Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 May 22, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 15 – Caspersen Beach, Manatees and back to Tampa and Home

Florida 2022 – The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 15 – Caspersen Beach, Manatees and back to Tampa and Home

Our last day – boooo! Two weeks had gone so quickly. It always seems like you have so very long to wait for holidays to happen and then they’re gone in the blink of an eye.

We were going to enjoy today though as our flight wasn’t until early evening. We had breakfast at the Blu’ Island Bistro – and it was the best one that Will had the entire holiday regarding eggs, bacon, hash brown etc. We sat outside in the sun on the patio. It was obviously very popular as there became a steady stream of people joining the wait for a table.

After checking out we went on the correct road to Caspersen Beach. We parked up and walked down onto the beach. I had intended bringing a small sieve from home to look for fossilised shark teeth, but forgot. We walked up and down the beach but didn’t find any – I don’t think I was deep enough into the water and didn’t want to fork out for a sieve as we were only going to be there a little while. Cheapskate! Now I regret it, and the fact we didn't explore enough of Venice town.

The pier was lovely and we walked to the end and watched the pelicans and people fishing.
When we walked back there was a long line to get into Sharky’s restaurant, which was now open for brunch at 11.30am. It looked hectic!

Our final stop was going to be the Manatee Viewing Centre at Big Bend Power Station, south of Tampa. We had last been here 26 February 2018. It was unseasonably hot then and all the manatees thought it warm enough to head back out to sea, so we didn’t see any. I did wonder if we would get the same this time, but we were in luck as there were some there.

The nature walk and viewing tower were closed, but we probably wouldn’t have had time to do them anyway. We walked out on the boardwalk and watched the manatees for a while – beautiful creatures. There were also loads of big Tarpon.
Then we said hi to the rays in the tank inside.

Google excelled herself to get us back to the airport car return, via topping up the petrol. Through loads of backstreets and seemingly avoiding the traffic, straight to the place we needed.
It was a bit chaotic as Ais didn’t seem to have enough people to move out the cars before more came in. The guy who did our scanning was lovely and pointed us a route through the cars where cases would fit too!

Check in was fine. Other people were complaining about Verifly too and our printed documents were accepted. Security was pretty straightforward too.

It was the first arrival there of an airline from Austria (I can’t remember which) and they were obviously celebrating the arrival. There was a band playing and the men all had leather shorts on! The girls had pretty Sound of Music gear on. The music was pretty dreadful, especially when they started yodelling. Thankfully it was sporadic, and we had gone by the time their plane arrived.

We were sat in the middle to go home as I didn’t bother booking seats. I figured it would be dark most of the way, so didn’t mind too much not having a window as Will could have his favourite aisle seat. The man next to me clearly didn’t want to chat and just grunted a hello back, so that was fine by me. I watched ‘The Little Things’ with Denzil Washington and Rami Malek in – very good. We both managed to get a bit of sleep too.

The flight was ok, a bit bumpy, but we landed a bit early about 7.15am at Gatwick. I was dreading passport control but it was absolutely empty and we sailed through. The cases took a while because of this but we didn’t have to wait too long. Then it was back on the Hotel bus to pick up the car. Dead easy.

I was worried about the morning rush hour on the M25 and M3 and Google took us down the A3M in the end. We went straight to pick up Pepper, our cat, from the cattery and she was really pleased to see us.

Then home and all over.

Summary

It was just brilliant being away after so long! The weather was much warmer than we expected with no need for coats or cardigans, even at night. Every hotel was a good one, some especially so.

It was much busier than we expected. We knew it was snowbird season but the amount of people and traffic around Disney and the beaches was crazy, even midweek. Longer waits at restaurants too.

Petrol – total cost for our trip was $130, a total bargain. So cheap compared to here. We hired a car from Edinburgh to go round Cairngorms with our son (who lives there) recently and it cost us £60 to fill it up after 3 days! God knows what Americans must think if they drive over here.

I don’t know when we’ll be going back to Florida, but we will. Not to parks though. I’d like to do more of the north-east coast, maybe St Augustine up to
Savannah/Charleston/Hilton Head, and across to the Panhandle. So much more of USA is on my list though and, with both of us having dreaded big birthdays next year, we have a lot of food for thought.

It’s Vancouver/Vancouver Island and Washington/Oregon next on 5 September – 3rd time lucky please!

