Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 21 Jan 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m afraid I can’t watch it anymore, not since it turned into Dr Woke. I miss those classic days of Baker and Pertwee and when the Daleks couldn’t negotiate stairs or the Cybermen terrified me!
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Poorly acted poorly written and I can't stand Jodie Whittaker as the Dr.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I’m afraid I can’t watch it anymore, not since it turned into Dr Woke. I miss those classic days of Baker and Pertwee and when the Daleks couldn’t negotiate stairs or the Cybermen terrified me!
It's been a looong time since the days of Pertwee and Baker (I assume Tom, not Colin?). And a long time (over 30 years) since the Daleks could negotiate stairs.

Did you not enjoy the earlier NuWho stuff with Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, etc?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's been a looong time since the days of Pertwee and Baker (I assume Tom, not Colin?). And a long time (over 30 years) since the Daleks could negotiate stairs.

Did you not enjoy the earlier NuWho stuff with Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, etc?
Oh I tried ... eccleston did a valiant job and Tennant too ... but then it’s morphed into Dr Woke and the messaging and signalling has gone too awry for me
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

The Bad Wolf stuff was brilliantly written, after Russell T Davies moved on things went down hill.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Oh I tried ... eccleston did a valiant job and Tennant too ... but then it’s morphed into Dr Woke and the messaging and signalling has gone too awry for me
I can't say I noticed "Dr Woke" during Matt Smith's run?
People complained that they didn't like Moffat's writing and couldn't understand some of his stories, but I don't remember there being a big "woke" backlash during that time? That only seems to have happened in the last couple of years since Chibnall became showrunner.

Originally Posted by boltyboy View Post
The Bad Wolf stuff was brilliantly written, after Russell T Davies moved on things went down hill.
Bad Wolf was the first series of NuWho. RTD stayed on for another 3 years after that.

I enjoyed a lot of Moffat's era - specifically Matt Smith's stuff. I loved Moffat's style of writing and it's cleverness and felt he was better than RTD (although I enjoyed RTD's stuff too).

Capaldi never really clicked with me though. Although I still definitely prefer his episodes compared to Whittaker's episodes.

Interestingly, the average viewing figures for Jodie Whittaker's last series in 2018 were as high as for Chris Eccleston's run back in 2005. And they were higher than the first two series with David Tennant as the Doctor. So, it would seem, Doctor Who is still popular - even if it seems the opposite if you purely look at online comments (always a bad idea ).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:36 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I can't say I noticed "Dr Woke" during Matt Smith's run?
People complained that they didn't like Moffat's writing and couldn't understand some of his stories, but I don't remember there being a big "woke" backlash during that time? That only seems to have happened in the last couple of years since Chibnall became showrunner.

Bad Wolf was the first series of NuWho. RTD stayed on for another 3 years after that.

I enjoyed a lot of Moffat's era - specifically Matt Smith's stuff. I loved Moffat's style of writing and it's cleverness and felt he was better than RTD (although I enjoyed RTD's stuff too).

Capaldi never really clicked with me though. Although I still definitely prefer his episodes compared to Whittaker's episodes.

Interestingly, the average viewing figures for Jodie Whittaker's last series in 2018 were as high as for Chris Eccleston's run back in 2005. And they were higher than the first two series with David Tennant as the Doctor. So, it would seem, Doctor Who is still popular - even if it seems the opposite if you purely look at online comments (always a bad idea ).
Yes you are quite correct - Dr Woke appeared with latest incumbent.
Old 21 Jan 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes you are quite correct - Dr Woke appeared with latest incumbent.
Ah ok.

(It's just there was 10 years and two Doctors between the end of Tennant's "valiant job" and the "latest incumbent" )

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 21 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Ah ok.

(It's just there was 10 years and two Doctors between the end of Tennant's "valiant job" and the "latest incumbent" )
Which clearly demonstrates my loss of attention. I’m grateful for the detail you provide Nimbus. Can you tell me in hours and minutes how much “running time” I actually missed? 😃
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

I watched the first 3 episodes and then had to turn off a quarter of the way through episode 4, it was so boring!
I also like Bradley Walsh but think Jodie overacts and the stories are a bit pants!

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List