Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Jan 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Charlie's First WDW Adventure - Sep/Oct 2019 - Day 6: Cracker Barrel, Premium Outlets & Epcot

Index can be found here

Friday 4th October

It was an early wake up for Charlie at 6am but luckily on getting him into bed with us be fell back to sleep! Whilst he was still asleep I got up and got myself showered and dressed. He woke up at 8am and by 8:35am we were all set and ready to go… breakfast at Cracker Barrel was on the agenda! I was super excited about this as despite several trips we had never been before and after so many rave reviews from Rach it was time to finally check it out for ourselves (it had even made it onto my must-do list for this trip!)

Charlie kept himself entertained in the car with his new bucket from Animal Kingdom the day before and his new dinosaurs that we had picked up at t-Rex the night previous.

Paul informed us on the journey that we needed fuel so he pulled into the a nearby garage but decided it looked a bit ‘pikey’ (for want of a better word!) so we drove back out again with a plan to stop somewhere else! We made it to the Cracker Barrel on the 192 shortly after.

On entering I was immediately blown away with how quaint and charming it was! The gift shop was just adorable and I was excited to have an explore once we had eaten! We headed up to the check-in desk and were seated straight away. It wasn’t too busy at this point but it definitely got busier whilst we were there.

On sitting down I got Charlie settled in his highchair and got him started on a banana that I had brought with me. Our lovely server Cyndi came over and took all our orders (the service was faultless, she was fantastic and so friendly!). The dinosaurs of course also came out to join us!

Whilst we were waiting for the food to arrive we set about playing the peg game that they have on the tables (tee game, sorry Rach!). Paul, being the competitive sportsman that he is, got somewhat frustrated with this to say the least… I thought he was going to hurl it across the room at one point!

We all ended up all having a go but can confirm that none of us cracked it… well Charlie managed to get all the pegs (tees, sorry) out but I don’t think he was playing by the rules!

Soon our food arrived, a mixture of cooked breakfasts, pancakes and cereal for Charlie… it was all so delicious but as always the portions were enormous! I also had a caramel latter which I can confirm was the best I have ever tasted! Anywhere!

It was such a lovely breakfast, we have eaten in many places when in the US but without a doubt this is now my favourite place to have breakfast… I’m just sad it has taken us this long to try it out! The atmosphere was so welcoming and laid back, it was a lovely way to start the day.

With very full bellies we settled the bill (leaving Cyndi a much well-deserved large tip!) and made our way back through to have a look around the shop.

I loved how quirky the shop was with the most random selection of things! There was a lovely little display of Christmas decorations so I secretly picked up a Dad tree decoration for Paul ($3.99) and also a pumpkin book for Charlie ($7.99). The staff in the store were so friendly, it felt like we were regular customers that they knew personally the way were being treated, so wonderful!

While the others were still browsing I took Charlie outside and we had a little sit on the rocking chairs and played with the checkers board.

Before long the others came out to join us and it was time to set off (now 10:30am). Another thing ticked off my list!

Back in the car we headed off to our next destination… the Vineland premium outlets! Along the way we stopped at a Racetrac for fuel (this one was more to Paul’s liking it seemed!). Paul went inside to pay for $35 worth of fuel and the woman who worked there came out to fill up for him, lovely service! We also made a brief stop to put some air in the tyres as the warming light had recently come on.

Charlie was keeping himself entertained with his new book!

With fuel and air sorted we soon arrived at the outlets and parked up ready for some shopping!

We decided to split up from Joan and John as we knew we would achieve more that way (Charlie would no doubt be slowing us down and we knew that they had quite a bit of shopping they wanted to do!). Charlie was in great spirits this morning and was loving having a good wander around. It was rather quiet which was nice.

Our first stop was Character Warehouse. I was concerned we would struggle here as I had heard various reports of queues just to get in the shop but on arriving out front we found we were able to enter straight away. Whilst there I picked up a good haul of bits including a couple of t-shirts for myself, a Mickey ice-cube maker and some sequined Minnie ears for the bargain price of $4.99 (I originally bought just one pair for my niece but ended up coming back later for another pair for my sister so they had matching! I’m now regretting not getting myself a pair too!).

