Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 31 Oct 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Sights, Bites and Maltese Delights. Malta Oct 21. Day 6 Part 2. Still better in Valletta

Part 2 Lascaris War Rooms

We left part 1 with us making our way over to the War rooms after being assured by Apple maps it was 5 minutes

Yeah right

5 minutes if you are a Tibetan mountain goat with an Olympic medal in the 100 m dash.

What we hadn’t realised from the map was just how blimmin hilly the place is

a great place for your (literal) step count but maybe not so great for two slightly rotund and unfit over 50 year olds.

Anyway, off we set ..

Uphill

Downhill

Past lovely side streets, quaint shops and interesting buildings

It was a gorgeous sunny day and the streets all looked so lovely but my goodness we were hot trogging up and down the streets .

until we eventually found our way to the walls and waterside

Beautiful looking out over the bay

The water was such a beautiful colour

We finally found the war rooms sign

and going down even more steps

Well, this sign is to the point

Bad photography or spooky going on-ness?

It’s 12 euros entrance with the audio guide.

Slightly larger on the text

There was loads to read. Coming from a forces family, I always find these places interesting and we learned so much about Malta and the Second World War.

We’d not long been to a visit around the code breakers site at Bletchley Park and the way this was laid out felt very similar.

The hot seat overseeing operations

There were lots of RAF exhibits. I had a real pang of the loss of missing my Dad as we went round. I wanted so much to tell him all about what we had seen. 😔

The stories on the Allied and German ace pilots was fascinating. A lot of Canadians featured on the allied side .. which was another interesting thing for me with my Grandad coming over from Canada during the war and meeting my Gran.

Not v comfy bunks ..

The days before mobiles ...

And the Internet ...

You finish up in a room which is where they say Eisenhower and Montgomery oversaw operation Husky. We just sat for a bit thinking about it all. And thinking about all the people who had lived in the tunnels for months during the bombardment.

It was quite narrow down there

And felt a bit claustrophobic with just a couple of tourists in the tunnels so can’t imagine hat it was like when it was packed.

It had been another really fascinating couple of hours.

We were wilting now though . Not helped when we came out basically into a car park and no idea how to get up to the gardens up here

No steps in sight and just a sign to the cruise terminal

It was impossible to see how we got up there. It was like a supermario level where you needed mega warp jump skills to scale the wall

So it was back the way we came and more hills

We were headed to a craft gin place called Wild Honey I had read about but it was closed

So we popped next door to Cafe Jubilee

For much needed cold libations

As we were not far from where we’d had breakfast we decided to pop back to see if we could sit inside

We got a table near the bar but upstairs as closed which was a shame

Hot sweaty mess with hat hair

I had a mai tai

And the thing I had wanted at breakfast was now blinking sold out so we tried the beef and pea pastizzi... all pea and no beef in mine though

As it was my birthday I ordered a snickers cake .. toffee caramel and peanut mousse.

They initially brought me a lemon meringue

Nope wasn’t having any of that that.

It finally arrived

Definitely a good choice

Birthday goals .. cocktail and cake

Tasting face engaged

It was delicious

And they still insisted it had been a meringue 🤦

We’d had a lovely time but were completely knackered with the walking and decided the gardens could wait. It was hot and decidedly busier so we thought we would call it a day and head back for an old persons nap before dinner out later

That’s in part 3 ...
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The war rooms sound really interesting even if it was uphill, downhill and then uphill again to get there.

Lovely birthday cake and cocktails for lunch. Shame they had sold out of your first choice and then you ended up with all pea and no beef in your pastizzi.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

What had you wanted to eat at breakfast that was then sold out? Cake looked good!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The war rooms sound really interesting even if it was uphill, downhill and then uphill again to get there.

Lovely birthday cake and cocktails for lunch. Shame they had sold out of your first choice and then you ended up with all pea and no beef in your pastizzi.
It was interesting. I think we must have taken the indirect route yes the cake and cocktails made up for the pasty

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
What had you wanted to eat at breakfast that was then sold out? Cake looked good!
It was a bombette .. a ham and mozzarella dough ball . I reckon they just never made any that day ! And the cake was
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
It was interesting. I think we must have taken the indirect route yes the cake and cocktails made up for the pasty

It was a bombette .. a ham and mozzarella dough ball . I reckon they just never made any that day ! And the cake was
A bombette sounds amazing!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Stunning pics of the city Amanda!
I can’t believe how hilly Malta is, at least you didn’t get lost though 😉
The war rooms sound fascinating, somewhere I’d definitely have to visit.
I’d not considered Malta before but I think I’ll plan a sneaky week as it looks beautiful

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My boys would love the War Rooms! We didn't get a chance to visit it when we stopped in Malta on our cruise, but definitely want to come back for a holiday.
Old 14 Nov 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
A bombette sounds amazing!
I know. I really wanted to try one

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Stunning pics of the city Amanda!
I can’t believe how hilly Malta is, at least you didn’t get lost though 😉
The war rooms sound fascinating, somewhere I’d definitely have to visit.
I’d not considered Malta before but I think I’ll plan a sneaky week as it looks beautiful
Well, the good thing is you can see the sea pretty much wherever you are so it’s easy enough to criss cross the city once you work out which side you are on
A week would be good I think. Most people we spoke to had come for a week. We might have overstretched with the two weeks ...

The war rooms were interesting. We hadnt appreciated the significance of Malta in WW11 and we learnt loads. Very humbling. We didn’t get to some of the other museums. Maybe another time...

Originally Posted by JudeB View Post
My boys would love the War Rooms! We didn't get a chance to visit it when we stopped in Malta on our cruise, but definitely want to come back for a holiday.
Ah, yes, it’s definitely a cool place and brings the war to life in quite a unique way.
Old 28 Nov 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Ooh that definitely looks too hilly for me. Think I’d have lost my sense of humour if I came out of the war rooms and couldn’t find my way up without more hills. 🙈

Cocktails and cake sound good though.
jocat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List