Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Mar 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Diabetes

Just been told I’m pre diebetes can anyone recommend some cheap and easy menu, I can have ... I love bread and potatoes and told I have to cut down on this, I’m not keen on fish to be honest I’m a traditional pie and mash sort of woman, so any menu or easy dishes that you think I may enjoy.
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Look up Michael moseley 8 week blood sugar diet.

You can reverse it in 8 weeks, but its tough. No sugar, bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. Plenty of recipes in his book.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cismwynn
Very Serious Dibber

I have been (mostly) following the 8 week blood sugar diet and I have lost over 10 stone in the last 10 months.
POFQ - Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014, / OKW - Aug 2012 / Beach Club - Oct 2015, Jul 2017 / Dibb Villa - Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Dec 2009, Dec 2010, Oct 2011, Jul 2013, Jul 2014, Dec 2014, Jul 2015, Aug 2017
cismwynn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by cismwynn View Post
I have been (mostly) following the 8 week blood sugar diet and I have lost over 10 stone in the last 10 months.
Well done! Thats amazing!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cismwynn View Post
Wow, that’s amazing!
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My sister developed gestational diabetes and it continued into type 2.
She followed a low sugar & low calorie diet and lost 5 stone. Her diabetes is now in remission and has been for quite a few years now 👍🏻👍🏻
Dieting is hard but you have motivation now so I am sure you will succeed 👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

A bit of advice from a personal point of view , it’s good to get that motivation when you are told you are pre diabetic.
I wished I had listened instead I buried my head in the sand and constantly told myself I would be ok .
Three years down the line I am now type 2 and been on metformin and the ozempic weekly injection and I am really struggling, feel exhausted all the time, nauseated and my stomach is tender and bloated and now have a diabetic nurse .
I had a pharmacy call today as they do a check up in my area for those starting ozempic they advised to go low carb which I am going to do .
Just to say it’s seems like you are in the right path , don’t be like me kicking myself for not acting when I should have !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Can I ask, are you also overweight? Not trying to be rude (as I am overweight) but makes a difference to recommendations.
If just high sugars reduce sugar as much as possible, obvious sugars, sugar in tea/coffee etc, but also the obvious sweet foods. But also processed foods, sauces, condiments, most diet foods like low fat yoghurts, fruit juices etc, but also avoid fake sugars like sweeteners, Diet Coke, sugar free squash etc
If overweight too then my Dad was recommended the 5/2 diet by his doctors. He lost some weight and completely reversed the pre-diabetic diagnosis. I have low blood sugars as I don’t have a sweet tooth at all, but I calorie count and it does really work
Old 6 Mar 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Hi yes I am overweight I’m a big foodie, don’t drink or smoke and tbh my pleasure apart from Disneyworld and my family, is my comfort food. I’m going to really struggle and I’ve told myself from Monday, I will do my best. There a list of what you can’t eat, but what can I eat... any nice recipies... I’m not a veg or fruit lover but I will try.
Old 6 Mar 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

My dh was tested positive for type 2 diabetes last November. His blood sugar was off the scale! It was a surprise as he wasn't massively overweight or anything although he was symptomatic in other ways.

I did a bit of research and found that cutting out carbs can directly affect blood sugar levels.

There is a thing called the Keto diet, where those following it strictly cut down carbs to a maximum of 20g per day. Though you can have more if you're less strict.

So we literally changed our diet overnight. We've both lost about 3 stone between us (maybe we were carrying a bit of excess weight) and last month dh went for his regular blood test and they said it's gone into remission and he has been able to reduce the tablets. They recommend waiting until the next test to come off completely.

There is a keto social page here on the dibb that I started.

Food wise we no longer eat bread, rice or pasta. Plus various fruits and veg to be avoided.

Instead we eat only freshly made food lots of meat, fish, veg, eggs.

There is a bread you can make that's low carb tho I've not tried it yet.

Also cauliflower rice is a great substitute for real rice and courgetti (spiralised courgettes) instead of pasta.

We feel better and we eat better
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List