Next stop was Aeropostale where I picked up a t-shirt, a hoodie and a pair of joggers for myself (I’m all about the lounge wear!)

We also made a stop in American Eagle where Paul picked up some pants and then headed back to Character Warehouse so I could pick up another pair of the ears and whilst there I also grabbed a Haunted Mansion mug that I couldn’t resist ($5.99)

It was now time to meet back up with Joan and John in Ralph Lauren. Paul went off for a wander around whilst I plotted up in a corner with Charlie… he was getting super tired by this point... so much so that he was close to falling asleep in the middle of the shop floor!

Paul bought himself a couple of half-zip jumpers which me managed to get a further 25% off by buying a $5 charity bracelet, great result (and he gave me the bracelet so that was nice!). From there we headed back to the car, by now it was 1:20pm. Despite being so tired Charlie was full of the joys of spring and was having a great giggle with Nanny in the car (Charlie goes to Joan one day a week when I am at work and they have the most wonderful bond, he adores her!). Still holding onto that bucket too!

On arriving back at the villa it was a quick turnaround with us heading back out at 2:15pm… we were off to Epcot for the afternoon and evening and we had a FP for Test Track ending at 3:05pm so we were in a rush to make it for that! We parked up in Create 42 at 2:35pm. Joan and I jumped on the tram whilst Paul and John walked to the entrance with Charlie in the pushchair.

Whilst making our way through the no-bag line Charlie fell asleep… rice cake in hand! I’m amazed he lasted this long to be fair, he was exhausted!

Paul and John were held up in a rather long queue to get through bag check and as we were short of time Joan and I started making our way over to Test Track.

Luckily the boys weren’t too far behind us and we made it in time to make our FPs. These were on mine and Paul’s bands so we rode first, getting rider switch added to Joan and John’s band so they could ride after us. Paul of course took charge in designing us a super cool car!

On us exiting Test Track and meeting back up with Joan and John we realised the FPs for Soarin’ that were on their bands were about to expire so we decided to head there, making a plan to return back to Test Track later so they would use their rider switch passes. As we were leaving Charlie woke up rather upset and I ended up having to carry him all the way over to The Land… that’s a long walk when carrying a heavy toddler I can tell you!

It was at this point I made another rider switch boo boo! So Joan and John both had FPs for Soarin’ on their bands so we then added rider switch for it onto mine and Paul’s bands and also thought we would put it on Joan’s too so she could ride again (as you are able to get it for up to 3 people)… now this was a mistake as I didn’t realise that you can only hold one active rider switch at a time so by adding on that Soarin’ one it cancelled out her Test Track one that was already on there! Doh! This really was a learning curve! Anyway, Joan and John headed in using their FPs whilst Paul and I went and sat down in the nearby waiting area with Charlie (there is a seating area at the exit of Soarin’ that I had never noticed before, it really is perfect for waiting with a little one!). Whilst sat down here Charlie fell back to sleep!

I was starting to feel a little peckish at this point and as I was pinned under a sleeping Charlie, Paul kindly went off to find me a snack from Sunshine Seasons, returning with a cookie! Exactly the sugar hit I needed! He also picked up a Coke for himself.

On Joan and John returning Charlie was still sound asleep and not wanting to disturb him I suggested that John took my band and the three of them could ride Soarin’ again using the three rider switch passes we had. I was quite enjoying the rest and the cuddles if I am honest! They soon returned and as Charlie was still asleep I handed him over to Paul so he could carry him out (after that long walk over my back was not fit for another stretch of carrying him!)

On making it out of The Land we retrieved the pushchair and successfully transferred Charlie into it still asleep.

We made our way back over to Test Track and the three of them went on to ride (I can’t remember how we managed this as Joan’s rider switch had been canceled but somehow they all got on!). As Charlie was asleep I thought I would take the opportunity to have a wander around MouseGear, but within minutes of walking in Charlie woke up, typical! So I headed back out and plotted up on a bench and gave him some veggie straws and a drink.

