Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Mar 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Tours and Multi Centre Trips Pre-Internet

I commented on a post yesterday about planning for a holiday before the internet and it brought back memories of how comparatively difficult it was before we could use the internet.

We had a couple of memorable USA holidays which we planned ourselves which involved multiple flights and hotels. One based around New York/Boston/Niagra/New England and another involving touring round the West Coast. We did both with young children. One with a 2 and 6 year old and another with a 9, 5 and 1 year old! When I look back now I wonder how we managed it. Not everything went smoothly. It was difficult to confirm plans in the way we can now.

We definitely had an amazing time, despite some plans not going as expected and making changes ‘on the hoof’. One memorable moment was trying to find a telephone kiosk in Death Valley to source a hotel for the night as everywhere was booked up and finally getting last room in a small hotel 100 miles away (no mobile phones!).

I’d be fascinated to hear how others managed and what your best pre-internet trips were.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Our fist trip to Florida was a travel agent’s package to Miami for 10 nights. So flight, car and hotel. We went with a 6 and 4 years old. We had spoken to friends who had been to Miami and Orlando who said travel was doable but to stay over night in Orlando.
So we decided to have a 2 night stay, so travelled up via Kennedy space centre. As we got near we decided to call for petrol. An American guy asked if we were up to see the launch. We said oh is there a launch. He explained that you needed a pass to help on property, and kindly gave us one. So we basically had front row seats for a shuttle launch.
So we sat about with our car with a view over the lake of the shuttle, there were speakers letting us know what was happening, all the locals had cool boxes and gazebos. We had a bottle of warm cola. No places to buy anything. Luckily we had stopped for breakfast.
Unfortunately as the countdown started it stopped at about 30 seconds as there was a problem so no launch.
We then had to wait until we were able to move and eventually made it to the tourist area and could get lunch and walk about the rocket garden and the museum’s, very low key compared to now, plus it was free.
We then headed to Orlando.To find a hotel took us hours due to traffic. We then had to find a hotel. Most were full, we still mehow got to Lake Buena vista area and booked a brand new one for $80 per night, we had been told that we should have got one for $20. ( it was the weekend of MGM opening)
Next morning we headed for MK and the next day after a detour to MK for dumbo ride as too busy the day before, we went to Epcot , we left at about 7pm and grove back to Miami.
We were shattered but had loved it. Went back 2 years later for 3 weeks booked with Thomas cook.
So although we had no clue what to expect we had a brilliant time, almost saw a launch and were in Orlando at a very weekend.
We did manage to see a launch in 2009, our kids who came with us were 24 and 26 and brought their partners, it was very emotional for us.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by llamala View Post
Our fist trip to Florida was a travel agent’s package to Miami for 10 nights. So flight, car and hotel. We went with a 6 and 4 years old. We had spoken to friends who had been to Miami and Orlando who said travel was doable but to stay over night in Orlando.
So we decided to have a 2 night stay, so travelled up via Kennedy space centre. As we got near we decided to call for petrol. An American guy asked if we were up to see the launch. We said oh is there a launch. He explained that you needed a pass to help on property, and kindly gave us one. So we basically had front row seats for a shuttle launch.
So we sat about with our car with a view over the lake of the shuttle, there were speakers letting us know what was happening, all the locals had cool boxes and gazebos. We had a bottle of warm cola. No places to buy anything. Luckily we had stopped for breakfast.
Unfortunately as the countdown started it stopped at about 30 seconds as there was a problem so no launch.
We then had to wait until we were able to move and eventually made it to the tourist area and could get lunch and walk about the rocket garden and the museum’s, very low key compared to now, plus it was free.
We then headed to Orlando.To find a hotel took us hours due to traffic. We then had to find a hotel. Most were full, we still mehow got to Lake Buena vista area and booked a brand new one for $80 per night, we had been told that we should have got one for $20. ( it was the weekend of MGM opening)
Next morning we headed for MK and the next day after a detour to MK for dumbo ride as too busy the day before, we went to Epcot , we left at about 7pm and grove back to Miami.
We were shattered but had loved it. Went back 2 years later for 3 weeks booked with Thomas cook.
So although we had no clue what to expect we had a brilliant time, almost saw a launch and were in Orlando at a very weekend.
We did manage to see a launch in 2009, our kids who came with us were 24 and 26 and brought their partners, it was very emotional for us.
That sounds great. Being spontaneous was all part of the fun as you couldn’t plan to the degree we do now.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Now exDH and I went for our honeymoon in 1994.

His parents bought us a "cheap" Virgin Package - £399 each - but flying into Miami and a hotel in Orlando.

We had virtually no spending money!

So we got married on the saturday, went home at midnight, the taxi picked us up at 6am and took us to Gatwick.

I was the lead driver as i was over 25 and had never driven abroad before! And it was my first time ever on a plane!

No map, no sat nav actually no clue at all

Luckily we met an older British couple in the car hire place who said we could "follow" them as they were also going up to Orlando.

So after a weeks build up to the wedding, on less than 5 hours sleep, 9 hour flight and a 4 hour drive to Orlando we then spent another 2 hours trying to find the RIGHT Quality Inn - how did I know that there were 3 of them

Anyway apart from nearly getting divorced that first night - we ended up in some parking lot somewhere and saw headlights coming towards us - I just drove out of there in any direction - we had a great trip and even managed a day out to the gulf coast.

The drive back to Miami was interesting - 8 lanes - which one to pick - all the time on fumes and we turned the aircon off as we had to return the car empty!

