Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 7 Nov 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Sights,Bites,Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 9. It’s a bit windy at the Westin

Thursday 7 October

Sigh, I know you can’t control the weather on holiday, but for weeks the weather in Malta had been uninterrupted sunshine.

This week was turning out to be unpredictable and the wind was making it quite cold outside when the sun went in. This Sicilian storm seriously needed to do one

The forecast was rubbish

As was my breakfast

The churros were dreadful

It was a double red flag day and the seafront area was closed

You could see why

Wouldn’t want the guests to be swept out on their loungers!

Fortunately our favoured cabin gave us a bit of shelter and we spent the morning chatting to another couple who were here for just a week and we traded restaurant tips

We ordered the Mexican chicken wrap to share for lunch

and I had a Blue Hawaiian

All very nice.

There was a brief shower so we went in. Our room was always one of the last to be cleaned and no matter how busy the floor was, or what time we came and went, it wasn’t done which was a bit frustrating as it meant there was also never a coffee refill when we went up.

So we came back down to the lounge and had an apple martini (very sweet) and beer

Apparently some fries were ordered and I had the tiramisu

We sat playing cards and watching tv until it was time to get changed for dinner.

Tonight was another attempt at a steak

The hotel car dropped us off in Sliema at Little Argentina

No cocktails here, so red wine and Welsh Water

It was a casual cantina place - and kitted out from IKEA so we spent a while spotting things we have also purchased over he years

It was steaks all the way for us

The free appetiser was a bit dry

Those biscuits looked and tasted like buttons

I had asked for my steak t be cooked medium to well ... which generally means it’s pinkish in the very middle

Sadly, it came out more on the “well - to very chewy- omg it’s been cremated “ side

And sadly , also salty

Happily Andy’s steak was neither salty nor over cooked and he was very happy

I have decided in future I can only order steak if it’s Flo’s filet at Longhorns or it’s at Shula’s.
All other orders seem to lead me to disappointment .

We were offered a free dessert - a creme caramel with dulce leche. Gosh this was lovely - super sweet - but so light

It was very busy - with every other table not being used for social distancing it had quite reduced capacity so definitely needed to be booked. The service was lovely and Andy raved about his steak.

We asked if they could order us a taxi and we were shown the Bolt app... their Uber equivalent. It almost halved the cost of the remaining taxi fares on our trip.

I checked the forecast again .. it had become a bit of an obsession .. and now it looked ok for tomorrow so we decided we would take a hop on hop off tour in the morning and see where that led us.

Back at the hotel and it was heaving. There was some conference going on and now each time you went in and out of the lobby your temperature was taken.

As it was packed we passed on the idea of a nightcap and just headed off to bed.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A shame about the weather today. Your steak does look a bit overdone, stick to the Flo's Filet for sure! I can't wait to get back to a Longhorns steak. Nice of them to show you the app for cheaper taxis.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Such a shame about the weather! At least tomorrow looks a lot nicer. I would be gutted about not having a decent steak twice in a row too! Why the need for so much salt?!
Cocktails look fab though, I like the look of that Blue Hawaiian

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a pity the weather was rubbish for you today. Hope it’s better for you tomorrow. 🤞

The ‘buttons’ for your appetiser look a bit strange.

Steak can definitely be hit and miss. I often end up disappointed too and have food envy when I see someone else on my table always seems to get the good one. 😫
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List