Whilst sat there I got chatting to a lovely lady who was sat next to us. She was from Kentucky but spends 6 months of the year in Orlando and has an annual pass to the parks… talk about living the dream! She offered to take a photo of Charlie and I which was very sweet.

Waving the lovely lady goodbye we headed over to the exit of Test Track to find the others. Whilst there Charlie enjoyed playing on the various machines, it’s great how interactive it is in here!

It wasn’t long before the others came out and joined us. Whilst in there Joan, Charlie and I jumped in to get our photos with the automatic machines. These are sent by e-mail and arrived in my inbox pretty soon after we had them taken (sorry Charlie for blocking your face out in the last one!)

By now our breakfast at Cracker Barrel felt like a long time ago so it was definitely time for food so we headed over to The Electric Umbrella to get some dinner (arriving there at 6:10pm). The others went up to order whilst I found a table and got Charlie settled in a highchair… yes you guessed it, the dinosaurs came out!

Whilst he was playing with them a little girl who was sat at the next table came over to speak to him and told me he was very cute. Her name was Danielle and she told me she was 5 years old, her birthday was 29th October and she was from Ohio (it always amazes me how forward US children are, it was like chatting to an adult, she was so grown up!). I got chatting to her Mum and she was saying how hard the toddler years are, especially at Disney (which was reassuring to hear, it wasn’t just us!). It was lovely chatting with them and Danielle was an absolute delight!

Soon enough the others were back with our food… Charlie and I both went for the flatbread and it was delicious!

Once we had finished our food it was time to head to Spaceship Earth for our last booked FP of the day.

Charlie had ants in his pants whilst we were riding, it was a struggle to keep him sat down! Not helped by the fact that it kept stopping so it took much longer to get around than normal! He did enjoy the video at the end though and was pointing out Mummy and Daddy in the video!

On leaving Spaceship Earth the plan was to send the rest of the evening on World Showcase, ending the night by watching the new lagoon show Epcot Forever (I had purposely worn by new Illuminations t-shirt that evening in honour of the show we had just said goodbye to a mere few days earlier!). On the walk round we also got out some glowsticks that we had brought with us which Charlie loved.

We started our walk around World Showcase in Mexico and headed inside as I wanted to pick up a pressed penny. Whilst inside we also found some great props for photos!

On leaving Mexico we also made a stop by this wall for more photos… because who can’t resist a random Disney wall for photos?! John’s sideways cap still has me chuckling!

We carried on making our way around World Showcase, stopping in Norway to pick up a bubble wand from the cart that stationed there ($25!). Despite our objections, Nanny and Grandad kindly bought this for Charlie and he absolutely loved it! I know they are super annoying (I have been one of those people that get stuck walking behind a child with one and end up with a face full of bubbles) but the look on Charlie face with it made it absolutely worth it!

As we passed through China I left the others and ran inside the pavilion to find the pressed penny machine… this goal to collect a penny from each pavilion was proving more of a challenge than I first thought as just tracking down the machines was a mission in itself! I never realised just how big each of these pavilions were until this trip!

I met back up with the others and Charlie seemed to be running into some difficulty with his bubble wand… it wasn’t really blowing the bubbles out of the top, more just creating a big mass of bubbles! We were pretty sure that wasn’t right so stopped by another nearby cart and had it changed for a new one (with no difficulty at all). This one seemed to work much better thankfully! (We later discovered that it did this when the battery was running low as clearly there wasn’t enough air being blown out!)

Next stop was Germany and a quick dash inside from me to pick up a pressed penny… this was becoming quite the physical challenge, I was running all over the place to get them ticked off the list!

Whilst in Germany we made a stop to look at the model trains (these always remind me of Rach’s husband Chris who loves them!)

On making it to Italy I was rather distraught to find the pressed penny machine was broken! I asked the CM working in the shop if there was another machine but this was the only one! My heart sank! She said that an engineer was due out to fix it in the next couple of days so I was keeping fingers crossed it would be working again come our next (and final) visit!