Sometimes i still wonder how we made it to Orlando
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

DH & I did our west coast trip in November 2000. We’d bought our very 1st home computer, and although we did have a temperamental dial-up internet, we were only able to book some of the hotel rooms before departing, others we booked on the go. We’d booked a room near the airport for our very 1st night as it was such a long flight to L.A. (with Virgin). The travel day proved to be testing once we arrived. After getting the hire car, DH asked the clerk on the desk directions to the airport hotel. He told us that we’d be able to see it across the highway as soon as we left the airport, but warned us there were major roadworks (he wasn’t exaggerating and we had no Satnav or phones back then). The clerk talked DH through a long, complicated route. We got lost several times, and ended back at the airport. Finally we found the hotel (by the time we’d found it we’d been driving for 2.5 hrs!). We handed over our paperwork to the receptionist on the desk who proceeded to tell us that we didn’t have a booking (despite clearly having paperwork to prove we did!). I could feel DH getting very wound up & we were both shattered. DH managed to remain calm and asked to speak to a duty manager, who took one look at paperwork and handed room key straight over! Still no idea why the previous clerk thought we didn’t have a booking! I was starting to stress about the other booked elements of the trip at this point. Fortunately the rest of the trip went really smoothly and we had fantastic time!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

My very 1st trip to Florida was in 1988 (definitely pre internet) with my best friend Karen. We booked a package through Lunn Poly, neither of us drove so asked for a hotel with Shuttle Bus. We stayed at Travelodge Maingate East. We were both 18, and looking back, I didn’t know where the hotel was (distance-wise or geographically) in relation to any of the parks. I hadn’t considered even if it was near any restaurants (just correctly assumed it was lol). I was ignorant of so much! In fact, on the flight over, an older couple sat near us (I say older, they were probably the age I am now, 49!) talked to us about which trips were worthwhile (Busch Gardens & KSC). They happened to be staying at the same hotel as us and even lent us one of their Camcorders to take in the park! They also accompanied us to get our park tickets (to make sure we got ‘hopper’ ones and didn’t get ripped off!). They even taught me how to use a traveller ms cheque as I was a bit dubious and had never had to ‘spend’ one on my own before, so they came to Denny’s with us on our first morning! Obviously me & friend we were young back then and every day got up early, onto the earliest bus possible to WDW and had breakfast once there. Once or twice we had a McD’s breakfast as it was right next to hotel, then into bus. We usually got the last bus back - I had stamina back in those days! It’s funny to think how naive I was back in the day. A fantastic holiday though and I felt so grown up after realising I’d made it half way round the world without Mum & Dad! I’ve had the Disney bug ever since!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DH and I toured Europe on a motorbike in 1989. All the research was done in Liverpool Central Library - mostly the impressive circular international room. We bought lots of maps and planned the route on paper. It was a great adventure lasting 6 weeks and covering 12 countries (though we only spent about 2 hours in Switzerland as we arrived on aSunday afternoon and it was closed!)

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Our very first multi destination trip was with teletext we had an amazing time=
And used them for=our first ever Us trip parks and beach they were great changed our second thir£ week3 resorts beach side to 3 full weeks at the parks and we were hooked and still are
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I back packed around the US in 95. So internet existed but was v new and in any case I never used it ahead or during the trip. It was 90 days, 27 destinations, nearly all by greyhound. Of course without having used the internet, you knew no different and just got on with it. I remember booking the first 3 hostels before heading out, then the rest I did as I went along booking each one a couple of days in advance, sometimes changing the route depending on what was available. A key piece of help for this was a well thumbed Let’s Go book which was really the backpackers bible. Listed all hostels, their phone numbers and basic directions on how to get there from the greyhound bus stop. One thing that perhaps made things easier is that a city wouldn’t ever have more than 3 hostels so the lack of choice made it easier to get on with booking although as above it also sometimes led to a change in plans en route. All bookings by internet. The other thing I remember, less about the internet, was that greyhound bust stops are often in the more dodgy part of a town/city and you’d need to walk from there to the hostel which could be a mile or so, carrying your large backpack. I often did an overnighter on the bus as a way to be able to pass the long journey time by being asleep and save on a nights accommodation. It often meant you arrived on the early hours so would have to wait around in the bus station for it to get light enough to feel safe walking.

One other thing that shows how you just gone on with it was when I did a ‘driveaway’ to get from Chicago to Denver. If you’ve not heard of it, it’s a service that exists for Americans who need a car moving between far away cities eg if they’re relocating and have an extra car to move. They pay the agent a fee and leave the car with them. As a traveller, you have the car for free, subject to staying within a mileage and time allowance and delivering it at the other end. For me this was Chicago to Denver. We slept in the car overnight and I remember it taking a couple of calls at the other end to meet up with the owner but no major drama.

WDW-wise, first trip was 83 so well before internet. I was only 10 so booking was down to Dad. I don’t recall this being a major issue but I often contrast my first trip to how I assume a first trip might be if it was post internet. So, in our case, it meant having no idea what to expect other than that it was a place with lots of rides, it was going to be great and there was a new place there called the Epcot Centre. This knowledge was based on what I heard in the playground from a friend who’s been there. That was about all I had to go on!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
First big trips were to Australia (via LA) and Thailand in the early 90’s, no internet so heavily thumbed lonely planet guides and calls plus actual visits to Trailfinders in London to book multiple tickets.

I bought the Florida Lonely planet for our first Florida trip early 2000s - hadn’t discovered the Dibb or other Disney Forums. The guide was great for our Gulf coast trip but not much use for the parks. Bought a Virgin package from our local travel agent and they came free Universal tickets otherwise we wouldn’t have considered Universal. Remember getting there in the morning, getting a map, buying coffee and sitting there planning our day!
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List