Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Feb 20, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Win the wilderness Alaska

Anyone been watching this? I am fascinated by it. I want to know more about Duane and Rena. I also find it hard to get my head around why anyone would want to live somewhere so far removed from society. It is beautiful though.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I can fully understand the dream of living away from civilisation. If honest, I do not even like most people.

The realities can be somewhat different, when you have medical emergencies, need treatment, age catches up, you have young, vulnerable children, educational needs etc.

Whilst I have at various times ‘survived’ in Norway in feb, Cyprus in August, German plains in Jan , Dartmoor in December etc, help and a logistical chain were in fact not very far away, should anything unforeseen occur. We could have been medivacced rather quickly.

For those reasons, I would find the risks of a full, permanent family life without support unacceptable.

Another consideration would be age. What happens if age and infirmity catches up with you rendering you unable to continue? Pension pot for when you return? Medical care? For many the house is valueless and therefore unsalable. If you have to cash in your assets and return to the world, it may come to zero.

Good programme and interesting.. but only that. I would sooner come second and thus get the experience and media exposure (for later financial gain), than win. If I wanted that kind of life for real, then I would look to the Orkneys, Hebrides etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:48 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I can fully understand the dream of living away from civilisation. If honest, I do not even like most people.

The realities can be somewhat different, when you have medical emergencies, need treatment, age catches up, you have young, vulnerable children, educational needs etc.

Whilst I have at various times ‘survived’ in Norway in feb, Cyprus in August, German plains in Jan , Dartmoor in December etc, help and a logistical chain were in fact not very far away, should anything unforeseen occur. We could have been medivacced rather quickly.

For those reasons, I would find the risks of a full, permanent family life without support unacceptable.

Another consideration would be age. What happens if age and infirmity catches up with you rendering you unable to continue? Pension pot for when you return? Medical care? For many the house is valueless and therefore unsalable. If you have to cash in your assets and return to the world, it may come to zero.

Good programme and interesting.. but only that. I would sooner come second and thus get the experience and media exposure (for later financial gain), than win. If I wanted that kind of life for real, then I would look to the Orkneys, Hebrides etc.
I agree with everything you have said apart from I don't know if I would be happy not seeing anyone for days. I was also thinking if there was a forest fire there would be little chance of escape. A bit morbid I know but we were in the smoky mountains a few months after the fires and had to miss Yosemite due to fires so it does make you think.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Just started watching, seem the first two. What a couple to have made such an amazing home.

Looking forward to seeing the rest. Haven't made my mind up who will get this lovely property.

Melvin and Lesley