When we arrived in the USA pavilion we found Taylor Dayne performing on stage (nope, no idea who she is but we stopped briefly to have a watch!)

We were all feeling a little thirsty so we swung by Fire and Drum Tavern for some drinks… a slush each for Joan and I, a water for John and a Coke for Paul. By this time Taylor’s set had finished so we went over to sit on the benches by the stage but were soon moved on as they were clearing it out! Whilst in USA I also popped into the shop to hunt down the pressed penny machine… thankfully this one was working!

It was fast approaching the start of Epcot Forever so we made our way back to the Italy Pavilion and plotted ourselves up by the fences overlooking the lagoon. It was surprisingly quiet given how close to the show starting and we had no trouble finding a good spot. Before long it started and we all enjoyed it… it’s no Iluminations but was lovely nonetheless and I loved the use of the Figment music.

On the show ending we began making our way to the front of the park. Charlie refused to get in his pushchair (a reoccurring theme of the holiday!) so I ended up carrying him the whole way… my back was in pieces! (He was refusing to let anyone but me carry him!) We made a quick stop in MouseGear as I wanted to pick up an Epcot Forever t-shirt as a memento (seemed only right seeing as I had an Illuminations one!)

We finally made it back to the car at 10:55pm and it was an uneventful drive back to the villa. On arriving back I put Charlie straight to bed. Paul put a Tim Tracker video on the TV but I could barely keep my eyes open so at 12:15 I admitted defeat and took myself off to bed! The end of another fun day that included a wonderful breakfast, a successful shopping trip and new fireworks!

Join me for the next installment that will see us enjoying some pool time and then back in Magic Kingdom experiencing Happily Ever After for the very first time!

Day 7 can be found here

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for posting 🙂
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

It took me about 4 hours of being constantly interrupted by my two (how dare they...) but another fab instalment! Love all the details you put in.

You’ve sold Cracker Barrel to me! Although that shop looks like a parents nightmare with so much easily grabable tat.

Yay to the bubble wand... has to be done.

Glad you enjoyed the fireworks even if they weren’t illuminations! Must google when the new show will start.

Charlie sounds like he’s been so good on another busy day (anti pram bits aside).

Good tip about ride switch thank you!

The little photo shoot in Mexico is very sweet. Your in laws seem so much fun.

Glad you mentioned shopping was beginning to wonder if you went xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Am loving reading along Lisa! Another fab day in Orlando! We too got suckered into a noisy bubble wand! Was a good idea at the time! Will look forward to reading the next installment!

Em
xxxx
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Ahhhhh Cracker Barrel LOL at the tee game pics, exactly like Chris! Boys eh?
I am SO glad you loved your breakfasts! Only took you 3 years to finally listen to me

Aww that is a shame about the rider switch boo boo, but I am happy to see they got on anyway! So no harm done!

Totally agree that American children always sounds older than their years!

Aww love that photo of Charlie looking at you guys on the Spaceship Earth screen! Too cute! And he looks very happy with his bubble wand! Abi loved hers too!

Hehehe Chris does love those trains!

Oooooh Figment music, I like!

Another lovely day, looking forward to the next one! xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Loving your trip report so far. Charlie is so cute! He reminds me of my DS (now 18) loved a TV programme called Harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs, and my DS had to have a bucket with toy dinosaurs too. He knew them all and could pronounce all the names - and still can!

We love Cracker Barrel too - the pancakes are THE best. We love the biscuits too, so soft and just like our scones. When they come hot from the oven they are soooo yummy. The peg (sorry tee) game is great fun. I managed to do the reverse of what you're meant to do - I got left with 7
Old 10 Jan 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A really good day you can’t beat a Cracker Barrel breakfast sets you for the day,

Joan
Old 10 Jan 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie4Mickey
Imagineer

awww I can't believe you hadn't been to Cracker Barrel before, it is one of our favourites! I love it then, so glad you have been now. I also agree I had a caramel latte in there on our last visit, so delicious.

