Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 6 Mar 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As others have said, you do so much walking when you're out there, which definitely helps! Me and DH always say we're going to run when we're over there but we always find it too hot, even in the morning! We're used to treadmills in air conditioned gyms for running conditions haha!

I would also say that we eat a lot of fish when we're over there which is usually gorgeous, light and healthy.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
As others have said, you do so much walking when you're out there, which definitely helps! Me and DH always say we're going to run when we're over there but we always find it too hot, even in the morning! We're used to treadmills in air conditioned gyms for running conditions haha!

I would also say that we eat a lot of fish when we're over there which is usually gorgeous, light and healthy.
Thanks Tracey, I’m a big fan of fish. Where do you mainly eat?

The running thing is hard. We normally go for EMH and are in the queue by 7:30 on the bus at 7. That means a 5:30 alarm. Fitting in a run as well would be a non starter, plus I like a beer in an evening haha.

I always figure the walking is enough for me, but I would like the options of eating better
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I don’t find it too bad to be honest, am no lightweight but three weeks of stodgy food would be too much.

We tend to self cater and the food is so easy to make healthy, the fresh fruit and veg in the supermarkets like Publix is fabulous. I don’t really have a sweet tooth so deserts don’t often figure. When we go out I have a tendency to ask for a to-go box with my main meal and I put some stuff in it if the portions are too big, as they tend to be. I ask for food grilled and not fried as well.

I took my lead from an American cousin we go and visit and a lot of the things they ask for I would never have thought to but generally the wait staff don’t care or bat an eyelid.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Swimming in the pool as long as you dont kick off the sides you can do a good half hour swim.
A walk around the community - lots of locals do this so its a good way to meet people
Use the gym that is normally quiet
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We stay in a villa, we eat in probably every other day, maybe a pizza or a cooked chicken ... but with a big box of mixed salad, or some corn on the cob, tomatoes and peppers (one tray in the oven ... not exactly "cooking") and a box of prepped fresh fruit after.

Wed have cereal with fresh fruit for breakfast,( maybe a cinnabon if at universal) and a couple of fast food things for lunch between the 4 of us.
pulled pork on a salad from the fairfax shack in HS for instance, along with a half chicken and fries or 2x chicken tenders, fries and a caesar salad to share... then something healthier at dinner.

We lose weight because of the walking and making choices that are not always burger and fries.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JaguarSkills View Post
Thanks Tracey, I’m a big fan of fish. Where do you mainly eat?

The running thing is hard. We normally go for EMH and are in the queue by 7:30 on the bus at 7. That means a 5:30 alarm. Fitting in a run as well would be a non starter, plus I like a beer in an evening haha.

I always figure the walking is enough for me, but I would like the options of eating better
We stay on site so get the dining plan. The fish is fantastic at Flying Fish, The Boathouse and Narcoossee’s. Bahama Breeze is a good off site option for fish as well. That said, I’d probably recommend the one at LBV as the service at the one on I-Drive has been poor the last two times we’ve been. For QS, Columbia Harbour House is good for fish in the MK.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

My SIL is Canadian and when her family first came here they ate the full English in the hotel, pub lunches, take aways/restaurants at night. Bakeries. Booze. They also said no wonder we're all obese and our food is way too calorific! So I don't think it's necessarily 'American food' it's more that as a tourist it's easy to eat in chain restaurants every day and have lots of high calorie foods. The average American no more eats at Dennys and Cheesecake Factory every day than the average Brit has a fried breakfast, a pub lunch and fish supper with cakes, beer, sweets and icecream in between.

I run around the resort in WDW, elsewhere in the US I usually have a gym and we don't eat the beige stuff for every meal. Tbh we've never found it that hard to eat a variety of foods at Disney. We've had salmon, sushi, roast chicken, salads, berries etc all delicious. We're eaten off-site a bit but usually we try to find mom and pop type places. I'm not a big fan of the chains in general but I have noticed that most of them either display calories or have a page of the menu for 'healthy' dishes.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
doodles
Getting Excited

I always try to have a salad when we go to BJs so I can drink 6 or 7 pints and not feel guilty.
doodles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
24Toffee
Getting to know the DIBB

If you have a car then I recommend the parkrun at Clermont every Saturday. 7.30am start so takes place before it heats up. It's a fantastic run along the lake edge with a flat course to try to and set a PB.

You can fit 2 runs into a normal 2 week holiday and I'm normally back at the villa before the wife is even out of bed

FYI lots of free parking, toilets and free chilled water on site.
24Toffee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by doodles View Post
I always try to have a salad when we go to BJs so I can drink 6 or 7 pints and not feel guilty.
Will literally be me 🤣
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List