Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 3 Feb 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

RunDisney Jan 2021 WDW

I have decided (my DH disagrees) that I would like to get fit and run the rundisney 5k.

I would like to know how easy is it to apply and what would the chance of getting a place on the 5K if you are a novice?

Can you part walk / run the 5K course?

Should I book hotel etc before I know I have a place - are there any discounts for runners to stay on site?

I will have an annual pass so wont need a park ticket for the week.

Also does anyone know which day the 5K is run (event 6-10 Jan 2021).

Any advice would be helpful.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

We did the Princess 5k last year. Places go pretty quickly so you need to be online when they open (rather like doing adrs and fast passes lol)
When you register you're asked a couple of questions about your ability. On the day the runners are placed in various corrals, with the proper runners setting off first. By the time our wave set off the first runners had already finished lol. There's absolutely no requirement to run. We shuffled our way round in just under an hour. Loads and loads of people just walk round. There are photo stops etc en route, so no one is expecting you to turn in an Olympic performance. We're absolutely not runners but we had a great time.
I'm not aware of discounts for participants but we're DVC owners, so wasn't really something I was looking for.
Have a look on the RunDisney page for more race-specific information.
Check whether having an annual pass gives you any advantage. As DVC members we were able to register slightly ahead of the general public.

Edited at 10:39 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lotso2015
Excited about Disney

I did the Dopey challenge this year and booked my hotel and run separately. I don’t know of any discounts for staying on site.
The run goes on sale on April 7th. The 5K normally sells out pretty quickly so it’s best to get them as soon as they go on sale.
This year there is a company called run to the magic who are already selling hotel and race packages. You do not need to buy tickets with them. I have used them before for the Paris runs and they were very helpful.
The 5K is always the Thursday so would be 7th January. You would need to pick up your race bib and T-shirt at the expo on the Wednesday (6th).
The 5K race this year started at 5.30am and there are buses that go from the hotels to the races. For the 5K this year these started at 3.30am and you had to be on the bus by 4.
They are extremely walker friendly and great fun. Think there were 4 characters on the route and 3 before and after the run.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Lotso2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dual_dragons
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

The 5k marathon weekend sells out quickly. They have about 12,000 spots (i think) but 8,000 are taken up by Dopey challengers, so very limited compared to other weekends where the 5k is not part of a challenge.

Just be ready at 5pm on registration day.

You can walk the whole thing if you wish.
The 5k will be on the 7th (Thursday), but you have to collect your bib and top at the expo the day before.

No specific discounts for run weekend that i have ever seen.
dual_dragons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

I have booked a package that includes my registration

Does anyone know what the weather will be like ?
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband did the dopey challenge a couple of years ago. The weather was incredibly cold at the start (you have to leave your resort by 4am). The half marathon was cancelled due to lightning so it’s hard to say what it will be like. Remember you will need to be there on the Wednesday to go to the expo to collect your race entry package. I’m doing the Star Wars 5k in April. My first ever run. Good luck!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

That's brilliant! You will have such a lovely time. It is a great race to do - lots of people watching and seeing the family costumes. If you need encouragement, come on here and say.

As for the weather... I've participated in the weekend twice, once was lovely 20C and the other didn't get above 5C. There is no reliable long term prediction, so your best bet is to keep checking the forecast before you go and take lots of layers. We were there at the end of Jan this year and had 25C one day and 4C the next!

The 5k is a very family friendly race and great fun. I would suggest that you look into doing some type of race/run before going, just so that the crowds and what you need to do isn't a surprise when you get there (trying to go to the loo in a portaloo in costume takes a bit of practice). Above all, enjoy.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
you can walk it as long as you stay in front of the balloon ladies lol get behind them and your out
I did the darkside weekend in 2017 5k 10k 1/2 marathon was an amazing experiance but completely messed my feet up for the rest of ym trip
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Thanks for all the advice

If anyone has anymore advice let me know.