Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPlanner73
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Seatle to LA

Could I please ask if anyone has done this drive and offer advice (length of time, things to see, places to stay) or direct me to any trip reports.

We are planning to spend 3 weeks Aug 21 but would love some advice from experienced Dibbers.

Thank you.
Old 3 Mar 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

Hi we’ve only done from San Francisco to Los Angeles in February 2020. I’ve done a trip report it’s in the California and west coast trip report forums which might give you an idea of costs, places to stay and distances. Happy planning
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I did Seattle to San Francisco in 2019 so can offer some suggestions for the first part of your trip. In Seattle the Space Needle is a must, and the Chihuly sculpture garden next to it. I enjoyed exploring Pioneer Square and the Gold Rush museum there. Don’t miss Pike Place Market! Unfortunately Boeing factory tours were on hiatus due to issues with the Max Jet. Called in at the Mount St Helens visitor centre on the way to Portland and enjoyed the International Rose Garden at Washington Park, along with a very informative guided tour of the Japanese Garden there. Apart from that I wasn’t too impressed with Portland as it seemed very industrial. Saw the Multnomah Falls along the Columbia Gorge and the volcanic mountains of the Cascades were impressive. One small town which I really liked was Sisters - I would have liked to stay a bit longer there. Stopped at Newport on the coast - can recommend the Elizabeth Inn & Suites. The complimentary salmon chowder in the lobby each day was delicious! Headed south along the coast to Devil’s Churn at Cape Perpetua & Cook’s Chasm and stopped at the Sea Lion centre at Herceta Head (you go down in a lift from the top of the cliffs into a cave at sea level) and took a walk in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Centre. The highlight of the trip for me was Crater Lake National Park, followed by a drive along the Avenue of the Giants in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park before crossing the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco. Would recommend the Humboldt Inn at Eureka to break the journey. Hope that helps!
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I envy you! We did Seattle to San Francisco and there's a full trip report in my signature. Feel free to ask any questions!

We did the central route, rather than the coast road. Seattle - Portland - Columbia River Gorge - Crater Lake - Napa - San Francisco, with stops in between too.

I agree with comments above about Crater Lake - we had a snowstorm in June with huge icicles from our window and it was just magical. We stayed in Crater Lake Lodge - need to book up way in advance.

We loved both Portland and Seattle and hoped to go back last September with Vancouver and Vancouver Island and down the coast from Olympic National Park. Obviously that wasn't to be so we've rebooked it all for 23 August. Fingers crossed.

We've also done San Francisco to LA too, going down the coast and overnighting at Monterey (whale watching) and Santa Barbara. Fabulous drive but check out the roadworks due to the landslide as there will be diversions.

Happy planning and enjoy reading my report!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 06:04 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I'm not sure if there are any trip reports here of the Seattle to SF portion as it's less popular than the SF-LA trip. I think 3 weeks is enough time but certainly not too much time as there is so much to explore you could easily do 3 weeks on either the north or south half of that route alone.

My tip is to explore the Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon which is just gorgeous. Mt Rainier National Park is stunning. The beaches along the coast in Oregon are lovely and dotted with lovely accommodation. Highway 1 north of SF is gorgeous (it's used in Hitchcock films like The Birds if you're familiar) and one of the inland towns like Santa Rosa, Healdsburg or even in further to Napa Valley are well worth visiting.

You could start detouring and coming away from the coasts to visit attractions further inland like Yosemite etc. but there's so much to do if you hug the coast that you would have no problem filling 21 days. I haven't been to Seattle yet, was supposed to visit last year, but we loved Eugene. This trip report is the Pcific Northwest by train but I think it gives a good idea of that little area and the towns there.

flyertalk/forum/trip...um-amtrak.html

There are lots of threads and trip reports for SF-LA here.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=landandword17;14863714]I'm not sure if there are any trip reports here of the Seattle to SF portion as it's less popular than the SF-LA trip. I think 3 weeks is enough time but certainly not too much time as there is so much to explore you could easily do 3 weeks on either the north or south half of that route alone.]

There's my report in my signature above of Seattle to San Francisco!

Interested to read your report! We are intending to go Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver - still have credit from last year!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPlanner73
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Wonderful, thank you all so much. I look forward to reading your trip reports.
Old 10 Mar 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we are watching this with interest as it’s something we are thinking off. On the lower end of your tour have you considered nappy valley, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite . Obviously lots to see San Fran and one of our favourite places is Monterey, especially going whale watching. As keen golfers it’s heaven
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisychick
Excited about Disney

One thought leaps out - if you are planning on going to Alcatraz Island whilst in San Francisco, you definitely need to book tickets in advance.

We went on the Night Tour, when they offer some other tours and experiences not offered during the day.

We did the earlier of the 2 night tours and it was still light when we set off from the pier and got to the Island, so we got to see it in the light on the way there and on arrival and in the dark for most of the time and on the way back. We thought it was the best of both worlds in that respect.

Mind you - you might not have a OH who is obsessed with taking photos of everything both in daylight and at night.
Daisychick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mendicino is a nice little place to stop for lunch. I agree about the Avenue of the Giants - definitely worth the drive and it is amazing standing in the middle of the road trying to take photos (or in my case lying down on the mid-line - not to be reocmmended without someone to watch out for passing traffic). An alternative to see big trees is Redwood National Park which has the highest tree in the world.

The NPS website is useful for any information:-

nps.gov/redw/index.htm

parks.ca.gov/?page_id=425

I do remember one hotel (not Mendocino) we stayed in just for one night had a sign outside the room door - please do not clean/gut your fish in your room facilities are provided externally for this ask at reception! It was also forecast to be a very hot night so when we asked about air-conditioning they suggested "just" opening the windows and leaving the room door open Needless to say we moved on the next day.

Edited at 03:41 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List