Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 08, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mickey Head Christmas Decoration

As promised on the chat & news forum, I am posting the details of my 'Mickey Head Christmas Decoration' that I made on Sunday.

You Will Need

3 wire coat hangers
2 pieces of tinsel
Baubles and/or lights of your choice to decorate

Tools Used
Electrical insulation tape (Duct tape would be stronger)
Wire cutters
Duct tape
Double sided sticky tape
Scissors

Instructions
Firstly I (Iain-you may need a strong man!) started by cutting the hanger part off the coat hangers, then shaping 2 into semi circles and taping together to make a full circle with electrical tape. Then I cut the third piece of wire in half and shaped 2 ears out of them and stuck these onto the circle using electrical tape again. I used a lot of tape to make it sturdy, a soldering iron would have been better but I don't have one. It doesnt matter if there are bumps or kinks as the tinsel will hide them.

Next I used double sided sticky tape around all of the head and ears and twisted tinsel tightly around the wire making sure that it was close and no wire was showing. I added the tape bit by bit as I was going along so that I didnt stick myself to the head!

Next I twisted the star lights over the tinsel starting at the bottom and making my way up and around the head, so that the wire would hang from the bottom and not the top. I took care to space evenly around the head. I used 2 cable ties at the bottom to hold the lights in place, no more were needed.

Next I tied my choice of decorations to the head, a shiny blue Christmas Tree at the top in the middle, 2 stars either side of the tree and a third star at the bottom. I also used 4 Mickey mobile phone toppers that I purchased a while ago from The Disney Store, on sale at 75p each! Bargain!

Next I added a loop of string to the top of the head to hang up with... and hey presto it is ready to be hung on the wall!

The most time consuming part was the taping, the rest of it was pretty quick.

See photos below.

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

Edited at 10:54 PM.
tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Oh I like the sound of this, I might just try it myself

p.s. you can never find a soldering iron just when you need one eh?
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
More photos

April 1999 - Rodeway Inn Sept 2002 - Chatham Park Villa Sept 2004 - Quality Inn Plaza Nov 2005 - Crowne Plaza Universal Nov 2006 - I Drive Inn Sept 2007 - Homewood Suites Jan 2007 - DLP & Paris
Oct 2009 - Road Trip (Groveland, Yosemite, Vegas, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Kingman, Palm Springs, Buena Park, Valencia, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco)

Edited at 10:54 PM.
tracyh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Originally Posted by marionmcclung View Post
Oh I like the sound of this, I might just try it myself

p.s. you can never find a soldering iron just when you need one eh?
Yes I know Marion...what's a girl to do hey!

Old 1 Dec 08, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by tracyh View Post
Yes I know Marion...what's a girl to do hey!
At least we know how to compromise and use alternatives Love the finished result BTW. I'm definetely going to give this a try, i'll post my pictures when i've done it. I'll have to buy or borrow some wire coathangers though, our's are all plastic ones
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 08, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tracyh
Imagineer

tracyh's Reviews
Originally Posted by marionmcclung View Post
At least we know how to compromise and use alternatives Love the finished result BTW. I'm definetely going to give this a try, i'll post my pictures when i've done it. I'll have to buy or borrow some wire coathangers though, our's are all plastic ones
Yes I had the same problem, but luckily my colleague at work had lots...one of Johnsons the cleaners best customers!

Hope you do make one, can't wait to see pics of other peoples.

Old 1 Dec 08, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow! It's brilliant. Might have to have a go at this, thanks for posting.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 08, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Susan Coleman
Imagineer

Susan Coleman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Think they look great,a dn am going to try to male one , and then take it out to the villa to leave there for others to enjoy come Xmas
love the little extras, asin Xmas tree to hang from top
Great stuff!
Relax with drinks on the south facing pool terrace...
All day sun..fabulous lake view...beautiful sunsets...
Disney magic in professionally themed Mickey's room!

http://www.disneyvillaaurora.com
New pool mosaics and lights!
Susan Coleman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 08, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread