70g carbs a day - it has had a good effect on my blood sugars. You might consider getting a monitor - I test my bloods each morning as a fasting blood test. This gives me a good idea of how what I eat has an impact on my blood sugars.
On a typical day I start with either full fat Greek yoghurt or porridge with berries and a banana. I use almond milk in my porridge as it is low in sugar (don’t use ReadyBrek type as it is processed by the body too quickly)
For lunch I have a single slice of rye bread with ham/chicken/cheese or boiled egg and a salad. Treat yourself to a dollop of Mayo!
For dinner often baked fish with salad and brown rice, or steak or an omelette. If you need a snack salted almonds are nice. Be careful with fruit (berries are best).
I’ve lost 1.5 stone in a month and seldom feel hungry.
I’d also suggest an app for tracking your carbs - I use My Fitness Pal.
You can reverse it, but it won’t happen overnight.
Best of luck!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025

Edited at 11:21 PM.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I definitely don’t agree with that part sorry. I do agree it can and does work for some people, but drastically reducing food groups can be extreme, especially to those newer to dieting etc.
I understand you need to adapt, but the key is finding something you can stick to. For many that might not be staying away from potatoes etc indefinitely.
My brother runs marathons, my ex is a triathlete, my husband is an event rider, huge chunks of my friends are group fitness instructors teaching 15 hours a week of classes on top of a day job (this was me too once upon a time) all of these people are healthy, all of these people eat carbs.
All I’m saying is that it may well be the way forward for some, but far from everybody
I’ll have to agree to disagree
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Chronometer is also a good app to use
Old 8 Mar 21, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Mastering Diabetes is a different approach to low carb. They have a Facebook page with lots of success stories of reversal. I’m incorporating bits and pieces of it and slowly building up.
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 21, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

I watched a video by an NHS cardiologist who stated that sugar in the blood stream is so toxic and irritated you blood vessels he said it was like rubbing your skin with sandpaper

After watching that and working that the guy who said saturated fat was bad has been disproven so many times I gave up on carbs and went keto 3 years ago after following the low fat high carb mantra and putting on weight even though I was cycling every day to work, 30 miles, which was about 7000 a year and I was still putting weight on . After a series of events I went keto. I am now in the ideal bmi range and have been since

It has made me so much better now , I look at biscuits and chocolate and stuff like that as toxic and I never touch them

I read there are no essential carbs. One topic I read said that sugar is as bad as alcohol the only difference is that sugar does not metabolise in the brain like alcohol does so you don’t get drunk but the damage is just as bad

Once you are fat adapted you can not eat for days and not give it any thought, plus I still do
My 20 miles of cycling even when I have not eaten for days and there is no problems, all this carbs for energy is all marketing and once I saw through this I realised it’s all about selling stuff
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge

Edited at 07:40 AM.
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

The science is definitely with low carb. It doesn’t have to be extreme - it’s not ‘no carb’. Drs are (slowly) starting to come round to the idea that it’s better than prescribing lots of medicine. There is also a decent amount of research that not all calories are equal.

I am trying to get back on the horse, and it is hard at first, because I’m currently tuned to eating carbs. However I did it a number of years ago and after a few months I no longer craved cakes or chocolate - it was amazing. So, we do have to be mindful that weight loss is each to their own, but I certainly don’t have time for calorie counting as all my food is home cooked. It’s much easier to think - high carb or low carb ?
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List