Hope you’ve enjoyed reading along and feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with.

Anji xx

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...2#post15302382

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 02:16 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports, you certainly packed a lot in and given me the inspiration to go back to Florida, thank you .
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rob & Jan View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports, you certainly packed a lot in and given me the inspiration to go back to Florida, thank you .
Oh that's lovely to hear Glad to have inspired you. There's so much more to Florida than theme parks! We've done 4 road trips and nowhere near have done it all yet. Happy planning!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for taking us along on your trip.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Really enjoyed following this, thanks for taking the time to write it.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great stuff and a really entertaining read. It’s always nice to see people ‘pushing out the boundaries’ beyond Orlando as there is simply so much to see!

For your next Florida, you are aware that you can fly into Daytona Beach via Atlanta?
You are aware that you can fly in or out of Pensacola via Atlanta if doing the Panhandle?

The ‘Panhandle purgatory’ report that is linked from my signature may give you some bits and pieces. Our London- Pensacola and Datona Beach - London came in at £435? Inc hold baggage.

The whole trip looked absolutely fascinating and the narrative informative, giving loads of info for those getting inspiration from your travels. It is my honest, truthful opinion, that yours is one of the very best and most interesting trip reports that I have ever read

I swore that our recent trip was our last to Florida. Whilst this is true of Orlando (which I skipped in your reports), it may not be, when looking at your Coastal route. There is simply so much to see that I have missed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:24 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Great stuff and a really entertaining read. It’s always nice to see people ‘pushing out the boundaries’ beyond Orlando as there is simply so much to see!

For your next Florida, you are aware that you can fly into Daytona Beach via Atlanta?
You are aware that you can fly in or out of Pensacola via Atlanta if doing the Panhandle?

The ‘Panhandle purgatory’ report that is linked from my signature may give you some bits and pieces. Our London- Pensacola and Datona Beach - London came in at £435? Inc hold baggage.

The whole trip looked absolutely fascinating and the narrative informative, giving loads of info for those getting inspiration from your travels. It is my honest, truthful opinion, that yours is one of the very best and most interesting trip reports that I have ever read

I swore that our recent trip was our last to Florida. Whilst this is true of Orlando (which I skipped in your reports), it may not be, when looking at your Coastal route. There is simply so much to see that I have missed!

Whhaaat!? OMG for you to say my report is one of the best you've ever read is both flattering and downright amazing to me! It's like Charles Dickens saying 'good book mate' to an aspiring writer.

Read my day where we visit Winter Park on the train after travelling from Clearwater - I think you'd like that one! The only 'Disney' day was their transport, not the parks, then it was off down the coast.

I've certainly read 'Panhandle Purgatory', a couple of times too, and will draw on it should we go that way, and the airport advice too. Can't wait to read your next one - we'll be in Vancouver and Seattle as part of our September trip with Canada.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 15 May 22, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Whhaaat!? OMG for you to say my report is one of the best you've ever read is both flattering and downright amazing to me! It's like Charles Dickens saying 'good book mate' to an aspiring writer.

Read my day where we visit Winter Park on the train after travelling from Clearwater - I think you'd like that one! The only 'Disney' day was their transport, not the parks, then it was off down the coast.

I've certainly read 'Panhandle Purgatory', a couple of times too, and will draw on it should we go that way, and the airport advice too. Can't wait to read your next one - we'll be in Vancouver and Seattle as part of our September trip with Canada.

Thanks again for your kind words.
We will be in Vancouver and Seattle in April of 2023 as part of our trip to Hawaii for Mandie’s 50th.. (I had to use up that Disney 50 photo album somehow). I will await your trip report with interest, as it may prove very useful to my own planning!

California, Nevada, Arizona next, in Oct as our first trip away without the boys. I am rather excited about that one.. and it is all in place, as in our pre trip report.

I am off now to read your Clearwater!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We will be in Vancouver and Seattle in April of 2023 as part of our trip to Hawaii for Mandie’s 50th.. (I had to use up that Disney 50 photo album somehow). I will await your trip report with interest, as it may prove very useful to my own planning!

California, Nevada, Arizona next, in Oct as our first trip away without the boys. I am rather excited about that one.. and it is all in place, as in our pre trip report.

I am off now to read your Clearwater!
Hope I can help out - there's some days in Seattle in my signature when we went from there to San Francisco a few years ago.

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022