Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 29 Nov 21, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Brownies

DD loves making Brownies, and is wanting to make some for gifts for people for Christmas - will it be better to ‘traybake’ them and cut into squares to decorate or cook in a square cupcake tin?

Also can Brownies be frozen?
Old 29 Nov 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
DD loves making Brownies, and is wanting to make some for gifts for people for Christmas - will it be better to ‘traybake’ them and cut into squares to decorate or cook in a square cupcake tin?

Also can Brownies be frozen?
I always use the Nigel Slater brownie recipe and it is perfect every time! Also I only every bake them traybake style and they are delicious. Not sure about freezing them, mine never last that long!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

DD uses a Jane’s patisserie recipie, and yes usually they don’t last, but she wants to give some as gifts. She is only 12 and it’s the first time she has actively chosen to bake gifts. I think she plans on baking 5-6 batches so thought I could do over a few days!
Old 29 Nov 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

I’ve been using Janes Patisserie recipes, I couldn’t leave the raspberry brownies alone, everytime I opened the fridge I had a spoon in my hand (sadly I’ve lost my taste and smell now so I’m relaying on Hubby to pass comment) The raspberry ones are delicious, but I don’t think you can freeze them.
If you go onto her website, and scroll down past the recipe your daughter is using, there’s questions and answers there, I’m sure most of them can be frozen .
Hope that all makes sense

I think I would tray bake them, and cut them into slices, as if there’s any “messy” sides….you can cut them off and eat them, erm I mean make them nice and neat for her presents

Edited at 10:26 PM.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Brownies definitely freeze well. I wouldn't use cupcake tins as they would be too easy to overcook and lose the chewy texture.
Old 29 Nov 21, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Thanks- i will go with the traybake and ensure nice neat edges and trim them well!
Old 30 Nov 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Thanks- i will go with the traybake and ensure nice neat edges and trim them well!
Just a little note to say some of my customers LOVE the edges and we're quite upset when I cut them all off! 🙈

This was made in a rectangle baking tray and cut into pieces.

Brownies are such a good idea as presents. Hope your daughter has fun making them.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post
Just a little note to say some of my customers LOVE the edges and we're quite upset when I cut them all off! 🙈

Brownies are such a good idea as presents. Hope your daughter has fun making them.
Do you have a recipe for the choc icing on your brownie? It looks delish!
Old 30 Nov 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ive been using the ATK recipe for a couple of years now and never had a bad batch

myrecipereviews/2020/05/...hewy-brownies/

i've started modifying it slightly, and have reduced the sugar by around half, but i add in other things, like pecans, dried cherries, etc.

*edit*
as for freezing them, if you undercook the whole tray by 10 mins or so, then put in the freezer for half an hour in the tray, you should be able to slide it straight out and slice. put what you dont want back in the freezer in bags, and put what you do want in a low (140-160) oven for ~10-15 mins to warm up and finish off. i'd say 20-25 mins if they are completely frozen.

but personally, a whole tray can be gone in under a week, so i just keep them in an airtight tub in the fridge

Edited at 10:31 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post

Pleassssseeee post that recipe
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List