Also can you tell I have major Florida blues, I have been reading your report all day (whilst at work lol) and it's getting me in major Honeymoon planning mode!

Instagram: kimberlys_journeyy
Youtube: Kimberly's Journey
Orlando 16 - Food Report
We got engaged trip 19 - Food Report
Minnie4Mickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafour View Post
Really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for posting 🙂
Thank you so much for reading, it really does spur me on to keep going with it knowing that people are actually reading it!

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
It took me about 4 hours of being constantly interrupted by my two (how dare they...) but another fab instalment! Love all the details you put in.

You’ve sold Cracker Barrel to me! Although that shop looks like a parents nightmare with so much easily grabable tat.

Yay to the bubble wand... has to be done.

Glad you enjoyed the fireworks even if they weren’t illuminations! Must google when the new show will start.

Charlie sounds like he’s been so good on another busy day (anti pram bits aside).

Good tip about ride switch thank you!

The little photo shoot in Mexico is very sweet. Your in laws seem so much fun.

Glad you mentioned shopping was beginning to wonder if you went xx
Haha can you believe it took until day 6 for us to hit the shops?! How times change!

I absolutely recommend Cracker Barrel... although yes, that shop is a toddler's dream and a parent's worse nightmare! Maybe take it in turns to look around whilst the other waits outside!

Originally Posted by redemma13 View Post
Am loving reading along Lisa! Another fab day in Orlando! We too got suckered into a noisy bubble wand! Was a good idea at the time! Will look forward to reading the next installment!

Em
xxxx
A bubble wand that makes noise too?! Wow I didn't even know these existed (and am quite thankful we avoided one to be honest! ) Thank you so much for sticking with me on this one!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Ahhhhh Cracker Barrel LOL at the tee game pics, exactly like Chris! Boys eh?
I am SO glad you loved your breakfasts! Only took you 3 years to finally listen to me

Aww that is a shame about the rider switch boo boo, but I am happy to see they got on anyway! So no harm done!

Totally agree that American children always sounds older than their years!

Aww love that photo of Charlie looking at you guys on the Spaceship Earth screen! Too cute! And he looks very happy with his bubble wand! Abi loved hers too!

Hehehe Chris does love those trains!

Oooooh Figment music, I like!

Another lovely day, looking forward to the next one! xxx
I am very sad we didn't listen to you sooner on the whole amazingness of Cracker Barrel... we have totally been missing out!

The pure joy of a child that has a bubble wand... similar to me with a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate on a Friday night!

Originally Posted by JudeB View Post
Loving your trip report so far. Charlie is so cute! He reminds me of my DS (now 18) loved a TV programme called Harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs, and my DS had to have a bucket with toy dinosaurs too. He knew them all and could pronounce all the names - and still can!

We love Cracker Barrel too - the pancakes are THE best. We love the biscuits too, so soft and just like our scones. When they come hot from the oven they are soooo yummy. The peg (sorry tee) game is great fun. I managed to do the reverse of what you're meant to do - I got left with 7
Haha that is so funny, my sister bought Charlie a Harry and the Dinosaurs book for his birthday of the back of this obsession with his AK bucket and T-Rex dinosaurs!

I want to buy one of those peg/tee games so I can get some practise in!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A really good day you can’t beat a Cracker Barrel breakfast sets you for the day,

Joan
That breakfast was so delicious, I can't believe it has taken us this long to try it out!

Originally Posted by Minnie4Mickey View Post
awww I can't believe you hadn't been to Cracker Barrel before, it is one of our favourites! I love it then, so glad you have been now. I also agree I had a caramel latte in there on our last visit, so delicious.

Also can you tell I have major Florida blues, I have been reading your report all day (whilst at work lol) and it's getting me in major Honeymoon planning mode!
Haha I hope this report has been helping ease the Florida blues a little... although with a wedding and a honeymoon to plan there sure is lots of wonderfulness on the horizon!