Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 24 Feb 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
I really appreciate everyone's tips! Hadn't actually considered the card factor yet but I'm very cautious about my cards out there so will make sure we just use cash if the get there.
I'm not to fussed if it's just tat I just want to be as safe as possible, i think she has a romantic notion of buying old 501's and dungarees little chnve I'm sure but I'm sure she'll still be happy she's been in one.
She won't find anything like that in the local flea markets. They are full of tourist tat mainly and definitely only new items. She might be better off in one of the giant thrift stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army. They are like UK charity shops and can have some good stuff.
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, there is a really big thrift shop on the 192, can't remember the stop though, think it was about mile marker 13. It is on the left hand side as you go towards Kissimmee. It had loads of clothes and bric a brac really cheap. We got some Disney pins for $2 each, It has a big hoarding outside advertising it. Well worth a look.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Yes this is the kind of thing! Bit nerve racking for a worrier like me...
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Tretinker View Post
Yes this is the kind of thing! Bit nerve racking for a worrier like me...
There is worrying about things and then there is worrying. Are you sure you're ready to leave the Disney bubble? Most of Florida is perfectly safe as long as you exercise the same carefulness as you would here in the UK.

Old 26 Feb 20, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
Hi, there is a really big thrift shop on the 192, can't remember the stop though, think it was about mile marker 13. It is on the left hand side as you go towards Kissimmee. It had loads of clothes and bric a brac really cheap. We got some Disney pins for $2 each, It has a big hoarding outside advertising it. Well worth a look.
That one is called Hope Thrift. It is just east of Old Town. Excellent for authentic Disney pins but not much else IMO. Much of the stuff should have been thrown out to be honest. Half empty tin of paint anyone? They did have the old wooden TV units from Animal Kingdom Lodge with the TVs still in them recently at only $49.99. Not sure who would want one on their house.

The Salvation Army and Goodwill stores closer to downtown Kissimmee have some decent clothes and the stores aren't so grubby.

OP, I drive around the Orlando area by myself or with my disabled daughter all the time. You have nothing to worry about. Make sure you have data on your phone if you are worried about getting lost.
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
There is worrying about things and then there is worrying. Are you sure you're ready to leave the Disney bubble? Most of Florida is perfectly safe as long as you exercise the same carefulness as you would here in the UK.

Oh it's not just florida I worry about! It's more about the unknown anywhere, if I don't know it I worry. We have only stayed onsite twice, and I feel the disney bubble comment is meant as something derogatory but I apologise if I'm being sensitive, you'll be amazed at how many comments/judgements I get about my choices when they don't affect those people yes I get anxious about doing new things but doesn't stop me trying usually.
I enjoy the disney bubble but we like to explore each visit just a little granted but I like to do the research before and from what I'd managed to glean from the internet most of the places I'd found were dingy holes in the middle of nowhere or in built up but rundown areas. Having had a number of incidents while in Orlando I like to try and get the advice of others that have been before me and may be able to guide me in the direction of a suitable place for us to visit.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
That one is called Hope Thrift. It is just east of Old Town. Excellent for authentic Disney pins but not much else IMO. Much of the stuff should have been thrown out to be honest. Half empty tin of paint anyone? They did have the old wooden TV units from Animal Kingdom Lodge with the TVs still in them recently at only $49.99. Not sure who would want one on their house.

The Salvation Army and Goodwill stores closer to downtown Kissimmee have some decent clothes and the stores aren't so grubby.

OP, I drive around the Orlando area by myself or with my disabled daughter all the time. You have nothing to worry about. Make sure you have data on your phone if you are worried about getting lost.
Thats really kind thank you and hilarious, half tons of paint

We always drive, we do explore but I do get anxious, the more prepared I am the less consuming it is.
Old 6 Mar 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BethFL
New Poster (2)

Wildwood Antique Mall of Lakeland
The International Market World Flea Market, W Auburndale,
BethFL is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mulv2222
Very Serious Dibber

My son is after the same kind of thing. Googling has found me a couple of retro and vintage clothes shops in Winter Park.
mulv2222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

OP, if your daughter is interested in second hand brand names clothing I found the perfect place for teenagers today. Plato's Closet is a chain aimed at teenagers with 2nd hand very good quality clothing and shoes. it isn't vintage but much better than the thrift stores for most teens. They stock only name brands, some with original tags. My daughter found an American Eagle dress with a a $44 tag for $14. She also found a brand new PINK sweatshirt for $14 and loads of other stuff in great condition.

The one we went to is at the Loop in Kissimmee which is full of good shops and an area that feels perfectly safe.